Buying my first... help!

I really appreciate it Rakelele! I figured that intonation issue in that video to be coincidental, but wanted to make sure... and yes great news on getting my wife's permission to get what I really want.

But... now I'm stuck researching the $1000-1500 ukes and I cannot stop looking at/listening to the aNueNue's. They definitely don't represent "traditonal" like I said I was after in the previous post regarding my lack of interest in the KoAloha's, but they sound awesome. And apparently there's a Cedar top version out there, and I've read good things about cedar.

Here are the videos I keep going back to:
aNueNue: https://youtu.be/PdarEuIaLpc
Rebel Mango: https://vimeo.com/375376796
aNueNue Cedar Bird: https://vimeo.com/372134790
aNueNue Koa: https://vimeo.com/369594701
Kanile'a K-1 T DLX: https://vimeo.com/363912931

To be honest, I really like the looks of the Gotoh UPT tuners... actually kind of had my heart set on them before anything else. I also feel like all of those sound better (to my ears) than the entry level K brand ukes I've listened to. Those aNueNue almost don't sound like ukuleles, they sound more like very clear Spanish classical guitars or something. They sound amazing. And that Rebel is super buttery and smooth. Ugh. But the Kanile'a obviously has the traditional sound that you can't deny.

Would it be blasphemy to get to this point and get a brand that didn't start with a K, lol!?

I'm starting to see how UAS develops. I'm doomed. Don't tell my wife.

C

Congrats on getting free reign! It's almost harder to have that and use it wisely, eh?! As I said before, you sound like me. When I first started my uke journey, I discovered the Kanilea Islands series that has the hawaiian islands sand inlay on the body and sand inlays up the fretboard and the logo on the head. I was (and still am) enamoured by it! I thought it looked so pretty and so unique. It was my ultimate "one day when I'm good enough to deserve it" uke! That was several years ago now. Now this year as i've really started learing to play finally, I've still oogled the Kanileas and really been digging the Anuenue birds. I'm just not a fan of spruce tops. But when I first heard Corey play that Koa Anuenue soprano in that first video you linked..I was like woah! So that may be my ultimate upgrade now! We shall see! But! Having touched, played, and felt the different brands finally in person...I loved the Koaloha much more than the Kanilea. So while aethetics certainly matter..especially at that price point...even just the feel in your hands can really make a big difference. Like others have suggested, try finding clubs to check out variety..or make a short road trip to a place with more options if possible. It was 100% worth it to do so!

(Side note, the head on the Rebel is only slightly less exaggerated than the head on Koaloha...but I like both...so...!)

The type of tuner should not a big criterion for uke purchase, as they can be replaced easily. Kanile'a also has a lot of customization options, and the UPTs may be optional anyway if you order directly from them. What really impressed me are their new slotheads with the stealth tuners, they seem to kick up the sound by another notch. I am a bit confused that earlier you stated that you like a traditional look, to the extent that you exclude KoAlohas, yet you are drawn to the Anuenue that to me have a very distinct Chinese design and almost don't look like ukes.

It is possible that Anuenue also makes the Kanile'a Islanders and uses their bracing design, but it's a few weeks that I checked that out and not 100% sure.

It's primarily the sound of the aNueNue's. Again, I'm not much into spruce, etc. I do much prefer the Kanile'a design. I, too, like the slot head design, but they're quite a bit more expensive. I also realize I can upgrade the tuners, no worries there.

colinondrums, I bought a Kanile'a koa concert some years ago and then a Kamaka koa tenor. I wanted to know the "Hawaiian sound". I'm glad I did mostly for learning a little about tone/sound, but also because their resale value (if I choose to sell one someday) seems to hold up well. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new Romero concert (sort of tenor body and concert scale) which I love and is my favorite. However, I would have always wondered if this is the way they "should" sound even if I happened to like its sound/tone/resonance.

I realize that what one hears and likes is a personal thing, but for a first ukulele, if you can afford it, I would go Hawaiian k-brand.

