Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High D on baritone?

PhD has high d baritone strings (as well as low G ones).

I have a Pono spruce top baritone tuned in regular low D (I don't have a problem with it sounding somewhat like a small guitar...the kind with four strings), and a Pono mahogany baritone tuned in high d. They sound quite different, due to both the spruce/acacia vs. mahogany and the different strings (as the spruce has wound strings for the D and G, and the mahogany has no wound strings).

I found this video https://youtu.be/bRhz0QJu2xk helpful, although again the wood (spruce/rosewood) is a factor.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke Pono spruce/acacia Baritone AB-SP Pono mahogany baritone w/Pono PU Islander solid mahogany concert FOR SALE Kala spruce top "travel" baritone Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Ohana laminate tenor Islander laminate maple concert Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano my daughter's abandoned Flea

It is my understanding that Lyle Ritz used a high D tuning but on a tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Uke Republic carries a Living Water "Baritone High D" set! I have used them, and was very satisfied; if I recall correctly, they were all unwound and thus felt very consistent. Benny Chong plays this way. Check it out...

https://youtu.be/e6y0mNVR03A
    I love Benny! Naively, I want to string my baritone like his now, as if that would make me 1% the player he is!
    (I do like nylon on baritones though so I might give it a go)
    Glenn

Glenn, you definitely struck a chord with me! After watching that very video (Benny) a couple of years ago, I went out and got myself a very inexpensive baritone uke, and strung it with a High D all-plain set. It was a lot of fun to play it in that re-entrant mode, but after a couple of weeks I realized that the soprano was calling out to me again, so I made disposition of the baritone; there's something about the soprano that just pulls me in! And I'm sure there's something about all of the other sizes that pulls other folks in. It's all good, as they say!

I've only played one soprano, my son's SpongeBob uke, and tho it has a good sound my fingers are quite cramped. D and E are really a struggle on it. I'm not sure if all sops are like that...
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Thread Information