Arlo at Carnegie Hall

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Saturday night, November 30, 2019, I saw Arlo Guthrie at his 52 - and Final - Thanksgiving Concert at Carnegie Hall.

As usual, it was superb. Bu there was one thing different:

In all the years I've watched him perform, this was the first time I've seen him play "Ukulele Lady" on a ukulele.

A beautiful little Pegasus uke; Couldn't really see the headstock from the audience, but his web site has a photo of the uke, when he got it in October.

The sound was, of course, amazing (And Arlo also does a slack key guitar piece he wrote years ago while he was in Hawaii for "The Byrds of Paradise").

So I finally got to see Arlo at Carnegie Hall, after years of saying "Maybe next year". I'm glad I got off of my butt!

-Kurt​

Hey Kurt, really glad to hear that Arlo is playing a Bob Gleason ukulele. I get to see Bob at least once a year when he comes to our Kauai builders group get together. He is a fun person to be around and a terrific builder who shares his vast store of knowledge freely. Hopefully Arlo can do a concert on the islands sometime, I would very much like to see him.
Brad

Hopefully you got some pics...

...with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was.

John

Hopefully you got some pics...

...with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was.

John

As much as I would have loved to,John, the Carnegie Hall ushers were swooping down on anyone with a camera/phone during the concert.

One interesting turn of events is that before the hall opened, while in the Weiss lounge, I notice a pair of attractive women about 5 feet from me, taking selfies, and I thought that they looked a lot like Annie and Cathy Guthrie! But, I thought, what would Annie and Cathy be doing out here in the lounge, 45 minutes before the show starts? So I held back on my initial impulse to go over, say hello, and introduce myself. (My wife would have been amused - I don't do that type of thing, ever!)

When the concert started, and Cathy and Annie walked out on stage, I wanted to start kicking myself... and didn't get a chance to explain what happened to my wife, until intermission.

I was right - she was amused.

The closest I got to photo was this:
Sold Out.jpg

And this enlightening sign on the New York State Thruway, while driving home on Sunday...

thruway sign.jpg

I sort of had an encounter once with Arlo. Back in the 70's I was playing in a jazz quintet, I was a trumpet major in college. We used play at a place owned by Alice Brock the owner of Alice's Restaurant. She had opened a restaurant/bar near Tanglewood. She had two or three small motel units and some tennis courts. If we played there off season we would stay in a couple of the motel rooms. During the warmer months we would stay in a small apartment over the bar.
We were playing the weekend during the summer months and were staying in the apartment. I pulled my horn out to practice for awhile. Next thing we knew the phone in the apartment rang and one of the employees told me to put the God damn horn away. It turned out that Arlo was being interviewed by public tv right outside the bar and I was ruining the interview.

Top Bottom