It's primarily the sound of the aNueNue's. Again, I'm not much into spruce, etc. I do much prefer the Kanile'a design. I, too, like the slot head design, but they're quite a bit more expensive. I also realize I can upgrade the tuners, no worries there.

You have to take the sound you hear on videos with a HUGE grain of salt. The HMS videos have professional players and recording equipment and editing (sometimes I think I hear some reverb) that provide an experience that can be quite far removed from what you will hear in reality. I find that the ukes in all their videos just sound fantastic. Hopefully the minute differences between instruments that we may or may not hear are real and reflect the actual differences between the ukes. I certainly can't play like that and when I have opportunity to try and compare various instruments myself inevitably am disappointed that I can't make even the most high end ukes sound like in one of the videos. But I also can find out what feels and sounds good for me, and differences between instruments and brands are noticeable. A video is no substitute for trying it out yourself. I own a KoAloha, a Kamaka, and a luthier built uke so am quite fortunate to have instruments way beyond my skill level, and I sure enjoy them every day. For me the Hawaiian built koa ukes have something special, that can can not be reflected in spec sheets, and after going to all the factory tours on Oahu it is so interesting to see and hear the different philosophies that drive these family businesses. I love the K brands also because I know how they are built and who builds them.

Last edited:
On the flip side, don't go into analysis paralysis. Ukuleles are ukuleles. We make all this fuss over tone woods and about the need of seeing the ukuleles in person. However, the difference between a warm or bright ukulele is the difference between listening to something on the stereo with the treble set to "4" versus "6"; not such a big deal--albeit noticeable if that's what you focus on. So just get an excellent ukulele from an excellent seller, and you'll be good to go.

You have to take the sound you hear on videos with a HUGE grain of salt. The HMS videos have professional players and recording equipment and editing (sometimes I think I hear some reverb) that provide an experience that can be quite far removed from what you will hear in reality. I find that the ukes in all their videos just sound fantastic. Hopefully the minute differences between instruments that we may or may not hear are real and reflect the actual differences between the ukes. I certainly can't play like that and when I have opportunity to try and compare various instruments myself inevitably am disappointed that I can't make even the most high end ukes sound like in one of the videos. But I also can find out what feels and sounds good for me, and differences between instruments and brands are noticeable. A video is no substitute for trying it out yourself. I own a KoAloha, a Kamaka, and a luthier built uke so am quite fortunate to have instruments way beyond my skill level, and I sure enjoy them every day. For me the Hawaiian built koa ukes have something special, that can can not be reflected in spec sheets, and after going to all the factory tours on Oahu it is so interesting to see and hear the different philosophies that drive these family businesses. I love the K brands also because I know how they are built and who builds them.

I couldn't agree more, no matter what I don't play like that. I have also heard reverb from time to time and any instrument will sound different acoustic vs. recorded. But you can still notice differences regardless of how you're hearing it and who is playing it... but I absolutely know what you mean.

I couldn't agree more, no matter what I don't play like that. I have also heard reverb from time to time and any instrument will sound different acoustic vs. recorded. But you can still notice differences regardless of how you're hearing it and who is playing it... but I absolutely know what you mean.

You're absolutely right. At this point I'm just taking my time checking the different retailers daily to find one that looks like it should be mine.

You might also want to check out Mele Ukuleles. I love my Mele.

https://meleukulele.com/

I'll echo a few others when I say that the sound and playability of Koaloha Opios is great. The main reason I don't own one is because I think the headstock and sound hole look tacky.

Colinondrums, I think all of your choices are excellent tenor ukuleles. It's pretty obvious that you are just beginning your journey to find your favorite ukulele.

I think that of the K-brand, all-koa ukuleles will serve you very well. The Kanile'a will give you a fine base line instrument from which you can explore other options. I think it is the closest you will find to the Ko'Aloha sound that isn't a Ko'Aloha. I like Worth Browns and Living Waters strings on my K-1Ts.

