Why I Can No Longer Recommend Pono Ukuleles

Interesting read. I'd like to offer my perspective as a Quality Control professional and a member of the American Society for Quality.

Quality has many characteristics From a layman's perspective, it could mean good workmanship, durable, features, aesthetics, good value, and customer service. It could also mean customer loyalty and customer satisfaction, as defined by Joseph Juran, who is considered the father of Quality. Since Kenn2018 was not satisfied for the reasons he stated, it falls under the definition of "poor quality". According to Juran, it is the customer that defines what quality is.

Hey Luke, thanks for adding your insight into quality control, always good to have a professional's perspective. So if quality in this sense is defined by each individual's personal preferences, resulting in an indefinite range of "good quality" vs. "poor quality" for the very same product, what else is a company to do other than to sell their product and take it back from those who are not pleased with it? To me, this would define the quality of customer support (rather than of the product) and has been done in this case.

Hey Luke, thanks for adding your insight into quality control, always good to have a professional's perspective. So if quality in this sense is defined by each individual's personal preferences, resulting in an indefinite range of "good quality" vs. "poor quality" for the very same product, what else is a company to do other than to sell their product and take it back from those who are not pleased with it? To me, this would define the quality of customer support (rather than of the product) and has been done in this case.

Hi Rainer:

You are right. Customer support is one component of quality. Companies that strive for excellence also include greater customer support and service, and will do what it takes to satisfy the customer, even though the customer might not be right. They might lose money on that one sale in the short run but on the long run will have gained a loyal customer that keeps coming back.

Your friend Luke

I was at HMS yesterday (dealing with a Ratio tuner problem) and saw two of the Pono oval mango tenor models and took a close look at them. Workmanship was impeccable and both played and sounded good. A bargain at $400! The two in the shop sported the "stacked" neck heal and assorted asymmetrical wood figure and, I must say, were very attractive to my eye. I felt like buying one but I bought three ukuleles this month so I had to slap myself a couple times and step away. Incidentally, HMS customer service is top tier. The Ratio tuner failures on my Kala Koa Elite were not their fault but they (Cory) were extremely fast in fixing the problem—overnight upgrade to Gotoh UPTs.

Can you say ... NORDSTROM? ... and HMS?

Even with all the “digital competition” allegedly contributing to the demise of other long-established retailers, Nordstrom’s profits and stock value continue to grow.

You are right. Customer support is one component of quality. Companies that strive for excellence also include greater customer support and service, and will do what it takes to satisfy the customer, even though the customer might not be right. They might lose money on that one sale in the short run but on the long run will have gained a loyal customer that keeps coming back.

I apologize for a negative experience Ken. As you know, we’re trying our best to make everyone happy. In your email to me you detailed why you thought it was defective and not happy. I didn’t see anything about you wanting a replacement, which is why my only reply to you was,

“Those aren't stains or defects, but just aspects of the wood natural to it. Wood has all kinds of variety and it doesn't make it defective. But I'll have Veronica send you a return label and we'll refund you in full.“

I hope that was done and you were refunded in full including shipping costs, and again, I apologize for the hassle that it was for you.

I've looked at this on my phone, then checked on my computer to make the pictures larger. I feel like I can't be reading this right, but you're never ever going to recommend Pono again because wood is stripey and a vendor annoyed you? Mountain, meet molehill.

:confused:
Well stated

I apologize for a negative experience Ken. As you know, we’re trying our best to make everyone happy. In your email to me you detailed why you thought it was defective and not happy. I didn’t see anything about you wanting a replacement, which is why my only reply to you was,

“Those aren't stains or defects, but just aspects of the wood natural to it. Wood has all kinds of variety and it doesn't make it defective. But I'll have Veronica send you a return label and we'll refund you in full.“

I hope that was done and you were refunded in full including shipping costs, and again, I apologize for the hassle that it was for you.

Seems like good customer service to me. Really struggling to see the issue here now.

Looks fine to me, who looks at the neck when playing? But then again these are expensive instruments...

A bit late in replying here, but I don't see the issue here - given that we're talking about a $400 instrument. At a higher price point (>$1500?) I would expect more attention to the wood grain matching. But at this price, looks fine to me.

Visually that neck and wood looks fine. Wood is wood, and it is OK to show some variation. If the sound is "an excellent deep, warm and mellow voice", then frankly I for one would be be quite happy with this instrument.

To me, variations in wood -- stripes, coloration, etc -- add to the character of an instrument, so long as those variations do not adversely affect sound & playability. However -- to each his (or her) own tastes and preferences.

It seems, Ken, like you really just wanted an exchange for a different uke. I know you said in your first thread that you told the vendor you wanted an exchange or refund, and he only gave you the refund option. I can't help wondering, did you try telling them that you just wanted to exchange it for a different instrument? I would want pics of any uke I'm ordering before it was sent, cuz, well, I'm fussy, lol. Sound is the critical thing, but I'm a sucker for a pretty top. I can't see bashing Pono for something that would be acceptable to many. If you don't get pics you're kind of taking a chance that you won't like the looks for one reason or another.

Oh, and if I was your niece I would have been thrilled with this gift.

Hi Ken - this is a random first post on this forum (hi everyone), but looks like I picked up this uke on the HMS Reverb site a few weeks ago. I was scanning this form for information on another pono (cedar top) today and came across this post. The uke described sounded like the one I bought - I came home and checked and, indeed, the uke was mine. I never noticed it before, and now that I see it, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm a violinist first, and the two violins I own are 102 and 66 yrs old, so I guess I'm used to cosmetic issues.

You were right about the sound - the voice is mellow, velvety and rich and is opening up the more I play. I love the instrument and very happy to own it. Thanks, I guess, for returning it! :)

Hi Ken - this is a random first post on this forum (hi everyone), but looks like I picked up this uke on the HMS Reverb site a few weeks ago. I was scanning this form for information on another pono (cedar top) today and came across this post. The uke described sounded like the one I bought - I came home and checked and, indeed, the uke was mine. I never noticed it before, and now that I see it, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm a violinist first, and the two violins I own are 102 and 66 yrs old, so I guess I'm used to cosmetic issues.

You were right about the sound - the voice is mellow, velvety and rich and is opening up the more I play. I love the instrument and very happy to own it. Thanks, I guess, for returning it! :)
A happy ending! Kudos to HMS!

Another reason you shouldn't spend hundreds on something without seeing it first.

I'm genuinely mystified why people recommend buying musical instruments online. I'd only ever buy an instrument unseen unless it was so cheap I didn't mind losing the money.

Another reason you shouldn't spend hundreds on something without seeing it first.

I'm genuinely mystified why people recommend buying musical instruments online. I'd only ever buy an instrument unseen unless it was so cheap I didn't mind losing the money.

Oh how it would be lovely to always try an instrument before buying it. Unfortunately, for many people that just isn't an option. I would have to visit a foreign country to be able to try any high-end uke before buying. Maybe you disagree but for me it's a bit more cost-effective to buy online.

Oh how it would be lovely to always try an instrument before buying it. Unfortunately, for many people that just isn't an option. I would have to visit a foreign country to be able to try any high-end uke before buying. Maybe you disagree but for me it's a bit more cost-effective to buy online.

Not at all! You don't have to justify yourself to me or anyone else here.

I wouldn't do it. But I'm not you.

My best ukulele came from Sweden. :D

Congrats to you, DonRikkles! I love Pono! I have two sopranos, and was waiting for the right Pono acacia tenor to pop up. But then I went and purchased a Kanile'a, my first Hawaiian uke. I still want that Pono tenor, though!

Top Bottom