Tenor and Classical Guitars

Today I repeated yesterday’s session. Even though it’s very basic, I’m not comfortable fretting the strings. They seem very close to each other. I just want to get usta all the position changes. so I’m taking it slow.

Now, I’m trying harder to follow the Classical Guitar book and play correctly. I had two good sessions yesterday and two today. Today’s was difficult, but now I’m beginning to show some improvement. I’m beginning to feel more comfortable with the Classicalele too.

Two sessions of scales and alternate fretting today. I’m trying to get usta EADGBE tuning with tabs. I’m mostly usta GDAE or (g)DGBD. GCEA I only use for singing accompaniment. I’ve decided not to use notation for Classical because it’ll mess up my GDAE tuning. My old brain can’t take too much change. I’m gittin’ usta the string width, but I wish they were wider apart.

This is a review of the Carcassi method which I found.

Even if you are not interested in Carcassi, it summarises some interesting background concepts and ideas that underlie some aspects of learning Classical guitar and playing in the Classical Guitar genre.

Would this book be a good beginners book going into classical guitar? I too have toyed with the idea of learning to play classical. I would like something like an introduction that would give me a good picture of what is ahead.

The book was first published in 1836, 186 years, and is still in publication and is still used by some guitar teachers. Not a bad run for a guitar tutor book. The review was written by Narayan Kumar who appears to be associated with this website and forum: https://www.classicalguitarcorner.com . It costs money to join and I am not a member. I found the article searching for something else and thought it had a useful discussion about some aspects of Classical Guitar as well as being a review of the book. The download of the original book in PDF format was free from the review, that may not last forever.

This is a quote from the introduction to the article: "Carcassi’s Method for Classical Guitar was first published in 1836. It is still going strong through its various editions. For a good reason. It works. For a modern student who wants to learn the key concepts of classical guitar playing without spending too much time, the Carcassi method is ideal. The main method section is hardly 90 pages long. It is fast paced and deals with essentials only."

I am not a teacher and I suggest you read the article and make your own decision. Its easy enough to download the PDF file and print the book for free. Make sure you read it all the way through to the end and particularly the timescales which the author thinks is "without spending too much time".

This is the closing sentence, referring to the 25 Studies in the book : "As many a student has found out, these studies will keep them company over decades"

I am no expert on classical guitar and I am not all that interested in becoming an expert or "scholar" in the instrument. I just like to play my guitar. I did lessons for a year 30 years ago. Now I just read the music and play it.

If you really want to learn "Classical Guitar" and perform at concerts as a "Classical Guitarist" you should find the right teacher and do the study, part of the genre is knowing all the stuff, its not just playing a guitar. And even though this is several years of work, I think that you would enjoy the outcomes if you put in the work, but I never bothered with that level.

Teaching yourself from a book wont cut the mustard unless you are like me, a self indulgent musical instrument owner who never performs for anyone except themselves. But if you are old, and don't care much anymore, it could be a good starting point and may lead you to get the confidence to approach a serious Classical Guitar teacher for lessons or just help you be able to sit out and watch the sunset with a G&T and your guitar and some friends.

So read the article and make up your own mind if the method is for you.
I went to the referenced link and no where can I find a place to download a free book. First off I had to register my information and then they would e-mail me. I never received an e-mail. So in my opinion the free book is offered no more. All that did show at that site was the cost of several programs. But thank you anyway for the link.

I’ve had a good coupla days, workin’ on basics. I haven’t been usin’ the book, but today I’ll probably go back to it. My fretting is improving, and the alternating two finger picking is now mostly doable. I cautiously tried usin’ my fingernails to pick, and it was easy peasy. Now if I can just keep them from breaking.

I‘ve been playin’ all kinda different stringed instruments since 2014, and I’ve taught myself all kinda different stuff — some okay some dumb. Now I’m changing yet again. I guess I just enjoy messin’ with my head — and fingers. It would help me immensely if I had a memory. Remembering teachers and some kids’ names in 1st grade is not helpin’ me much now — ahhh, well . . .

Not sure what you are doing. I just clicked the link and it linked to a site called Free Sheet Music and had a download button. No emails.

This is the quote where the link is, probably the third paragraph. The link in this quote will not work, this is just a quote.

"You can download a free copy of the Carcassi Method. It is about 120 pages (yellowing) and gives you a good grasp of what you can expect if you order a paid copy (edited for modern students) – which you should. Once you are convinced about the method, you should order a modern edition for yourself."
I got side tracked some how into the stuff that was for sale. Tonight I did it right and downloaded the book. Thank you

I’ve had a good coupla days, workin’ on basics. I haven’t been usin’ the book, but today I’ll probably go back to it. My fretting is improving, and the alternating two finger picking is now mostly doable. I cautiously tried usin’ my fingernails to pick, and it was easy peasy. Now if I can just keep them from breaking.

I‘ve been playin’ all kinda different stringed instruments since 2014, and I’ve taught myself all kinda different stuff — some okay some dumb. Now I’m changing yet again. I guess I just enjoy messin’ with my head — and fingers. It would help me immensely if I had a memory. Remembering teachers and some kids’ names in 1st grade is not helpin’ me much now — ahhh, well . . .
Have you tried finger picks? I've used them a few times with the tenor guitar and tenor banjo.

