Season 407 ... You need hands

And "good morning" from a grey France, where the job of the day is to find out why our pellet stove has just stopped working. A big "thank you" to the overnight contributors ... Antipodeans and snow-shovellers alike. The Playlist is up-to-date ... please keep the songs coming; all hands to the pump!

A little tale of infidelity from the pen of Elvis Costello

A WeeOriginal

He’s got the big corporations in his hands
Got lawyers working on tax evasion in his hands
And you don’t figure in any of his plans
He’s got the whole world in his hands.

He’s got the guns and the tanks in his hands
He’s got the police and the banks in his hands
And we’ve only got ourselves to thank
For putting the whole world in his hands

He’s got the bombs and the planes in his hands
He’s got the medicine for pain in his hands
He never looses he always a gains
All the money of the world is in his hands.

Last edited:
And thank you to today's contributors ... please keep them coming! The Playlist will be up-to-date very shortly.

QUESTION: What do you do when, in addition to having a non-functioning pellet stove, you suddenly notice that there is water dripping through the bathroom ceiling? Well, of course, you retire from public life to make a ridiculous recording of what was already quite a ridiculous song. (P.S. I DID call the plumber.)

Inspired by a Hans Christian Anderson story.With funny voice

This is an old classic country song by Bill Anderson, and was also covered by Eddy Arnold, Roy Clark, and probably about a dozen others. I know the Roy Clark version best, it was on the radio a lot when I was a kid.

"i'll be your mirror" by the velvet underground

("please put down your hands, 'cause I see you", and "let me be your eyes, a hand to your darkness so you won't be afraid")

And "Good Morning" from deepest France, where it is ... dark! Big thanks to Stanley, Alan and Lynda for their contributions, which came in "overnight". The Playlist is up to date ... more songs, please!

Jim wrote a fantastic song this week and it expressed pretty much how I felt/feel...
I almost gave up on covering it as i didn't think I was doing it justice but I persevered and have something I'm OK with. I hope Jim feels the same way. There was his usual real fine uke work which I didn't attempt.
A song by uke4ia.
I can't recall your last name Jim but I think it starts with P. Would like to acknowledge you properly on YouTube.

Jim wrote a fantastic song this week and it expressed pretty much how I felt/feel...
I almost gave up on covering it as i didn't think I was doing it justice but I persevered and have something I'm OK with. I hope Jim feels the same way. There was his usual real fine uke work which I didn't attempt.
A song by uke4ia.
I can't recall your last name Jim but I think it starts with P. Would like to acknowledge you properly on YouTube.

Thanks a lot, Brian. I'm honored. My last name's Persky.

I try to make my original songs musically different from one another. On this one, I did it by messing with the rhythm of the first line in the verse. The singing starts on the upbeat, so I have to mentally shout "One!" to myself, then come in singing. I'm using a low G string. What sounds like a couple of different chords at the start is just me hitting A (2nd fret) and then C (5th fret) notes on the G string while I keep playing a G chord. This is what I was playing:

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
G
I’ve always been someone who
G/A         G/C            G           Am
Misses everybody when they go on their way
          G                      D9 (2203)
Some move on, others are called away
              Bbmaj7  F
In ways unforeseen, unplanned
             Bb              C
I keep their memory close at hand

There was a time when 
Just ‘bout everybody lived their life in one place
Went their whole life seeing the same face
Now I know people in different lands
I may never get to shake their hands
            G              Am
But they’re still close at hand

I try to understand, I 
Know that everybody has their own hills to climb
They’ve got their tasks and I’ve got mine
And if responsibilities should pull me away
Know there’s part of me that always stays
Stays somewhere close at hand
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Some danes might consider it sacrilege to play this song on ukulele, but I couldn't help myself!

This song by danish band Sort Sol is very popular here, usually played on guitar - on some recordings with a mandolin in the background.
But I tried to adapt it for ukulele.

In before Mads!

Bill Withers is one of my all-time favorite artists.

This one smacked me in the face and kicked my derriere. In other words it was dead obvious for me as one of my fave songs from the past....Mr Clapton's version from "Time Pieces" LP. Simple as a knife and fork.

"Good morning" from deepest France, where it is - again - dark! (I'm not sure what time it actually gets light here at the moment.) Many thanks to Joko, CeeJay and Lynda, who kept the ball rolling "overnight". Please keep the songs coming in ... remember, there is no limit! Here is an awful "hand joke" ...

31ez9jmGXUL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(I think I have come to the conclusion that puns about peas are vastly superior.)

Ooh, and I have just found a supply of jokes about hands ... all exceedingly corny or downright rude. However, herewith....

I say, I say, I say ... why did they make the hand on the statue 11 inches long?

Well, if they'd made it 12 inches, it would have been a foot.

(This is a pre-metric joke.) Anyone want to join in???

Top Bottom