Why I Can No Longer Recommend Pono Ukuleles

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is a difficult thread for me to write. I really like my Pono tenors—I own six of them. (MGT; ATD; ETSH-PCC; PTEC-CE; RTC(S)-PC & MTSH-C-MS.)

Without reservation, I’ve steered several people towards buying them. Because, I’ve often considered their starting-level ukes to be some of the best bang-for-the-buck bargains on the market.

They were well made, durable and sounded great. I always thought they were a perfect, step up from an entry-level beginner’s tenor. (Provided the somewhat thick, C-shaped neck fit the person’s hand.)

I’m afraid that after attempting to buy my seventh, an MGTP pineapple tenor, I found the quality has declined.

I decided to get the base-level mango pineapple because it has a satin finish, and I feel that its sound was more open than the gloss-finished deluxe or PC versions.

The mango body of the instrument was excellent. Tight, smooth, and good-looking with an excellent deep, warm and mellow voice.

The neck, however, was another story entirely. The mahogany varied a lot in color. It had a light colored streak up its side and the three sections that make up the heel had angled color variations put together without regard to appearance. It looked crude, and called attention to the stacked heel. On top of that, the neck and headstock looked as though a stain was sprayed on to disguise some of the problems with the wood. (Attached photos.)

Left Side Join.jpg Left Side Join2.jpg Headstock.jpg

I sent pictures and complained to the vendor that I felt that the quality was of a B-stock instrument, and not that of a first-quality instrument. It wasn't up to Pono standards for a $400 tenor. Certainly, not something that I wanted to give as a gift to my niece.

I asked to exchange it for a better-made example, or to get a refund.

In response, I was told that the neck was not sprayed, that the color variations were all in the grain of the wood. (!?) Even if I accepted that explanation, it still does not excuse the way the neck was built. It should never have gotten through QC at the factory. Nor does it excuse it passing through the taking of listing photos, the full setup, nor packing for shipment, without someone pulling it for obvious quality issues.

They told me to send it back for a refund. With no offer to exchange it. Which tells me the other ones they have are no better.

I have a 2017 Pono MGT mango tenor that is excellent. The neck has some variation in grain and color. But it is subtle, and not at all objectionable. I still marvel at how well it is made and sounds.

To say I was disappointed in this pineapple tenor is an understatement. And, because the build quality was so poor on the neck, I can no longer recommend Pono for a starting-level tenor. People should also be wary of their other entry-level sizes, and perhaps the higher-costing models as well. For, if this is acceptable workmanship for this model, what are they passing through on the other ones?

If you decide to buy a Pono, I would strongly recommend that you get photos to make sure the build quality is what you expect it should be, before you pull the trigger.

That really is a dog's breakfast of a neck. If that's the sort of thing that passes quality control, I don't think I'd want to chance buying one either. Not that I ever planned to, but I too have recommended them to friends.

I may have missed it, however, if this is a new instrument, perhaps your first plan of action would be to contact Pono and give them a chance to correct. I would say the same whatever brand we would be discussing. Understood the seller would not help you, and, i am sure you will not refer others to that establishment.

This is a difficult thread for me to write. I really like my Pono tenors—I own six of them. (MGT; ATD; ETSH-PCC; PTEC-CE; RTC(S)-PC & MTSH-C-MS.)

Without reservation, I’ve steered several people towards buying them. Because, I’ve often considered their starting-level ukes to be some of the best bang-for-the-buck bargains on the market.

They were well made, durable and sounded great. I always thought they were a perfect, step up from an entry-level beginner’s tenor. (Provided the somewhat thick, C-shaped neck fit the person’s hand.)

I’m afraid that after attempting to buy my seventh, an MGTP pineapple tenor, I found the quality has declined.

I decided to get the base-level mango pineapple because it has a satin finish, and I feel that its sound was more open than the gloss-finished deluxe or PC versions.

The mango body of the instrument was excellent. Tight, smooth, and good-looking with an excellent deep, warm and mellow voice.

The neck, however, was another story entirely. The mahogany varied a lot in color. It had a light colored streak up its side and the three sections that make up the heel had angled color variations put together without regard to appearance. It looked crude, and called attention to the stacked heel. On top of that, the neck and headstock looked as though a stain was sprayed on to disguise some of the problems with the wood. (Attached photos.)

View attachment 123389 View attachment 123390 View attachment 123391

I sent pictures and complained to the vendor that I felt that the quality was of a B-stock instrument, and not that of a first-quality instrument. It wasn't up to Pono standards for a $400 tenor. Certainly, not something that I wanted to give as a gift to my niece.

I asked to exchange it for a better-made example, or to get a refund.

In response, I was told that the neck was not sprayed, that the color variations were all in the grain of the wood. (!?) Even if I accepted that explanation, it still does not excuse the way the neck was built. It should never have gotten through QC at the factory. Nor does it excuse it passing through the taking of listing photos, the full setup, nor packing for shipment, without someone pulling it for obvious quality issues.

They told me to send it back for a refund. With no offer to exchange it. Which tells me the other ones they have are no better.

