Ukulele Hats

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Do any of you have any ukulele hats - hats you wear when playing your uke? I noticed that some people usually wore a hat, so I've been accumulating some.

I have a couple of fedoras, top hat, pork pie, small yellow straw fedora, and my grandfather's 100-year old derby. Maybe I can get them all together for a family portrait.

Yeah, I bought a couple......eventually.......didn't improve my playing...... but hats can hide your face...... ;)

Some of the Seasonistas wear them too, don't really know why, because they normally record indoors, so nothing to do with the weather. :D

Last edited:
No specific ukulele hats (well, perhaps the embroidered velvet fez I was given which doesn't get a lot of wear otherwise), but one of my berets is comfortable when strumming.

Been wearing antlers for the holiday programs, but if we play outside I wear a ball cap my sister brought me from Hawaii.

I have some hats I wear when I am playing at nursing homes. I like to keep switching them as it gives the audience something else to focus on and anticipate. I put on my Boat Hat when I am playing Tin Pan Alley Music, My Cowboy Hat when I am playing Western Music etc.. Also have a Fedora, ball cap, train conductor hat which I get to use at various times in the performance. This time of year I can now add my Santa Hat..

Not “ukulele hats”, but I’ve always been a hat man - even when I was a kid. I was in the USAF for 21 years, and, of course, I wore them with my uniforms. I’ve worn all kinds, but now, to be in fashion, I mostly wear ball caps. If I’m outside, I’ve got a cap or a visor on.

I’d like to wear a Homburg or a Derby, but I guess that’d be a little much. My Rancher gets enough looks at the mall. :eek:ld:

I have some hats I wear when I am playing at nursing homes. I like to keep switching them as it gives the audience something else to focus on and anticipate. I put on my Boat Hat when I am playing Tin Pan Alley Music, My Cowboy Hat when I am playing Western Music etc.. Also have a Fedora, ball cap, train conductor hat which I get to use at various times in the performance. This time of year I can now add my Santa Hat..

So you switch hats for different songs? Good idea.

Last edited:
I usually wear a hat when I'm playing. In The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band, we all wear hats. I have accumulated quite a collection of hats over the years and now receive hats from friends who think I'd look good in them.
Jim &LG1.jpg A tweed cap I bought in the seventies.
jimheadshot2.jpg A boater that I bought in St. John's Newfoundland.
jimuke.jpg A porkpie gift from my son.
Hatgatsby e.jpg A bowler that I got at an antique shop.

My newest hat is the one in the thumbnail. My friend Arnie phoned me last summer and asked if I'd like to meet him for breakfast. After we finished eating, he said, "Come on out to the truck. I have a gift for you."
What a nice guy.

Attachments

• Top hat from Arnie.jpg
    Top hat from Arnie.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I think I play better if I'm wearing a silly hat. More daring or confident or something. I guess my embarrassment at standing out is refocused to the hat instead of the playing.

I think I play better if I'm wearing a silly hat. More daring or confident or something. I guess my embarrassment at standing out is refocused to the hat instead of the playing.

I agree, Z !! I remember back in the mid-eighties, my brothers and I had a band and we played at a Christmas party; we all dressed up like elves, and it was one of the best performances of our sixteen-year run !!

I agree, Z !! I remember back in the mid-eighties, my brothers and I had a band and we played at a Christmas party; we all dressed up like elves, and it was one of the best performances of our sixteen-year run !!

I actually think there's science behind it. It seems like I read a psychology article about it. And elf hats all around confirm it. I'd like to have seen that!

I’ve got hats, but nothing ukulele specific. I was wearing hats before got a uke, and most of ‘em predate my ukes. Way too many ball caps (there is such a thing as HAS....) a summer trilby (Panama), a winter trilby (wool felt), a travel hat (Tilly hemp), a toque for when it gets really cold. If I’m outside I’ve got a hat on.

Plus a fluorescent yellow please-see-me bicycle helmet. Oh, there’s also bike light acquisition syndrome, but that’s a wholly different topics.

I’ve got hats, but nothing ukulele specific. I was wearing hats before got a uke, and most of ‘em predate my ukes. Way too many ball caps (there is such a thing as HAS....) a summer trilby (Panama), a winter trilby (wool felt), a travel hat (Tilly hemp), a toque for when it gets really cold. If I’m outside I’ve got a hat on.

Plus a fluorescent yellow please-see-me bicycle helmet. Oh, there’s also bike light acquisition syndrome, but that’s a wholly different topics.

Hey Arcy, I see you're from Redmond, WA, but are still familiar with the word "toque". I have many American friends who seem to call their toques "watch caps" or "stocking caps" or even "knit caps", but it's really nice to see an American who knows the correct name for these hats.

Someone on a tin whistle forum said to wear a wide-brimmed hat if you want to hear your own playing in a crowded session. It works! Kind of like wearing your own private satellite dish. Which would be quite a fashion statement in itself.

Hadn't much used a hat since getting one in VENICE a few years ago (we don't count the obvious winter cap :)). And then, now, I found the Seasonistas. And guess what? Wearing a hat makes you look like a maker. Was a bit impressed myself. Must put it on again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom