Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Returning a New Uke :-( Online purchase -> a long, cautionary tale

Quote Originally Posted by Web_Parrot View Post
    And, I will say the return process was "easy". Aside from the time to document my reason/complaint, repack, print the label, and take to FedEx, it went fine.

I have sense visited a half-dozen "popular" on-line dealers and looked for their shipping and return policies. Only 2 of the 6 detailed the process and mentioned they would differentiate charging return shipping if other than a 'defect' were the reason.

Again, my intent was to provide a cautionary tale and encourage customers to engage IN ADVANCE of a purchase. Ask for examples of 'returnable defects' and a differentiation between flaws and defects. Phone calls are a nice personal touch, but followup with an email confirming the discussion. Perhaps the existence of this sort of communication and documentation will cause the person doing setup to increase the awareness for such "flaws!"
    Opening up my wallet for things like that is never easy! Glad your experience was different.
    Glenn

I've taken into consideration the return policies when making a purchase. Sometimes, that stops me from buying. Sometimes I want to try a particular ukulele enough that I tell myself that, worse case scenario, it will be like a rental fee to try that ukulele. (Though of course, I hope it works out well and there is no need for a return.) Depending on how much that "rental fee" could be, though, even that might stop me.

I appreciate Web_Parrot making us aware on the possible disagreements on what is a flaw vs. a defect, and how that might effect return policies. In my mind, there was always a much clearer line on whether the seller should accept the return at their cost, (and shouldn't have sent it out in the first place), so this is a good heads up.

Speaking as a former music shop owner (25 years), the profit margin for small shops is razor thin. The cost of paying return shipping plus wholesale net can easily render a loss when you sell a retuned instrument. A big business like Amazon has a lower wholesale cost due to high volume buying and a sweet deal with shippers, so they can squeeze out a profit despite a generous return policy. Hence, customer pays return shipping for most smaller shops.

I don't think I've ever seen a new instrument without some minor flaws, albeit we used to intercept defective ones most of the time before they went out the door.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 11-29-2019 at 09:23 AM.

I thoughtfully disagree. My intent of this post was to create an awareness. As a customer you deserve to know what the return policy is and on what it is based. I'm not trying to punish, expose, reveal, or otherwise shame the dealer/builder. It would be nonsense to waste the time of BBB or FTC (?) with such a petty claim. While I disagree with their decision to categorize my issues as flaws, it's their decision. As I've read other posts on dead/wolf notes, there are many opinions on why they occur and whether it's a normal occurrence or something that can be avoided or repaired.
    I understand your empathy for the vendor. However, legally, the onus is on them to inform their use of a different definition of "defect". Unless wolf notes and an imperfect finish were the design of that uke, it is defective. If they choose to have a different definition, then they must inform of this in their policy. According to consumer laws, it is not the responsibility of the consumer to verify what vendors would use to exclude returns, but of the vendor to clearly state them. Those laws are to protect us. Rather than considering it petty, I personally consider it my civic duty to inform when companies violate consumer laws.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    That's why I use credit cards and Paypal for purchases.
    One of my favorite features of my AMEX card is how they stand behind the consumer. Four or five times in the last 25 years I've been rooked by an online vendor and AMEX has come to the rescue.

Thumbs down

I bought a ukulele that had been made a number of years prior by a custom guitar luthier. It was a disaster when I received it... sunken soundboard, poor finish, etc. It is really easy to to a tough stance when youíre not the one that has to get your money back. I gladly paid the $50 to get it back to the seller.

For every case of sellerís fault there are just as many or more that are caused by the buyer. Iím sure sellers get stuck with a lot of instruments that a buyer wanted to send back after the buyer caused some damage. It goes both ways.

John

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful comments. I just thought to add that ... I did use PayPal and am considering using one of their benefits, "Return Shipping on Us." Under certain conditions PayPal will reimburse 'members' up to $30 of return shipping charges. As I read the "terms and conditions" this isn't a hit to the retailer/seller, but a benefit of PayPal. It says it's limited to United States customers. Those of you in other countries might inquire directly for any similar benefit.

Here's a link to the US page. Scroll down to the FAQ.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns/terms

I'm waiting for my refund to show up in my PayPal account ( I think holiday processing might have slowed the vendor's systems ! ) to start the refund process.

Again, thanks for listening :-) and sharing.
    Last edited by Web_Parrot; 12-01-2019 at 04:02 AM.
    ::: Romero Creations Replica Tenor ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: Ohana Soprano SK-75 ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C ::: Ohana SK-50G ::: Enya Nova U Concert ::: Kala KA-ABP-CTG Bari :::

I hope PayPal comes through for you.

This experience brings to mind two things that I have read on this forum:

1) Up to 20-30% of ukes as they come from the manufacturer are defective -- even expensive ukes. This $800-900 instrument is what I would call expensive. In the current era of computerized manufacturing processes, I'm amazed at that level of inconsistency.

2) "Reputable" dealers thoroughly and carefully inspect all ukes and either reject, or repair, the flawed ones. That didn't seem to happen here. And as an aside, its never been clear to me what happens to the "rejected" instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    And as an aside, its never been clear to me what happens to the "rejected" instruments.
    When we ran a music shop, what happens to rejected instruments depended on the manufacturer, wholesaler and value of the instrument. We used to sell entry level ukuleles called "Hilo" and they had about a 50% defective rate. By defective I mean unadjustable and unrepairable. KMC, the wholesaler, merely gave us a credit and suggested we run them over with a truck! No need to mail back. It was rare to have an unrepairable defect on more expensive instruments—e.g., Japan made Takamine or a Spain made Alhambra—but the few we got across 25 years of business were returned to the wholesaler. For example, a heel warp was considered an unrepairable defect but a bad pickup was simply pulled and replaced at the dealer level. KMC sold returned Takamines, Ovations and Hammers for cheap as "seconds" and dealers were allowed to sell them below MAP but were required by contract to list them as a second.

I thoughtfully disagree. My intent of this post was to create an awareness. As a customer you deserve to know what the return policy is and on what it is based. I'm not trying to punish, expose, reveal, or otherwise shame the dealer/builder. It would be nonsense to waste the time of BBB or FTC (?) with such a petty claim. While I disagree with their decision to categorize my issues as flaws, it's their decision. As I've read other posts on dead/wolf notes, there are many opinions on why they occur and whether it's a normal occurrence or something that can be avoided or repaired.
    I just want to comment and compliment you for a very open and diplomatic post and attitude. If more people took your mature and level headed approach to life the world would be a much better place. In the end itís only money and they print more of it everyday. Good things will come your way, Karma always evens things out.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information