Season 407 ... You need hands

Welcome back Max. I hope we see more of you.

Berni, I hope the muse strikes and the progress becomes easier.

Quite a shock to come back and learn of the passing of our friend Randy. After reading through Rex's thread and looking back at some of Randy's contributions that I enjoyed the most the first couple of lines from the 2nd verse of this Jeff Tweedy song got stuck in my head, and I just couldn't exercise them. Here's "Bombs Above", the opener from last years record, "Warm". "Hands" shows up in the 3rd verse.

Thanks for hosting Val. And thanks to all of you for blazing your own trails of songs.

BUENGIORNO! (Actually, what am I talking about ... I don't speak Italian; but the French are still on strike!) Thanks so much to Del, Lynda and Andy, who contributed "overnight" ... the Playlist is up to date. A visit to A&E this morning with husband, who has damaged his shoulder. Life here is nothing but excitement ... defective heating, defective plumbing, and now, defective husbands! Please keep posting as I shall need something to listen to while we wait in Casualty.

Last edited:
Another one written by George Michael - this time during his Wham! days. Hope you’ll forgive me for slowing it down a bit - and no keyboard additions here, just me and the uke.

“You take my hand and tell me I’m a fool to give you all that I do...”

An original. I seem to be channeling Marty Robbins lately. Having problems with audio glitches on my computer. I was taking a short cut through a part of town where I don't usually go because I've never been assigned anything there, and saw a building called "Carmelita's" that I assume was a bar. One wall was covered with a mural--a not uncommon sight in San Antonio--and part of the mural was a Mexican woman dancing with castanets. Bam, a song.

I was alone and a-traveling down
'Cross the wide Rio Grande
I let my horse wander and soon found myself
On the Mexican sands
From a little cantina I heard mariachi
Float through the air
I bought a cervesa and saw Carmelita
A rose in her hair

Carmelita
Midnight eyes, flashing smile, and a Mexican band
Carmelita
Oh she whirled and she danced, castanets in her hands

Her glittering eyes were as dark as the sky
Of a hot desert night
She floated about on the hard wooden floor
Like a feather alight
She nodded and smiled and the rose in her hair
It fell into my hand
Then I fell in love oh but I was a gringo
Alone in this land

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was the old cantinero
He said, "You're not safe here, amigo, and I think you should go"

Carmelita
Do you ever remember me, so long ago?
Carmelita
Oh I've never gone back but I still have your rose
Carmelita
Are you still dancing down by the wide Rio Grande?
Carmelita
How she whirled and she danced, castanets in her hands

Last edited:
A bit late to the party here as it's been a hectic week, but I wanted to get at least one song done for your season Val. Thanks for hosting, and I hope you are well!

GUTEN MORGEN from deepest France, where I have just updated the Playlist. Very many thanks to Joko, Alan, John, Kev, Lynda and Brian, who came in "overnight". Please keep the songs coming ... it's the weekend and you have lots of time!

A (sort of) a joke, to give you inspiration ...

employees-must-wash-hands.jpg

Last edited:
Ahoy
Here is a 'hand' song. Tom Lehrer's I Hold Your Hand in Mine (folk edition)

I think Ryan performed a song by Powderfinger ... but no one's done Powderfinger, until now!

Top Bottom