Hi, Steve, yeah, I use finger picks with my banjos when I wanna play louder. I want to try one of those new thumb picks that one can use like a flat pick. I was using fingernails because I’m learning to play Classical Guitar (nylon strings) with my fingers.

I haven’t seen your little white dog in a while. Are you still makin’ music?

Would this book be a good beginners book going into classical guitar?
Two questions:
  1. Can you already read musical notation?
  2. Are you planning to work with a teacher or embark on self-study?

Two questions:
  1. Can you already read musical notation?
  2. Are you planning to work with a teacher or embark on self-study?
Yes I read music well. I played clarinet as a child on to about age 35 then sax. I also played accordion. Now I play piano with music scores. I also play baritone ukulele and love the guitalele, both scales 17" and 20 " scale. I plan to go with self study.

Yes I read music well.
Yes, you can use the Carcassi method but ....

I plan to go with self study.
IMHO, the Carcassi method:
  • Lacks modern classical guitar pedagogy.
  • Works better when a teacher uses parts of it for providing exercises and studies.
  • Is better suited for a more experienced student looking for an expanded range of exercises (if used for self-study).
That's my opinion.

If you want to seriously travel down the road of classical guitar and are in need of remote instruction, you might want to join the Delcamp.net forums and register for the free graded online classes there.

I had a good session today. I was gonna use the book after my day off yesterday, but I decided that I‘d go over what I learned the other day by ear.

I’ve been playing DGBE tunes on my baritone for quite a while, but I get all fumbly when using them on the Classicalele. The two bass notes don’t have anything to do with the other four notes — strange . . .

My progress seems very slow, and I surely don’t like the clumsiness and the lack of understanding that I’m feeling. I guess it’s just my age — ahhh, well . . .

I had a good session today. I was gonna use the book after my day off yesterday, but I decided that I‘d go over what I learned the other day by ear.

I’ve been playing DGBE tunes on my baritone for quite a while, but I get all fumbly when using them on the Classicalele. The two bass notes don’t have anything to do with the other four notes — strange . . .

My progress seems very slow, and I surely don’t like the clumsiness and the lack of understanding that I’m feeling. I guess it’s just my age — ahhh, well . . .
All of the tunes that I have learned on the baritone I play on the guitalele's first or top four strings. The tunes sound better on the guitalele then on the baritone in my opinion and seem to have better sustain. I tune my guitalele E to E and baritone DGBE but even if guitalele is in another tuning I still think of it and play it as if I am in E to E. Don't get me wrong, I still love my first love, the baritone.
Old age, WOW I can relate to that. I am practicing and my coffee gets cold so I go to dinning room to heat it in microwave. Then I start talking with my wife for a minute or two and when we are finished talking I ask her to make me a cup of coffee. Then she reminds me I have one in the microwave. Sometimes when I am home alone I go to make a cup of coffee and find one that I started heating in the microwave an hour ago. Getting old is fun.

Yeah, my main problem is with nouns. I cannot remember anyone’s name, or the correct name for anyplace and what to call anything. Sometimes I learn a tune (Ha!) or part of one, and 2 days later it’s like I never heard of it. I make up names for people, places and things, and my poor wife translates and tells me what I mean. Bah!

I was a smart guy once a thingamagig a time!

First session today, and I was more comfortable except for the Index/Middle finger switch. Also, I’m trying to use tabs, but I keep reading the notes. I’m worried that it will mess me up with the GDAE stuff. READ THE TAB!!

The second session was better. The alternating fingers were closer to being correct most of the time. I guess old age brings bad coordination to one. It’s a wonder I can even walk.

Anyhow, I am beginning to drag myself forward a little.

Last edited:
Well, what the heck! After my dismal coupla sessions, I seem to have finally shown some improvement. My m-I-m picking is pretty much the way it’s supposed to be, I’m reading the tabs (not notation) and I‘m beginning to understand what I’m doing. I’ll play some more later to see if it all really happened.

Good session again. Mostly i/m and reading tabs. Improving slowly, but improving. Most of my difficulties are caused by the way I originally taught myself to play — ahhh, well . . .

I zeroed in on my Left Hand Position, and major scale fretting with my finger tips today. Much different from my old style, but still usable on my other instruments I think.

I usta play everything except my tuba standing, so I learned all the stringed instruments much differently and maybe incorrectly. Then I changed to being seated and probably played even wronger. //Just messin’ with the Spell check.//. Now, I‘m renewing myself yet again. Ha! Mebbe I only keep changin’ to have an excuse for not playin’ anything worth a darn.

Besides it’s much more interestin’.

Second session same as the first, but with a few more correctly fretted tunes.

Last edited:
Well, yesterday I pried my wallet open and bought a Guitar for dummies book. It’s great. I had a lot of questions, and it’s already answered most of them. I like it. Now, if only it’ll help me move ahead faster.

Top Bottom