The advantage of baritone ukulele

LarryS

Reaction score
So I was reading a blues turnaround TAB from a guitar mag and I could not fret the B7 chord cleanly, my pinkie kept buzzing because its soft and the strings on my guitar feel like cheese wires.
So I tried the same on my baritone uke, nailed it!

The thing is I could use the same chord shapes on my concert ukes. I'd be playing different chords but the sound would be similar.

+1. If you're a guitar player, baritone uke is a natural.

So I was reading a blues turnaround TAB from a guitar mag and I could not fret the B7 chord cleanly, my pinkie kept buzzing because its soft and the strings on my guitar feel like cheese wires.

The thing is I could use the same chord shapes on my concert ukes. I'd be playing different chords but the sound would be similar.

Or you could re-string your guitar with nylon strings ;)

Or you could re-string your guitar with nylon strings ;)

What brand and gauge of strings are you using on your guitar? Could always change to a extra light set if steel. Your comment on a cheese cutter reminded me of the early '60's where we used Black Diamond strings on a cheap badlt setup guitar; were called cheese cutters.

With worsening arthritis I went to nylon string guitar but my fretting (left) hand is still bad, needs a rest. Out came the baritone uke setup nice and low and strung up with D'addario ej34 folk nylon guitar strings (ball end). The bridge is pretty chewed up for the d string on this old Lindell baritone uke my wife had (probably from the 60's or 70's). I use the four highest strings... And I'm fretting with the right hand (just learning). Not too difficult, coming along fine for some old folk and tin pan alley songs. I've got three weeks to get in gear until I start back up at the nursing homes in January.

Last edited:
What brand and gauge of strings are you using on your guitar? Could always change to a extra light set if steel. Your comment on a cheese cutter reminded me of the early '60's where we used Black Diamond strings on a cheap badlt setup guitar; were called cheese cutters.

I got lights on it. But a dreadnought has a long scale so the strings have a higher tension. And because I don't play often my fingers don't get calluses.

Top Bottom