I have a 2017 Pono MGT mango tenor that is excellent. The neck has some variation in grain and color. But it is subtle, and not at all objectionable. I still marvel at how well it is made and sounds.

To say I was disappointed in this pineapple tenor is an understatement. And, because the build quality was so poor on the neck, I can no longer recommend Pono for a starting-level tenor. People should also be wary of their other entry-level sizes, and perhaps the higher-costing models as well. For, if this is acceptable workmanship for this model, what are they passing through on the other ones?

If you decide to buy a Pono, I would strongly recommend that you get photos to make sure the build quality is what you expect it should be, before you pull the trigger.
Is it just me who thinks there is nothing wrong here? Wood varies in shades and color, beansprout actually makes it a feature of their Ukes.. the sound is "Tight, smooth, and good-looking with an excellent deep, warm and mellow voice."
A full refund was offered.. what I am I missing here..? FYI: From what I understand bearclaw used to be looked down upon by some as a flaw and now this seems to be an desirable attribute..
I do not think stain was sprayed incorrectly.. maybe a luthier who has more experience can comment..

Like yourself, I am happy to own several fine Pono instruments and have recommended them to dozens of people. What I particularly like about them is that they are all solid wood and that they offer so many options (woods, cutaway, slothead) and unusual models (like that pineapple shaped tenor you got there, or their Nui and UL).

I totally agree that a company like this needs good quality control and constant examination of their product rollout, especially since they aren't exactly cheap. However, from what I understand, the problem you mention is strictly cosmetic and has nothing to do with "poor build quality", as there is no affect on sound or playability (no tangible crack in the neck or anything of that sort, right)? I agree that they could take a little more effort and pride in using pieces of wood for the heel of the neck that match in grain and color, but I don't see why they should burn an entire piece of perfectly fine wood just because it shows some variations? In many cases, figured wood is exactly what we - the players and consumers - want, and not just with the exotic woods used for the bodies: In the past, aesthetic preferences have shifted from perfectly "black" fretboards (often dyed) to showing some figures and sapwood. As long as it doesn't affect the playability or the tone, I wouldn't request companies to use only homogeneous looking wood for the neck and throw out every piece that shows some variation in color (which can often only be told when the neck is finished), especially since the supply of exotic hardwoods is shrinking. I would, however, want them - the companies who build or sell them - to be up front about it by providing pictures of the exact instrument so that any potential buyer can decide if the looks are to his or her taste or not.

It looks okay to me and I suspect most people would be fine with the cosmetics of this Pono, especially if it sounded good at this price point. If you're particular about the appearance of wood grain, you should pick out the instrument in person and/or save up for premium wood cuts.

It's got a real pretty heel cap on it. That's a nice touch for a base model.

What a strange and unnecessary diatribe. If you don't like that particular uke, take the refund. That's how it works when you buy online.

It isn't faulty - you just don't like it.

John Colter

I have to agree with John here. I wouldn't reject that one myself either. It's just cosmetic surely?

Ken I like you and consider you an online friend but I think you jumped the couch on this one pal. It is purely cosmetic as others have said, wood is wood and will vary in color, grain and shading. I have a $3000 custom with a stacked heel that is noticeable, it is wood.

I think you might come to regret writing this post while in the heat of the moment. You accuse Pono of poor build quality, the build quality on that neck is fine, you just don’t like the way it looks. The vendor offered you a full refund, that is very fair.

20191204_083025.jpg20191204_082954.jpg20191204_083113.jpg

Last edited:
The perceived value or beauty of any ukulele is a personal thing.

If the buyer sees fault with an instrument, it’s up to them whether they will cease to recommend instruments by that maker to others.

For whatever its worth, I agree with the OP that the stacked heel of that neck is very unattractive. I would also agree that, while it is a cosmetic problem, it betrays a level of craftsmanship and quality control that, if it became the norm, would put Pono into a lower category in my opinion.

In other words, if that represents their work these days, then I think it is perhaps more accurate to say their offerings are a bit pricey for what you get, rather than the adhering to the old chestnut that Pono makes ukuleles that are of excellent quality considering their price.

Last edited:
It seems cosmetic, to me. But if I were quality control there, I'd probably say, this neck is okay for a sunburst finish...

This is a tough one. I actually kind of like the look of the stacked heel; but is one of the Grover tuners sitting a little wonky? Kenn, PLEASE know that my following thought isn't directed at you personally, but... it may be that certain merchants, upon being informed that a buyer is not real happy with certain aspects of an instrument (even though the merchant may feel that the instrument is decent enough), may prefer to just offer a refund rather than sending a replacement, because they may have found, based on past experience, that the buyer is likely to find fault with the replacement too, and then everyone's back in the same boat. I know from your postings on here that you are a reasonable person and that your concerns are expressed in very good faith; but I think we all know that merchants sometimes have to contend with that proverbial "customer from hell", and so they adopt a policy of "refunding" rather than "trying another one". Hopefully that makes sense and will not be misinterpreted as an attack on you, Kenn, as this strikes me as kind of a 50/50 situation.