From there you can go to the various wood combinations configurations and makers.

Having that base for comparison will put you in good stead for future instruments.

Good luck. And most of all: have fun.

"just get what you want,"

OMG if I heard this, I would think I had died and gone to heaven....I might even go into shock.

Lucky you!

"just get what you want,"

OMG if I heard this, I would think I had died and gone to heaven....I might even go into shock.

Lucky you!

Lol, right!? But it almost makes it even harder... of course she means within reason, but still.

I wonder what she meant by within reason?

MY wife just gave me the money to get a new uke for Christmas. The amount's the only limit.

She told me what she wanted. Almost scared me half to death....I suggested something else....

I love my Pono. You will be very happy with one. Inexpensive enough to keep as your gig ukulele / second ukulele if you decide to stick with it and get a more expensive ukulele.
NOTE: My Pono is an early Koa model that they do not make anymore. I have heard from the owners of Pono/Ko`olau when I took it to their shop for a visit to NEVER SELL mine. It's a good one. But the point is, it is good enough that I have not been compelled to buy a Kanile`a or a Kamaka, I just don't need one.

I do have a very nice Compass Rose ukulele as well.

I would say though, for your first, you can't go wrong with a Pono, or a Kanile'a, or a Kamaka.
You can also buy a used instrument and save some $.

Oh, and I love The Rebel ukuleles. I have played several of them. Totally worth it.

Last edited:
Kaniel'a.jpg

I agree with most of the posters on this thread and involving your wife in the learning process is an important step. If you love the uke, chances are as a musician you will end up doing what we all do, start out with a first purchase and play that for six months then realize as you become more accomplished in your technique, that the sound the construction and tone and sustain should be better. You'll soon have a family of ukes until you reach the ultimate Kaniel'a and in all likelihhood that will be your go to uke from now till the end of time. It happened to me and don't regret it one bit as this will serve me well till death do us apart:cool:

Hawaiiguy, What a beautiful instrument you have there! Kanilea does make some supremely gorgeous ukes! There is no doubt about that! I love that Island series...it's the first uke I fell for. Maybe one day I'll still end up with one ;)

If you can somehow get a Kanilea, please go for it. You really won't be disappointed. It completely cured my UAS a year ago when I bought my Tenor from HMS.

I have a bunch of other ukes, but end up playing them for a couple minutes then it's right back to the Kanilea. I find that some ukes are beautiful, but don't sound as good as you'd like or just the opposite, but I feel like Kanilea nails the perfect match in that price range.

What I did is went on theukulelesite.com, ran the Affirm credit check and ended up paying like $90 a month for one of my dream ukes. Small price to pay for something I'll never get rid of.

You might also want to check out Mele Ukuleles. I love my Mele.

https://meleukulele.com/

I'll echo a few others when I say that the sound and playability of Koaloha Opios is great. The main reason I don't own one is because I think the headstock and sound hole look tacky.

I have both a Mele and an Opio. I consider those as my top two great sounding ukes out of the fifteen or so that I have.

I'm really interested to hear what you decided in the end.

Still trying to decide, kind of just waiting for "the one" to be listed on HMS. I'm torn between The Rebel Mango Tenor, Rebel Particle, aNueNue Koa, aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor, Kanile'a K-1 DLX.

Unfortunately, most of those are out of stock on HMS, but I'm really sold on their setup process.

Is it worth it? One of the sellers on Reverb tried to tell me their setups void the warranty. He sends them stock from the factory after an inspection, which sucks because he has a BEAUTIFUL K-1 DLX I keep looking at. Anyone know if that's true?

How does Mim's setup process compare to HMS? There's a Moon Bird on reverb, but the retailer is in China... I don't trust it. World of Ukes also has one but it ships from UK and more expensive as a result. Also, the guys at HMS tell me, although amazing, the Moon Bird isn't a very traditional uke sound. Kinda leaning something more traditional at first.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom