Kai kti-700 tenor - review

bazmaz

Reaction score
Wow, if I needed another concert uke, I'd grab one of these, and put a pickup in it. How can you go wrong?

It comes in a concert version Nickie!

Just wondering. Could the Kai 700 tenor, quite possibly be the best tenor ukulele out there for under $225.00? This beautiful ukulele is on my wish list, and I mean ocd. Gotta rebuild my war chest after buying a Lava. No re-do, I’m guessing.

I'd say it's 'right up there' yep. Remarkable for the money.

Barry, from your review, it’s very obvious that you were smitten by the 700. You don’t get that way over to many in it’s price range.

Rob, at SU, and I have been texting back and forth. He also loves this uke. In around 30-45 days his order should arrive. I’m on his list to contact immediately. Shipping to the USA has to be considered, but I believe it to be worth the expense. Actually, it’s not all that bad.

Good choice - this one genuinely took me by surprise. Some people still think that my reviews are pre-meditated. They are not - When the UK distributor got in touch to suggest sending me one of these I agreed (I always do) - but to be honest was thinking 'this will be generic'. I love it when something arrives that totally changes my perceptions.

That's a fault of mine of course, not the brands... But I think we are all guilty of it one way or another. Though I DO think it makes me more nervous of reviews and that has to be a good thing to be cautious?

Enjoy the uke!

Barry, I see no reason for you to change your ways in any way. Yeah, of course we can all do better, and I can bet for sure you are unfairly judge mental of yourself. You are human in every way. There are many many ukulele musicians who very much appreciate your efforts.
Thank you kindly.

@bazmaz -- In your review you said, "...those wanting a darker, or woodier sounding instrument might look elsewhere."

I am one who loves darker, woodier sounding tenors -- the darker & woodier, the better. Please PLEASE recommend some.

@bazmaz -- In your review you said, "...those wanting a darker, or woodier sounding instrument might look elsewhere."

I am one who loves darker, woodier sounding tenors -- the darker & woodier, the better. Please PLEASE recommend some.

All I can suggest is keeping away from spruce, and cedar.. Look for all mahogany or walnut topped ukuleles. Saying that, my Kanile'a Koa tenor is really warm and woody sounding.

All I can suggest is keeping away from spruce, and cedar.. Look for all mahogany or walnut topped ukuleles. Saying that, my Kanile'a Koa tenor is really warm and woody sounding.

Good-oh. On behalf of your comment, I now have an all-solid-hog Ohana pineapple tenor on its way from AlohaCityUkes. Thanks to the nth for your prompt answer AND for all your excellent reviews!!!

P.S. Since the new pineapple is a tenor, & I name all my ukes, I have decided to name it Placido (after Placido Domingo).

Last edited:
Barry, what about “solid acacia?” Warm, like walnut and Mahogany?

Acacia (much like Hawaiian Koa) I always find has a mix of all things. Very rich tone - highs AND lows.

Barry, when you received your Kai KTI tenor to review, did it require a setup, or just fine out of the box?

2nd question: Is Thomann over in the UK considered a big box store, like Amazon Sweetwater or Musician’s Friend, over here?

Thomann’s offer their Kai’s at a much lower price, than SU and others, but a set up is around $55 and delays shipping a few days.

So you can see why I am asking the first question.

Thank you
Terry

It was fine - however.... over here the KTI distibutor is a company called 'Stones Music'. He is renowned for setting up his instruments even before they are delivered to the stores. Add to which this came on loan from a store here called World of Ukes, who ALSO check setup carefully... as such, it was going to be highly unlikely this wouldn't arrive perfect on that front...

Can't speak for Thomann, but I DO consider them a big box shipper - what arrives from them will not have been opened since it arrived from the factory.

Top Bottom