Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why I Can No Longer Recommend Pono Ukuleles

Visually that neck and wood looks fine. Wood is wood, and it is OK to show some variation. If the sound is "an excellent deep, warm and mellow voice", then frankly I for one would be be quite happy with this instrument.

To me, variations in wood -- stripes, coloration, etc -- add to the character of an instrument, so long as those variations do not adversely affect sound & playability. However -- to each his (or her) own tastes and preferences.

It seems, Ken, like you really just wanted an exchange for a different uke. I know you said in your first thread that you told the vendor you wanted an exchange or refund, and he only gave you the refund option. I can't help wondering, did you try telling them that you just wanted to exchange it for a different instrument? I would want pics of any uke I'm ordering before it was sent, cuz, well, I'm fussy, lol. Sound is the critical thing, but I'm a sucker for a pretty top. I can't see bashing Pono for something that would be acceptable to many. If you don't get pics you're kind of taking a chance that you won't like the looks for one reason or another.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Oh, and if I was your niece I would have been thrilled with this gift.

Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Hi Ken - this is a random first post on this forum (hi everyone), but looks like I picked up this uke on the HMS Reverb site a few weeks ago. I was scanning this form for information on another pono (cedar top) today and came across this post. The uke described sounded like the one I bought - I came home and checked and, indeed, the uke was mine. I never noticed it before, and now that I see it, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm a violinist first, and the two violins I own are 102 and 66 yrs old, so I guess I'm used to cosmetic issues.

You were right about the sound - the voice is mellow, velvety and rich and is opening up the more I play. I love the instrument and very happy to own it. Thanks, I guess, for returning it!

Quote Originally Posted by DonRikkles View Post
    Hi Ken - this is a random first post on this forum (hi everyone), but looks like I picked up this uke on the HMS Reverb site a few weeks ago. I was scanning this form for information on another pono (cedar top) today and came across this post. The uke described sounded like the one I bought - I came home and checked and, indeed, the uke was mine. I never noticed it before, and now that I see it, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm a violinist first, and the two violins I own are 102 and 66 yrs old, so I guess I'm used to cosmetic issues.

You were right about the sound - the voice is mellow, velvety and rich and is opening up the more I play. I love the instrument and very happy to own it. Thanks, I guess, for returning it!
    A happy ending! Kudos to HMS!

Another reason you shouldn't spend hundreds on something without seeing it first.

I'm genuinely mystified why people recommend buying musical instruments online. I'd only ever buy an instrument unseen unless it was so cheap I didn't mind losing the money.

Quote Originally Posted by chris667 View Post
    Another reason you shouldn't spend hundreds on something without seeing it first.

I'm genuinely mystified why people recommend buying musical instruments online. I'd only ever buy an instrument unseen unless it was so cheap I didn't mind losing the money.
    Oh how it would be lovely to always try an instrument before buying it. Unfortunately, for many people that just isn't an option. I would have to visit a foreign country to be able to try any high-end uke before buying. Maybe you disagree but for me it's a bit more cost-effective to buy online.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Oh how it would be lovely to always try an instrument before buying it. Unfortunately, for many people that just isn't an option. I would have to visit a foreign country to be able to try any high-end uke before buying. Maybe you disagree but for me it's a bit more cost-effective to buy online.
    Not at all! You don't have to justify yourself to me or anyone else here.

I wouldn't do it. But I'm not you.

My best ukulele came from Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by DonRikkles View Post

Congrats to you, DonRikkles! I love Pono! I have two sopranos, and was waiting for the right Pono acacia tenor to pop up. But then I went and purchased a Kanile'a, my first Hawaiian uke. I still want that Pono tenor, though!

Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Thread Information