Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I Can No Longer Recommend Pono Ukuleles

Interesting read. I'd like to offer my perspective as a Quality Control professional and a member of the American Society for Quality.

Quality has many characteristics From a layman's perspective, it could mean good workmanship, durable, features, aesthetics, good value, and customer service. It could also mean customer loyalty and customer satisfaction, as defined by Joseph Juran, who is considered the father of Quality. Since Kenn2018 was not satisfied for the reasons he stated, it falls under the definition of "poor quality". According to Juran, it is the customer that defines what quality is.

I hate to disagree with my friends on this forum, so please accept my apologies in advance.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
    Interesting read. I'd like to offer my perspective as a Quality Control professional and a member of the American Society for Quality.

Quality has many characteristics From a layman's perspective, it could mean good workmanship, durable, features, aesthetics, good value, and customer service. It could also mean customer loyalty and customer satisfaction, as defined by Joseph Juran, who is considered the father of Quality. Since Kenn2018 was not satisfied for the reasons he stated, it falls under the definition of "poor quality". According to Juran, it is the customer that defines what quality is.
    Hey Luke, thanks for adding your insight into quality control, always good to have a professional's perspective. So if quality in this sense is defined by each individual's personal preferences, resulting in an indefinite range of "good quality" vs. "poor quality" for the very same product, what else is a company to do other than to sell their product and take it back from those who are not pleased with it? To me, this would define the quality of customer support (rather than of the product) and has been done in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Hey Luke, thanks for adding your insight into quality control, always good to have a professional's perspective. So if quality in this sense is defined by each individual's personal preferences, resulting in an indefinite range of "good quality" vs. "poor quality" for the very same product, what else is a company to do other than to sell their product and take it back from those who are not pleased with it? To me, this would define the quality of customer support (rather than of the product) and has been done in this case.
    Hi Rainer:

You are right. Customer support is one component of quality. Companies that strive for excellence also include greater customer support and service, and will do what it takes to satisfy the customer, even though the customer might not be right. They might lose money on that one sale in the short run but on the long run will have gained a loyal customer that keeps coming back.

Your friend Luke

I was at HMS yesterday (dealing with a Ratio tuner problem) and saw two of the Pono oval mango tenor models and took a close look at them. Workmanship was impeccable and both played and sounded good. A bargain at $400! The two in the shop sported the "stacked" neck heal and assorted asymmetrical wood figure and, I must say, were very attractive to my eye. I felt like buying one but I bought three ukuleles this month so I had to slap myself a couple times and step away. Incidentally, HMS customer service is top tier. The Ratio tuner failures on my Kala Koa Elite were not their fault but they (Cory) were extremely fast in fixing the problem—overnight upgrade to Gotoh UPTs.

Can you say ... NORDSTROM? ... and HMS?

Even with all the “digital competition” allegedly contributing to the demise of other long-established retailers, Nordstrom’s profits and stock value continue to grow.

You are right. Customer support is one component of quality. Companies that strive for excellence also include greater customer support and service, and will do what it takes to satisfy the customer, even though the customer might not be right. They might lose money on that one sale in the short run but on the long run will have gained a loyal customer that keeps coming back.

I apologize for a negative experience Ken. As you know, we’re trying our best to make everyone happy. In your email to me you detailed why you thought it was defective and not happy. I didn’t see anything about you wanting a replacement, which is why my only reply to you was,

“Those aren't stains or defects, but just aspects of the wood natural to it. Wood has all kinds of variety and it doesn't make it defective. But I'll have Veronica send you a return label and we'll refund you in full.“

I hope that was done and you were refunded in full including shipping costs, and again, I apologize for the hassle that it was for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Jim View Post
    I've looked at this on my phone, then checked on my computer to make the pictures larger. I feel like I can't be reading this right, but you're never ever going to recommend Pono again because wood is stripey and a vendor annoyed you? Mountain, meet molehill.

Well stated

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKuker View Post
    I apologize for a negative experience Ken. As you know, we’re trying our best to make everyone happy. In your email to me you detailed why you thought it was defective and not happy. I didn’t see anything about you wanting a replacement, which is why my only reply to you was,

“Those aren't stains or defects, but just aspects of the wood natural to it. Wood has all kinds of variety and it doesn't make it defective. But I'll have Veronica send you a return label and we'll refund you in full.“

I hope that was done and you were refunded in full including shipping costs, and again, I apologize for the hassle that it was for you.
    Seems like good customer service to me. Really struggling to see the issue here now.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Looks fine to me, who looks at the neck when playing? But then again these are expensive instruments...
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

A bit late in replying here, but I don't see the issue here - given that we're talking about a $400 instrument. At a higher price point (>$1500?) I would expect more attention to the wood grain matching. But at this price, looks fine to me.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Thread Information