FS: Cocobolo Ukuleles from Kevin Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dionysis

Reaction score
(See below for the other nine ukuleles I am selling.)

This Cocobolo Ukuleles Concert #328 purchased in November 2017 from Kevin Keith comes with a side sound hole, MiSi under-saddle pickup, planetary tuning pegs, and Uke Crazy polyfoam case.

With a 12" radiused fretboard and low action, it has the nicest, fastest, most fun fretboard and neck I have ever played, out of over 50 ukuleles I have owned, including Kamakas, Koalohas, Kanile’a, Pono Pro Classics, Martins, Kala Elite, Monkey Wrench, Kiwaya/ Famous, Ohana. If I could afford to keep it, there is no way I would ever sell it. It is also the most strikingly beautiful ukulele I have ever owned, on a par with my nice koa ukuleles. (I have already sold many ukuleles I wish I could have keep forever, but even so I still have some nice ones!)

Solid Nicaraguan Cocobolo Rosewood Soundboard, Back and Sides. Solid Nicaraguan Teak Neck, Heel and Bracing. Cocobolo and Olive Body Binding. Peghed Geared Ukulele Tuners. Worth Browns Fluorocarbon Ukulele Strings. Waverly Snakewood Bridge Pins. White Mother of Pearl Fretboard Top and Side Fret Markers. Side Sound Port.

So, why am I selling this wonderful ukulele? For a long time the concert was my favorite size. A while back I decided to switch to the tenor size as my primary, and to mainly practice and play that size. So I have bought a couple of very nice and expensive tenors and need to sell down to just my favorite tenors, as well as a few other favorites.

I paid $808 for this ukulele.

My asking price here is $565 shipped CONUS

Here are my other ukes for sale.

Concert scale:
Mya Moe Concert # 2213, MASTER GRADE Myrtle and Kala Hard Case
SOLD Bruko Soprano Longneck, curly maple, arch back thin body, excellent travel ukulele! 2.75mm action

Tenor scale:
SOLD Tiny Tenor T-TK
GONE Opio KCO-02
Ohana SK-30L + HARD CASE
SOLD Kumu KOA-TF72 thin-body

Soprano scale:
SOLD Ohana PK-25G pineapple
Vintage Regal sunburst
Regal

Cocobolo Ukuleles - 100.jpgCocobolo Ukuleles - 101.jpgCocobolo Ukuleles - 102.jpgCocobolo Ukuleles - 103.jpg

Last edited:
That is gorgeous! If this was a tenor, I would snatch it up. I love the wood in this.

It is a beautiful wood, and with so much variety to it's appearance. I found it to be a nice tonewood as well. Hopefully it won't become over-harvested and unobtainable!

Thanks for the reply!

That is gorgeous! If this was a tenor, I would snatch it up. I love the wood in this.

Cocobolo concerts are 16 inch scale. Not the standard 15 inch or the tenor 17 inch like a super concert. I just got mine, and it’s outstanding. Someone will be very happy with this ukulele.

Cocobolo concerts are 16 inch scale. Not the standard 15 inch or the tenor 17 inch like a super concert. I just got mine, and it’s outstanding. Someone will be very happy with this ukulele.
I don't think that's universally (or even commonly?) true, is it? I had the first one built and I know there were others but I thought they had mostly gone back to standard 15".

I don't think that's universally (or even commonly?) true, is it? I had the first one built and I know there were others but I thought they had mostly gone back to standard 15".

Mine, received last week is 16 inch. The website lists their concerts as 16 inch.

Mine, received last week is 16 inch. The website lists their concerts as 16 inch.

I stand corrected. :shaka: Maybe that's a recent change as well. I see the website no longer lists soprano and I know I've seen lottery announcements for soprano in the past few months.

Hey Dionysus, can you check your scale length?

I will when I get a chance. I have around 40 ukuleles right now. I kinda boxed the 8 I’m selling for shipping after I took the photos, so I will have to hunt for it in a packed full walk-in closet. So I’ll measure it when I get a chance. Unless, of course, any of you are thinking of buying it and want to know the scale length to inform your decision.

My guess though, is that is is standard concert scale length.

I have bought from Dennis (Dionysis) and he was great to work with. The ukulele arrived well packed exactly as described! Good luck with selling off these instruments Dennis ~

Have never heard Cocobolo so how would you compare the sound? Is it like walnut? Also what shape of neck does it have,? I prefer a modified C neck since I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes find it hard to get my hand curved around it.

Cocobolo neck cross sections, & more - 1.jpgCocobolo neck cross sections, & more - 2.jpg

Here is the answer to the shape of the neck question. I commissioned a custom uke to match the neck shaped and dimensions of the Cocobolo neck, so I took profiles and measurements. Ultimately the luthier failed so I didn't get my dream uke. But at least I have these for some future day when I can afford a top quality build.

As for the sound, it is good, but less warm than koa or mahogany. I did some videos one day to recore the differences of some of my ukes. Unfortunately I made no effort to play anything pleasing so I am embarrassed with the results. But maybe you can glean something from these videos.

Either way, happy hunting in your never ending search for your dream instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjUSChwgvrw

I did some blind sound tests with some friends afte the video. They preferred the sound of Koaloha or Kanilea to the sound of the Cocobolo, but admitted some bias toward Koa wood instruments. However, it was kind of a tie between my koa Martin and the Cocobolo just in terms of preference.

Also, I thought it sounded a little better after i removed the under saddle pickup. But I did more blind sound tests with friends who ruled that out. The Cocobolo has a super sweet low action and very comfortable neck, the best ever in my opinion.

Have never heard Cocobolo so how would you compare the sound? Is it like walnut? Also what shape of neck does it have,? I prefer a modified C neck since I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes find it hard to get my hand curved around it.

Cyn, did you see the attachments showing the neck dimensions and profile, as well as the link to a youtube video in which I gave a sound sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom