Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Hats

i've always wore hats of some sort but I have to say that between the old skinhead/two tone style, where people wore pork pie hats and of course the uke, I now class the pork pie hat as my favourite hat love em
    SOPRANO Kala Solid Mahogany SMHS, KoAloha Pikkake,

CONCERT Kala Flamed Maple FMC, Honu Solid Hawaiian Mango,

TENOR Kala Jazz Top, Mainland Red Cedar, Pete Howlett Cherry Marmite, Mahon Custom Cedar Top Solid Wood Electro Acoustic

BARITONE Lani LB-55CEQ Solid Spruce Top

Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/#!/richard.gent2

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    Hey Arcy, I see you're from Redmond, WA, but are still familiar with the word "toque". I have many American friends who seem to call their toques "watch caps" or "stocking caps" or even "knit caps", but it's really nice to see an American who knows the correct name for these hats.
    I came by it honestly. I'm originally from Calgary

You do look good in them Jim.

I don't particularly like wearing hats. I used to wear a Stetson when taking photos in inclement weather. Great for keeping the water out of your face and off the camera. And from going down your collar.

In the summer, if I know I'm going to be outside for more than an hour I have a packable wide brim canvas/mesh hat.

But I don't have a uke hat per se.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 12-02-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Yup. I have lots of hats. Mostly wide-brimmed when I'm out doors (I've had 2nd degree sunburn on my head and neck twice, so ALWAYS have a hat now), but various straw hats, berets, a coachman style (Short top hat) that is evocative of Steampunk, and my John Hartford Tribute Bowler (aka, tall derby). That's the one on my business card.

I don't wear a ball cap; I want the back of my neck and my ears covered, and most of the ball caps that have been given to me push down on my glasses.

Someone took this shot of me at the local Farmer's Market a couple of years ago, with the bowler...

Kurt_uke_12-19.jpg
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I've been wearing fedoras and panama hats and others for decades, not fan of baseball style hats......indoors I do not wear a hat while playing ukulele......outdoors I will if the conditions warrant it....

Butch bike.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    Yup. I have lots of hats. Mostly wide-brimmed when I'm out doors (I've had 2nd degree sunburn on my head and neck twice, so ALWAYS have a hat now), but various straw hats, berets, a coachman style (Short top hat) that is evocative of Steampunk, and my John Hartford Tribute Bowler (aka, tall derby). That's the one on my business card.

I don't wear a ball cap; I want the back of my neck and my ears covered, and most of the ball caps that have been given to me push down on my glasses.

Someone took this shot of me at the local Farmer's Market a couple of years ago, with the bowler...

Kurt_uke_12-19.jpg
    I like that one Ksiegel. It looks good on you.

I read that John Hartford got the idea for his stage outfit after seeing Butch Cassidy (Paul Newman) in his bicycle scene.
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 12-03-2019 at 04:22 AM.

I like the wide brimmed visors that are open at the top so you can still do a high ponytail

Also I am from Canada too but I feel like I’ve never heard anyone use the term toque haha, just beanies

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post

Kurt_uke_12-19.jpg
    Always thought you'd styled yourself after Acker Bilk....

Acker_Bilk.jpg.gallery.jpg
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    I usually wear a hat when I'm playing. In The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band, we all wear hats. I have accumulated quite a collection of hats over the years and now receive hats from friends who think I'd look good in them.
    Attachment 123297 A tweed cap I bought in the seventies.
    Attachment 123298 A boater that I bought in St. John's Newfoundland.
    Attachment 123299 A porkpie gift from my son.
    Attachment 123301 A bowler that I got at an antique shop.

My newest hat is the one in the thumbnail. My friend Arnie phoned me last summer and asked if I'd like to meet him for breakfast. After we finished eating, he said, "Come on out to the truck. I have a gift for you."
    What a nice guy.
    Nice! Except for the boater - skimmer - I have the same hats. I'll have to get one of those straw boaters. I got a top hat liker yours for my son. I liked it so much that I got one for myself.

I see you're in Canada. The bowler is called a derby in the USA, but in England it's a bowler. Maybe "bowler" is more common in Canada. The boater was popular because men wore hats virtually any time they went outside. The straw hat was cooler, so it was better for summer temperatures. "Straw Hat Day" was when men switched to the straw hat for a few months.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

As I said before, I’ve always been a hat man, but, unfortunately, I have a large head. I usta carry watermelons home from the store in my hats.

Anyway, I really do like to wear ‘em, but it’s difficult to find one that’s large enough for me. Yet, every once in a while, I find one that’s too BIG for me, and I’m always amazed. Whoever buys that hat must have a head like a basketball!

Being me though, if I had a “regular” sized head, I’d hate wearing a hat. I like my Stetson “Rancher” the best, and straw, “brimmed” hats in the summer. Everyone looks at me questioningly though when I’m wearing a hat — envious?

Snap brim caps are good in the winter, but one looks like a roaring twenties gangster.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Thread Information