Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warmer sounding tonewoods for top?

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    It's hard to generalize—as individual designs can make a big difference—but to my ears the all mango and mahogany ukuleles tend have the warmest timbres. Spruce and cedar tops tend to lean toward the brighter side.
    I agree, especially with mahogany. To my ear, cedar has more warmth than spruce but it’s a dry warmth, even a bit scratchy. Mahogany, otoh, seems to have a nice comfortable warmth to my ear, like a nice sweater.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Think I'd choose all solid mango...for myself. Been looking at these from Big Island.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

I agree. My solid mango tenor is very warm and mellow. You can fine tune that with brighter or warmer fluorocarbon strings.

The solid mango Pono tenor is warmer than my other Pono tenors of: all-acacia; cedar/ebony; spruce/rosewood & cedar/mahogany.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

There is a video somewhere on YT, where a brunch of pro ukers try out ponos with different tops.
    That way the build difference should be covered.

Is believe that there is consensus that spruce is brigther than cedar. And hence supposedly less warm.
    But how cedar compares to mango, koa and Mahogany is another story.

To me it sounds like cedar is brigther than mango which is brigther that Mahogany. Where to place koa is a bit more difficult, since it both has some bright and some mellow qualities.

But perhaps I am mistaken in how I define brightness.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by CYN View Post
    Would like opinions on which woods would sound warmer, deeper for a ukulele . Not a fan of bright sounding ukuleles and would like something with a less traditional ukulele sound, more lower end guitar like.
    I think makers rather than tonewoods will make a bigger difference. If you're looking for recommendations, Romero Creations come to mind. You can hear their classical guitar roots in their ukuleles. They have some made of mango, which, like others have said, is pretty warm sounding. I haven't played their Grand Tenor, but I would imagine that would be one of their warmest and deepest models. Their grand series have very deep (literally) bodies.

I'd also suggest taking a look at the Rebel tenors; Mim and HMS have new stock. Not quite as guitar-like as the Romeros, but the Rebels seem to me very rich sounding in general, and the tenors are probably their deepest and warmest models.

Edit: Repost.

Thread Information