Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking for a friend...

Default Asking for a friend...

OK, All U brother pluckers and sister pickers in the Ubass universe:

Can a less than 25" scale acoustic bass (modified Epi-guitar) be classified as a mega-long scale big body acoustic Ubass?

Asking for a friend...

personally, I'd say no. U-Bass should be 21" scale or less. But feel free to disagree.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Haha...I guess you can call it whatever you want.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

After a little GOOGLE searching, I just discovered the Ohana OBU-22. Looks like they are marketing a 24.5" scale travel bass as a ubass. My friend can now direct the uke purists where to go. Thanks.

I have 28 basses, acoustic and solid body from 21" to 25" scale. If it has an under saddle piezo pickup and poly strings, acoustic or solid body, I call it a bass uke. I also have used steel flatwounds on some of my solid body and one acoustic with piezo, I call those modified bass ukes. The solid body with magnetic pickups on which I only use flatwound steel string, either already a bass, or a guitar that I converted to bass, I call mini electric bass.

Hi Mike, Glad you chimed in. The universe of ubass seems to be in a nebulous flux. In order to make the lower range notes audible on an acoustic bass instrument, the body has to be bigger but that seems to evoke some size envy among the players endowed with smaller instruments. So, the name for my tool is the acoustic mega-ubass. Oops, I meant my friend's tool. An electric mega-ubass will follow. (Under 25" scale for the purists among us.)
    Last edited by Dr.Ukenstein; 12-04-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

It's all marketing.
    Everything else is personal opinion and some unholy intersection of scale-length, body size, and string types. IMHO, if people point at it and ask "is that a uke" then it's a uke-bass. If they point at it and ask "is that a guitar" then it's an ABG. If they point at it and ask "is that a violin" then their opinion is irrelevant (and it's a uke-bass )

For what it's worth, U•Bass® is a registered trademark, so only Kalas are U•Basses®. Kala's California fivers have a 23.5" scale length.

If you haven't seen them yet, there are several threads on talkbass.com about converting acoustic guitars to guitar-scale basses. It's not clear that there's enough of a size advantage of a guitar-sized body over a uke-sized body that you'll be heard over a herd of ukes without amplification, but I won't argue over the cool-factor of a DIY job.
    Last edited by Arcy; 12-04-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: forum mangled my unicode

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    ...It's not clear that there's enough of a size advantage of a guitar-sized body over a uke-sized body that you'll be heard over a herd of ukes without amplification...[/LEFT]
    The only time I play my acoustic bass ukes without an amp is when I practice at home in front of computer preparing arrangements. I always use an amp when I play with anyone.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks, I especially like "For What It's Worth". So, B'uke it is.

My sonic preference for bass is round wound strings. So, I have to build my own creations from past parts. Hence, my moniker from our brother plucker librarian in the Florida Keys.

With the onset of winter and the arrival of the Northern uker migration, one of the snowbirds insisted that I turn my amp off. Yes, there is an acoustic requirement where we practice. The local inhabitants have a little looser enforcement consciousness.

So, my challenge was to create a bass uke that can be heard without electric amplification. And, have a set of round wound strings to give it that special sustain, ring, and punch that flat wounds or nylon do not deliver. Thus, the mega-B'uke came to life.

The ladies who want to hear the bottom line surround me closely which is fine with me. Really fine. For what it's worth.

What's that sound? It's the sweet ring of round wound strings.

P.S. - I am adding that Buffalo Springfield song to my uke repertoire. Thanks, again. So much!

I just bought this tiny Washburn Rover guitar with 23 3/4" scale and 1 11/16" nut with the idea of turning it into a 4-string something. Maybe baritone uke. Maybe tenor guitar..maybe a bass?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

Thread Information