Back on ukulele after a slight gap...

Paul.Hurst

Reaction score
Hi all.
Had a soprano about 40 years ago, stopped to concentrate on playing melodeon and concertina for barn dances and a dance group (Seven Champions Molly Dancers).
Am now semi-retired and we are switching to playing local pubs and for charity events.
Bought a Kala resonator, now learning some different songs and tunes. Loving the change of venues and material.

Welcome to the UU Forum, Paul. Glad you are enjoying your revived relationship with the ukulele!

Jan D.

Welcome Steve. I understand the draw of other instruments, in fact, the concertina has interested me for quite a while. But I stuck with strings and mainly play mandolin. My ukes are staying put though cuz I still love to break them out now and then. Enjoy the forum!

Thanks!
Concertinas can get complicated, as there are English, Anglo and multiple Duet fingering systems available. Good ones can be very expensive though, and as they rely heavily on the quality of the steel reeds and mechanical components the cheap ones can be a waste of time, and the mid-range ones frustrating. Sadly, it seems to be much harder now to pick up the quality ones from ads or auctions. UAS is a less ruinous affliction than CAS. Still, no tuning, or strings to buy...

Cheers
Paul

Welcome Paul, you fit right in here.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Welcome aboard matey! Greetings from a hundred miles north...

Welcome Paul, you fit right in here.

Many thanks, Michael.

I see that you are involved in getting ukuleles into hospitals.

I'm a volunteer Humanist pastoral carer in our local hospital's chaplaincy department and have recently been bringing our band in to play in the wards, and round the buildings. One reason for taking up the ukulele again is that it will probably be far more suitable than my regular 'dance instruments - quieter, very happy and upbeat and great to accompany the songs that go down well with the patients suffering from dementia. Perhaps I'll have a chat with the children's ward staff as well...

Welcome to the forum- so cool to hear of you coming back to the uke after such a long gap!
-Lou

I'm a volunteer Humanist pastoral carer in our local hospital's chaplaincy department and have recently been bringing our band in to play in the wards, and round the buildings. ...

Welcome to UU.

My wife is also a uke playing chaplain. How many can there be?

Welcome to UU.

My wife is also a uke playing chaplain. How many can there be?

Hi Doug - thanks for the welcome, please say 'Hi' to your wife.

I'm helping a nurse on the dementia ward to play whistle, and working on our lead chaplain to dig out his, but no other strings yet - apart from the rest of our band

.WhatsApp Image 2019-09-27 at 12.48.52 PM.jpg

Many thanks, Michael. I see that you are involved in getting ukuleles into hospitals. I'm a volunteer Humanist pastoral carer in our local hospital's chaplaincy department and have recently been bringing our band in to play in the wards, and round the buildings. One reason for taking up the ukulele again is that it will probably be far more suitable than my regular 'dance instruments - quieter, very happy and upbeat and great to accompany the songs that go down well with the patients suffering from dementia. Perhaps I'll have a chat with the children's ward staff as well...
If that children's ward has a music therapy program in place, it can become part of The Ukulele Kids Club and receive ukuleles for the kids. Six of us just did a session at UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital (our hospital of choice), which we do every 6 weeks or so. Gave away 4 more ukes, we're up to about 150 so far via our group's ongoing donations. It's a very gratifying experience.

If that children's ward has a music therapy program in place, it can become part of The Ukulele Kids Club and receive ukuleles for the kids. Six of us just did a session at UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital (our hospital of choice), which we do every 6 weeks or so. Gave away 4 more ukes, we're up to about 150 so far via our group's ongoing donations. It's a very gratifying experience.

Thanks for the idea, Michael. Just checked the UK page - UPDATE: Until further notice we are not currently accepting any new hospitals to the club until we have cleared the existing waiting list.

I'll have a word with the various members of staff involved, if they are keen, I'll see if I can blag any spare instruments from the local ukulele bands...

Top Bottom