Hana Lima Vs. Antes Plans

Sawdust

Reaction score
I have two sets of plans, Hana Lima and Antes, both are for a tenor ukulele. The Hana Lima uses a Spanish style neck, the Antes uses a dovetail, a mortised or a optional Spanish style neck.
I think I like Antes plans the best but not sure, which plan is most used by others here on the forum. Help me make up my mind, please give me your thoughts on the plans.

As always thanks!
Sawdust

Ok, i will say it... For your 1st uke, and the size of a tenor the plan itself isn't going to make much difference to the sound of the finished uke. I would go with whichever methods seem most intuitive to you, and/or require you to buy the least amount of new tools. Both will make a good uke. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok, i will say it... For your 1st uke, and the size of a tenor the plan itself isn't going to make much difference to the sound of the finished uke. I would go with whichever methods seem most intuitive to you, and/or require you to buy the least amount of new tools. Both will make a good uke. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tools are not a problem, I have a fully equipped wood working shop, also a fairly nice set of luthier tools. I've made a lot of musical instruments, dulcimer's, strumsticks and Native American style flutes.
The ukulele will be a new challenge for me, in that the top and back will be made from two pieces of wood where as the dulcimer's were made using a one piece top and back, also the bracing in the dulcimer is not as complexed as the ukulele.

Last edited:
I think I've decided on the Antes plans, the plans have an option to make the back the same depth at the head and the heel, or to make a taper from heel to head. My question is which one does the majority of you guys make?

As always thanks!
Sawdust

back the same depth at the head and the heel, or to make a taper from heel to head. Sawdust

The back is the same depth (thickness) at neck and heal. It is the sides that taper. I think you meant to say the body not the back. I use a 3/16" or sometimes 1/4" taper over 12 inches (tenor) with the neck end shallower and deeper at the heel.

Some builders go for maximum sound box volume, but for the sake of elegance (and for the little difference it makes to the sound), taper the sides to a noticeable degree.

I taper mine. I think tenor sizes are more comfortable to hold if tapered, and look better.
I don't think the neck joint type matters (heresy, I know). Pick the one you're most comfortable with.

Top Bottom