Ukulele Hats

To Americans, toques are the white mushroom-like hats that chefs wear. To us, calling a watch cap a toque would be one toque over the line. ;)

One toque over the line, sweet jesus. :p

A hat and sunglasses transform me into a performer. Edit: I can't seem to get the photo rotated

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The "Trilby" is the classic Ukulele players' hat, like what Jake or Aldrine wears. I have a nice straw Trilby made by Ben Sherman, with a wooden Ukulele pin on the band. Can't say that it helps my playing, but I do feel that it looks good on me. It mostly hangs around on something in my music room, just adding to the decor.

Hey Arcy, I see you're from Redmond, WA, but are still familiar with the word "toque". I have many American friends who seem to call their toques "watch caps" or "stocking caps" or even "knit caps", but it's really nice to see an American who knows the correct name for these hats.

Some of us watched the McKenzie Brothers on SCTV, eh?

Take off.

Some of us watched the McKenzie Brothers on SCTV, eh?

Take off.
My niece texted me last year asking what a "took" (sic) was. I had no idea what she was talking about (a type of foolish hobbit?) until she used it in context: "5 goooooooolden tooks" (sic)

The "Trilby" is the classic Ukulele players' hat, like what Jake or Aldrine wears. I have a nice straw Trilby made by Ben Sherman, with a wooden Ukulele pin on the band. Can't say that it helps my playing, but I do feel that it looks good on me. It mostly hangs around on something in my music room, just adding to the decor.

I guess I ordered a trilby from Amazon by mistake. I remember looking at it and reading the reviews, but they weren't great. It's arriving today, so I'll see how it looks.

I have a Triby I bought to wear in the winter (Ha!), but I don’t like it. It makes me look like a little ol’ man. True, I am one, but I certainly don’t wanna look like it.

At least it fits well. It would probably look good on me, strumming a few tunes, if I was forty years younger —ahhh, well. . . :eek:ld:

I had never heard the word "Trilby" before this post. I always called these pork pie hats. Hey Down Up Dick, I look like an ol' man with my pork pie (trilby), but no more than without it.

Lester Young was famous for his pork pie hats. Here are his instructions for making one.

lester - pork pie.jpg

Last edited:
Like these hats, proudly worn by some of my classroom ukuleles????

IMG_4272.jpg

Top Bottom