Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tenor Guitar

If I understood correctly, cuatro has low 1st and 4th strings, and the middle ones are from the next higher octave. The intervals are the same, but the technique and sound and individual notes are different from those of ukes.

Hi all

Just listening to some tenor guitar playing, when strumming it is not quite the sound i want if there are two open strings with their drone effect. I think a lot of people like this, but i am wondering do some people only stum 3 strings when strumming in fifths tuning?

Thanks
    David

i think this guy is doing it but i am a bit confused
    Last edited by Davoravo; 01-17-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Do you mean that the chord voicing is so open that it gets too boomy? Does it depend on the inversion that is used? That is it the I, III or V that's the lowest or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupu View Post
    Do you mean that the chord voicing is so open that it gets too boomy? Does it depend on the inversion that is used? That is it the I, III or V that's the lowest or something.
    Hi, no it is the very distinctive jangle. I am not sure i can explain it, it sounds like a very exotic instrument. Because most tenor guitar players pick melody you dont always hear it. I am after more of a guitar sound. Thanks

Edit: wondering if the sound is a result of youtube compression.

Edit2: actually i think it is a deliberate sustained drone allowed to ring over changing chords, so purely a technique thing. Please excuse me ;-)
    Last edited by Davoravo; 01-18-2020 at 09:27 AM.

I traded my last tenor guitar away for a 12 string. 1928 Martin2-18T for a late 60’s Martin 12-20.

Well, I finally got around to tuning my new BR T60 to DGBE. CGDA just wasn’t working for me. I couldn’t find much music to play with it, except for Tenor banjo stuff which has way too many chords for me to learn and remember. There are lots of Irish books, but I already have a bunch for my Irish banjo and mandolin.

I’m happy with the change. DGBE is closer to my banjos’ tuning, and I have some baritone ukulele books and other stuff I can use. I already know many of the chords that I’ll be usin’ too.

The BR is still too large though and higher pitched than I like. It’s really a moose. I dunno what a real guitar would feel like.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Thread Information