This is a tough one. I actually kind of like the look of the stacked heel; but is one of the Grover tuners sitting a little wonky? Kenn, PLEASE know that my following thought isn't directed at you personally, but... it may be that certain merchants, upon being informed that a buyer is not real happy with certain aspects of an instrument (even though the merchant may feel that the instrument is decent enough), may prefer to just offer a refund rather than sending a replacement, because they may have found, based on past experience, that the buyer is likely to find fault with the replacement too, and then everyone's back in the same boat. I know from your postings on here that you are a reasonable person and that your concerns are expressed in very good faith; but I think we all know that merchants sometimes have to contend with that proverbial "customer from hell", and so they adopt a policy of "refunding" rather than "trying another one". Hopefully that makes sense and will not be misinterpreted as an attack on you, Kenn, as this strikes me as kind of a 50/50 situation.

The heel only looks that way on one side.

I understand your comment Bill. No offense taken. I have paid restocking fees without a problem when I returned an Opio tenor that I did not like the way it sounded or the quality of the finish. Not to mention the return shipping.

Every one of my Ponos has a stacked heel. It's easy to see that they do, but it doesn't jump out at you. They are all well made and terrific sounding.

I have returned the uke, paid the restocking fees and accepted the 10% reduction for having a pickup installed as well as a heel strap button. No argument.

Here is my yardstick: Is this an instrument that you will be proud of giving to someone else for a gift? In this case, the answer is: "No."
I have no problem with a stacked heel. But the selecting a very prominent diagonal color edge such as this is just unacceptable. Add to that the light-colored streak and the builder who selected those woods to use was not doing his or her job. Poor craftsmanship. It just looks bad. And it looks cheap.

I have an Ohana Cedar/Rosewood tenor that is designated as B-stock. The flaws are subtle and hard to find. It cost $100 less than the pono and looks much better.

I bought this Pono as a gift for my niece. The build does not represent the quality I feel that should be that of a $400 ukulele. If they had said, "Oops! That ukulele somehow made it through our quality checks. We'll replace it." Again, no problem. But it was: "Return it."

The fact that it sounds and plays good is not the issue. A quality product does both. I don't buy a winter coat that is warm but looks bad with one sleeve of mixed colors and a seam that is crooked. Why would I accept this in an instrument?

I'm sorry. If this is the level of quality of current Pono ukuleles, then I will not recommend them, nor will I buy any more. I will get her a Mainland or other tenor that is well made and sounds as good. Pity, because I know she wanted a tenor pineapple.

That stripe up the neck sure looks like a blemish to me.

I agree that it looks like a QC issue from the manufacturer, but, shouldn't the dealer catch that in the pre-sale inspection?

Sure looks it to me. Little stuff like that bugs me, especially on a $400.00 instrument. Lining them up with a straight edge would help.

I don't think we should jump to such drastic conclusions from a picture, especially since it was obviously taken with a wide-angle.

To the OP: Are you sure your niece would mind about that neck? She might have completely different priorities than yourself (like that she wants a Pineapple Tenor). Because again: What you are criticizing here is nothing but your own personal and strictly subjective feeling that cannot be generalized, not an issue of "poor craftsmanship" or "poor quality control" (as long as the visible line isn't a crack in the wood that can be felt and would disturb your playing). Would you really expect a builder to throw away a perfectly fine finished neck that has no other "flaw" but a bit of color variation, only because it wouldn't match some people's taste, while many others wouldn't mind???

I've looked at this on my phone, then checked on my computer to make the pictures larger. I feel like I can't be reading this right, but you're never ever going to recommend Pono again because wood is stripey and a vendor annoyed you? Mountain, meet molehill.

:confused:

I actually like the look of it; the stacked heel is nice - to me - and I think the stripe up the neck is pretty. My opinion is simply that the only way to avoid such things is check them all in person, before purchasing.

That being said, I'm not a fan of pineapple ukes, generally speaking, although there are exceptions.

Interesting read. I'd like to offer my perspective as a Quality Control professional and a member of the American Society for Quality.

Quality has many characteristics From a layman's perspective, it could mean good workmanship, durable, features, aesthetics, good value, and customer service. It could also mean customer loyalty and customer satisfaction, as defined by Joseph Juran, who is considered the guru of Quality. Since Kenn2018 was not satisfied for the reasons he stated, it falls under the definition of "poor quality". According to Juran, it is the customer that defines what quality is.

I hate to disagree with my friends on this forum, so please accept my apologies in advance.

Luke

Interesting read. I'd like to offer my perspective as a Quality Control professional and a member of the American Society for Quality.

Quality has many characteristics From a layman's perspective, it could mean good workmanship, durable, features, aesthetics, good value, and customer service. It could also mean customer loyalty and customer satisfaction, as defined by Joseph Juran, who is considered the father of Quality. Since Kenn2018 was not satisfied for the reasons he stated, it falls under the definition of "poor quality". According to Juran, it is the customer that defines what quality is.

I hate to disagree with my friends on this forum, so please accept my apologies in advance.

Luke

Top Bottom