Ukulele Hats

i've always wore hats of some sort but I have to say that between the old skinhead/two tone style, where people wore pork pie hats and of course the uke, I now class the pork pie hat as my favourite hat love em

Hey Arcy, I see you're from Redmond, WA, but are still familiar with the word "toque". I have many American friends who seem to call their toques "watch caps" or "stocking caps" or even "knit caps", but it's really nice to see an American who knows the correct name for these hats.
I came by it honestly. I'm originally from Calgary ;)

You do look good in them Jim.

I don't particularly like wearing hats. I used to wear a Stetson when taking photos in inclement weather. Great for keeping the water out of your face and off the camera. And from going down your collar.

In the summer, if I know I'm going to be outside for more than an hour I have a packable wide brim canvas/mesh hat.

But I don't have a uke hat per se.

Last edited:
Yup. I have lots of hats. Mostly wide-brimmed when I'm out doors (I've had 2nd degree sunburn on my head and neck twice, so ALWAYS have a hat now), but various straw hats, berets, a coachman style (Short top hat) that is evocative of Steampunk, and my John Hartford Tribute Bowler (aka, tall derby). That's the one on my business card.

I don't wear a ball cap; I want the back of my neck and my ears covered, and most of the ball caps that have been given to me push down on my glasses.

Someone took this shot of me at the local Farmer's Market a couple of years ago, with the bowler...

Kurt_uke_12-19.jpg

I've been wearing fedoras and panama hats and others for decades, not fan of baseball style hats......indoors I do not wear a hat while playing ukulele......outdoors I will if the conditions warrant it....

Butch bike.jpg
Yup. I have lots of hats. Mostly wide-brimmed when I'm out doors (I've had 2nd degree sunburn on my head and neck twice, so ALWAYS have a hat now), but various straw hats, berets, a coachman style (Short top hat) that is evocative of Steampunk, and my John Hartford Tribute Bowler (aka, tall derby). That's the one on my business card.

I don't wear a ball cap; I want the back of my neck and my ears covered, and most of the ball caps that have been given to me push down on my glasses.

Someone took this shot of me at the local Farmer's Market a couple of years ago, with the bowler...

View attachment 123320

I like that one Ksiegel. It looks good on you.

I read that John Hartford got the idea for his stage outfit after seeing Butch Cassidy (Paul Newman) in his bicycle scene.

Last edited:
I like the wide brimmed visors that are open at the top so you can still do a high ponytail:eek:

Also I am from Canada too but I feel like I’ve never heard anyone use the term toque haha, just beanies

View attachment 123320

Always thought you'd styled yourself after Acker Bilk....

Acker_Bilk.jpg.gallery.jpg

I usually wear a hat when I'm playing. In The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band, we all wear hats. I have accumulated quite a collection of hats over the years and now receive hats from friends who think I'd look good in them.
View attachment 123297 A tweed cap I bought in the seventies.
View attachment 123298 A boater that I bought in St. John's Newfoundland.
View attachment 123299 A porkpie gift from my son.
View attachment 123301 A bowler that I got at an antique shop.

My newest hat is the one in the thumbnail. My friend Arnie phoned me last summer and asked if I'd like to meet him for breakfast. After we finished eating, he said, "Come on out to the truck. I have a gift for you."
What a nice guy.

Nice! Except for the boater - skimmer - I have the same hats. I'll have to get one of those straw boaters. I got a top hat liker yours for my son. I liked it so much that I got one for myself.

I see you're in Canada. The bowler is called a derby in the USA, but in England it's a bowler. Maybe "bowler" is more common in Canada. The boater was popular because men wore hats virtually any time they went outside. The straw hat was cooler, so it was better for summer temperatures. "Straw Hat Day" was when men switched to the straw hat for a few months.

As I said before, I’ve always been a hat man, but, unfortunately, I have a large head. I usta carry watermelons home from the store in my hats.

Anyway, I really do like to wear ‘em, but it’s difficult to find one that’s large enough for me. Yet, every once in a while, I find one that’s too BIG for me, and I’m always amazed. Whoever buys that hat must have a head like a basketball!

Being me though, if I had a “regular” sized head, I’d hate wearing a hat. I like my Stetson “Rancher” the best, and straw, “brimmed” hats in the summer. Everyone looks at me questioningly though when I’m wearing a hat — envious?

Snap brim caps are good in the winter, but one looks like a roaring twenties gangster. :eek:ld:

I tend to just wear a baseball cap because it keeps the sun out of my eyes. I toyed with the idea of wearing one when I play but it just feels silly. I'm too practical.

I tend to just wear a baseball cap because it keeps the sun out of my eyes. I toyed with the idea of wearing one when I play but it just feels silly. I'm too practical.

Well, Larry, maybe you could consider just keeping a hat mounted on your headstock, just in case. Oh... wait...

… it’s difficult to find one that’s large enough for me.

Exactly my own experience. When I first found Tilley Hats in 1993, back when they swore that as a matter of principle there was nobody with a head too big or small for them to provide a hat, it was a revelation. Since then I've worn (and worn out) quite a number of theirs, but these days I favour the Basque beret: no headband inside, so they can be gently stretched to fit even me :D

Yeah, it’s tough finding hats that fit when you’ve got a big head. Not only FIT, but also look right. The baseball style hats that are one-size-fits-all might fit with the band extended to its last hole, but it will likely look like a yarmulke with a brim on my big old head. They’re just too small. And since they ride so high on my head, it’s tough to keep them on in a wind.
Luckily, I mostly wear hats only when I’m out on the water fishing, sailing, or rowing/paddling, and for that I have a nice, light weight baseball cap from North Face that fits me well.
When it’s cold and I’m outside working, I wear a knit “Radar” hat. But even those look small on my head :/
Other than that, no hats for me TYVM

Last edited:
Exactly my own experience. When I first found Tilley Hats in 1993, back when they swore that as a matter of principle there was nobody with a head too big or small for them to provide a hat, it was a revelation. :D

My Tilley is flecked with mildew stains from getting stuffed into the front hatches of kayaks too often and left there “overnight” for a few days. Great hats for paddle sports, them Tilleys are, even if they’re a bit pricey.

My Tilley is flecked with mildew stains from getting stuffed into the front hatches of kayaks too often and left there “overnight” for a few days. Great hats for paddle sports, them Tilleys are, even if they’re a bit pricey.

The Tilley is a great hat, but I never wear mine.

Hey Arcy, I see you're from Redmond, WA, but are still familiar with the word "toque". I have many American friends who seem to call their toques "watch caps" or "stocking caps" or even "knit caps", but it's really nice to see an American who knows the correct name for these hats.

To Americans, toques are the white mushroom-like hats that chefs wear. To us, calling a watch cap a toque would be one toque over the line. ;)

Top Bottom