Next up- 'AstroCaster' Ukulele build

Finished cutting, beveling & drilling control covers & pickguard today. Also applied sealer and a white lacquer basecoat before the 'Sublime' pearl finish on the body:

Attachments

• pickguard & covers.jpg
    pickguard & covers.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 23
  • white basecoat.jpg
    white basecoat.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
Painted the black accent on the headstock, tinted the neck amber, and started applying clear coats to both today:

Attachments

• neck tinted & body cleared.JPG
    neck tinted & body cleared.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 26
Got it all assembled today. It sounds fine, the whammy works great, and it looks just like it's big brother. I had a pretty big setback though; the wood & finish split as I was installing the mini 3-way switch. My fault; I forgot to ream out the mounting hole to clear out the built up finish. 'Course, then a guy takes his fret hammer to it in a futile effort to pound the split back in place.....Someday I'll disassemble it, repair the split and refinish the front of the body.

Attachments

• front done.JPG
    front done.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 26
  • tremolo back.JPG
    tremolo back.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 26
  • back done.JPG
    back done.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 24
  • big & little.jpg
    big & little.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 27
  • crap!.jpg
    crap!.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 32
I sanded the AstroCaster body back to wood to repair the split wood and a couple other small defects I found. Finally a sunny day in Oregon!

Attachments

• re-sanded.jpg
    re-sanded.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23
Ah yes, the self inflicted injury. I'm sure we have all been there. Big lesson I learned is to: Stop! Think! Wait! and then fix. Sometimes the solution is simple... I see you got the hammer dents out too which was worse than the split. Nice job.

crap!.jpg

Yeah, I think the hammer blows were more of a frustration vent than anything. Onward & upward with another white base coat.

Attachments

• base coat #2.jpg
    base coat #2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom