Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is the purpose for super accurate tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    In my case, I am the weak link in the tuning process and not the tuner. I have a Snark which I've had for about 4 years and basically if my string is one or two clicks to either side of center, that's good enough for me. So a Peterson tuner would just be a lot of wasted money for me. I might still get a Peterson eventually just because this is my hobby and I want to accessorize. However it would be illogical. And I think in my heart of hearts I do believe that the whole uber-accuracy is just marketing. I consider it to be on the same level as people buying super high definition television sets that have egregiously astronomical frame rates when anything over 14 FPS is not observable by the naked eye. It is like a person's self-worth is equated to his or her television's resolution and frame rate.
    Haha, yeah I was equating it to buying a Ferrari when all you do is sit in traffic day after day. Sure, if you live next door to a racetrack, go for it!
    Glenn

Are there anyone else not clipping on? As I'm playing alone the clip is not necessary. And I prefer not to put anything "extra" on my uke. So I'm using Pocket Ukulele Tuner (pro) on my smartphone. Don't think I will need anything else, it's excellent.
    Have a good soprano

My whistling channel

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Are there anyone else not clipping on? As I'm playing alone the clip is not necessary. And I prefer not to put anything "extra" on my uke. So I'm using Pocket Ukulele Tuner (pro) on my smartphone. Don't think I will need anything else, it's excellent.
    I don't clip on.
    I check my tuning once before a gig, then - if something goes out I always know it, and do a bit of relative tuning to make it right again.
    I don't clip on for the same reason I don't use GPS for getting around in my car - I don't want to lose my innate senses by sub-contracting out to a device. If I had the tuner clipped on I'd be constantly referring to it and that would distract me.
    I am not technology averse, I just like to use devices as aids and keep my wits about me.

Mic tuners on tablets or phones can be good too. Not so good with other noise. It is just so much a guessing game.

Your uke might have some acoustic fundamental frequency, that totally blows away the string frequency for that note.

So it is a compromise and better clip on for tuning. Take it off after and then check with your smart app.

I think the tuner can help to get you in the ballpark but it still helps to use your ears to tweak if needed. I know some think it is overkill, but there are plenty of folks with great sensitivity and awareness to pitch variances. I could compare it to people with really refined palates who can taste minute differences in wine. Some may be a natural skill and a lot comes from training the ears.

There are tuners that are more accurate the the generic or Snarks. I have found that some of the Korg tuners are better than most. They have been in the tuner business for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I think the tuner can help to get you in the ballpark but it still helps to use your ears to tweak if needed. I know some think it is overkill, but there are plenty of folks with great sensitivity and awareness to pitch variances. I could compare it to people with really refined palates who can taste minute differences in wine. Some may be a natural skill and a lot comes from training the ears.

There are tuners that are more accurate the the generic or Snarks. I have found that some of the Korg tuners are better than most. They have been in the tuner business for ages.
    It does not matter much how long they have been in 'business'. Korg was my first electronic tuner. A plug to a tuner with an electric and alternative was the mic that broke down. What with the wafering needle display, but it surely was the first ones as electric tuners go. So as a history worth to mention. Darn bother with a 9 volt battery lol.

Edit:

What I learned from Korg micro six tuner was, I could learn how to compensate my guitar tuning with just a fork. Those times I was a poor young guy, found not so much cash to buy new battery. Strings too were costly for me. Just I don't recommend anyone these days to avoid electronic tuners. They are cheap these days.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 11-30-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Tuners are ok to get you in the ball park. I always tune a uke to itself as ofttimes, although individual strings may ring true, when fingering chords, it can sound off.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrytone View Post
    Tuners are ok to get you in the ball park. I always tune a uke to itself as ofttimes, although individual strings may ring true, when fingering chords, it can sound off.
    What do you mean tune a uke to itself? Like tune one string and then use it as reference to tune the others?

Quote Originally Posted by YUNI View Post
    What do you mean tune a uke to itself? Like tune one string and then use it as reference to tune the others?
    That's exactly right, Yuni!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrytone View Post
    Great point, Barry. I play mostly solo outings. So as long as I know that my "general range" is pretty close to the "A=440" mark, all I really care about at that point is making sure the uke is "in tune with itself". (Obviously, we don't want to unintentionally go out there with the uke tuned way, way low or way, way high.) And like you, I frequently "tweak as needed" during an outing; I may have a couple of "pet chords" that I'll strum as a "spot check", knowing from past experience that if those two chords sound right (precise) to my ear, then I'm going to be good "over-all". I still think of tuning as a little song entitled "My Dog Has Fleas" (from 1st string to 4th string). I have come to realize over the years that we all have different "gifts" when it comes to music. Personally, my "chops" are just kinda "decent", but nothing that'll be specifically mentioned in my obituary. On the other hand, I was blessed with a pretty good ear (literally, as I'm deaf on my left side, but "righty" is really good!). I sometimes take for granted my ability to grab a guitar or a uke and have it cranked into tune (with itself) within maybe 15 seconds without the aid of a tuning device. On the other hand, I recall once when a rural gentleman was telling me that he had an acoustic guitar and was learning how to play, and he said, "Yeah, I take it to a guy in town every week and have him tune it for me." It was then that I realized, we're all different, we're all strong on some things, weaker on others, and we don't cut each other up-- we just try to help each other out. That's one of the things I love about this Forum!

Thread Information