Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by old and slow View Post
    I just bought this tiny Washburn Rover guitar with 23 3/4" scale and 1 11/16" nut with the idea of turning it into a 4-string something. Maybe baritone uke. Maybe tenor guitar..maybe a bass?
    Too funny. I have a Rover that I'm trying to sell to fund a donor body for a guitar -> bass conversion. IIRC, the Rover's body is about the size of a thin uke body, so it won't get much unamplified volume as a bass. Mine's also much nicer than I'd want to mod - I'd rather mod something that needs some work anyway rather than taking a perfectly good instrument and Frankensteining it (Frank raised an already dead body - he didn't kill it himself!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ukenstein View Post
    TMy sonic preference for bass is round wound strings. So, I have to build my own creations from past parts.
    There are a bunch of U-bass type instruments that come with round wounds. You don't need to build your own for that. Build 'cause bodging your own's a goal in itself (I'm pretty sure you agree ) Even so, I'm kind of tempted by a round-wound strung Kala Journeyman except that I'd prefer a longer scale length (and lower price ).

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Too funny. I have a Rover that I'm trying to sell to fund a donor body for a guitar -> bass conversion. IIRC, the Rover's body is about the size of a thin uke body, so it won't get much unamplified volume as a bass. Mine's also much nicer than I'd want to mod - I'd rather mod something that needs some work anyway rather than taking a perfectly good instrument and Frankensteining it (Frank raised an already dead body - he didn't kill it himself!).
    It really is a nice little guitar with a really solid and sturdy feel to it. I got mine cheap at a pawn shop and it's not going anywhere. It's a keeper for me wether I leave it as is or convert it to four or five string.

I'm a beginner, so feel a little fat fingered with everything except my classical guitar right now. But I really like the little Rover and will probably give it some time before I start cutting and drilling.

I have a couple of acoustic-electric guitars that I'm going to sell. They're just too nice for me to use without worrying about dinging them up.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

There are a bunch of U-bass type instruments that come with round wounds. You don't need to build your own for that. Build 'cause bodging your own's a goal in itself (I'm pretty sure you agree ) Even so, I'm kind of tempted by a round-wound strung Kala Journeyman except that I'd prefer a longer scale length (and lower price ).
    Arcy, I should have specified that my need is to use STAINLESS STEEL round wound strings. Oops. Other than a company called Big Island, I have not been able to find an off the shelf bass uke set up with stainless steel round wound strings and a magnetic pick-up. I agree the Rover will not deliver much acoustic volume converted to bass. Probably on the acoustic side, body size is the major factor. Thanks!

I went ahead and converted the Rover to 4-string. Buggered up the nut a little, but made it work and got everything set at the right height.
    I love the 1 11/16" nut for a 4-string setup.

Initially, had set it up wide at the bridge, bass-like, for plucking.
    But decided you were right about the small body's volume potential...and I didn't have any base strings handy.

Ended up narrowing the string spacing at the bridge to better facilitate picking and strumming. And it's currently set up like a tenor guitar of sorts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old and slow; 12-08-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

O & S, You made a good move going to the tenor vs. bass set-up. I played my acoustic mega-B'uke at a library function and was barely heard. This evening, I drilled a hole that holds a vocal mike and dropped it in. Works pretty well with the treble tone turned way back to avoid feedback. Vocal mikes are not verboten in the acoustic audio enforcement realm. Will post a pic later if there is interest. Thanks.

O & S, You made a good move going to the tenor vs. bass set-up. I played my acoustic mega-B'uke at a library function and was barely heard. This evening, I drilled a hole that holds a vocal mike and dropped it in. Works pretty well with the treble tone turned way back to avoid feedback. Vocal mikes are not verboten in the acoustic audio enforcement realm. Will post a pic later if there is interest. Thanks.
    Thanks. I think you're right. There'll be a better opportunity for bass building somewhere down the line. I'm in no rush.
    I've got an idea for a semi-hollow body electric made from a (semi)hollowed out log, with the top routed out for a neck through. There will be lots of drilling of holes in that one. Think I'll fire up the chainsaw and cut the body blank tonight.

And yes. Please do post a pic!
    Last edited by old and slow; 12-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.

OK, O&S, Here goes:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Willie Nelson will be proud. A truly holey instrument.

I am using short bursts of info because the wind is disrupting my AT&T I-Net connection. I removed the mike as my solid body bass sounds so much better. A trip to The Florida Keys Northernmost Ukulele Society facebook page will provide a sound bite of the solid body b'uke. The acoustic is now my practice instrument to attempt to sing with and play along with the computer.

OK, O&S, Here goes:
    LOL! I haven't cut any big holes yet. Just abused a few saddles and nuts so far. But that's something I'm aspiring towards!

Thread Information