Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying my first... help!

Quote Originally Posted by colinondrums View Post
    Haha, I don't know anything! And we're looking for a uke for me before her lol!

I made her read this entire forum post to me out loud today and many of everyone's arguments may have gotten her to come around to the Kanile'a. I made her listen to audio samples of others I'm considering, too. She noticed a difference. Called the less expensive models "harsh" and agreed that I'll still end up wanting a K-1.

It's not that we can't afford the K-1, it's really more just principle that I don't play ukulele and there are more responsible things we could do with that money..... but, I want a Kanile'a.

I've presented my case and given her the options. We shall see.
    You're welcome. Treat your wife well, and I'll do the same on my end. Some of us on this thread need some good karma. I, for one, think the chink in my armor is my crappy Kala baritone which I use as my junker. I need a $10000 Jay Lichty custom baritone. Send prayers my way.

Went over and looked at the KoAloha Opio concert. $1065. But that headstock is attrocious. All those points. Is that supposed to resemble a pineapple? And ovaloid soundhole, a bit disturbing...

Quote Originally Posted by tolona View Post
    Went over and looked at the KoAloha Opio concert. $1065. But that headstock is attrocious. All those points. Is that supposed to resemble a pineapple? And ovaloid soundhole, a bit disturbing...
    I actually do find the ovaloid sound hole kind of cool, but I really don't like the headstock. Such a dumb thing to get caught up on because I do think I might like the sound of the KoAloha the best. Unfortunately, I'm not able to hear or play any of them in person unless I head to Hawaii

One more question for you all... how is the intonation on the Kanile's? I'd expect it to be great, but I'm asking because of this video. The K-1 is out of tune up high at 1:40. Is that just because he was out of tune or do they have intonation issues? That is worrisome to me:
    https://youtu.be/01YJi1noKKQ

To me the Kanile'a and Kamaka sound identical. The KoAloha sounds warmer and slightly deeper... more robust.
    Last edited by colinondrums; 12-04-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Just a dumb notion in light of no good music store near you: Is there an ukulele club in your area? There is bound to be someone with a koaloha, pono, martin or kanilea in every larger group, methinks. I am sure you will be able to take a look at the instruments there and probably also be able to play-test some, in addition to getting personal advice. (and usually you don' even have to bring an instrument, you can likely borrow one and strum away with everybody as well)
    ( o ) == ::

Your Wife has the ear to quality.

Buy two Kanile’a ukes
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

There are two schools of thought I always follow when recommending a first uke. Always buy a quality ukulele from a dedicated ukulele store that does a proper set up. HMS, Uke Republic, Mims to name a few are all great, they only sell quality and their set ups are excellent.

Second thought is evolution of the player and the tone they prefer. I have listened to a million videos, they will give you an idea but until you play it for yourself you really won’t know. As a musician you understand that tone from a players perspective is everything. So do you drop $1200 or more on a Kanilea never having played one in the hopes you will love it. Do you instead get a quality instrument in the $500 range as a test and learning vehicle. Then when you know what you like and dislike about the tone, neck profile, playability etc. you can go hunting for the “one”. Your tastes will become refined and change.

But if you can afford it and are in love with the Kanilea by all means buy it. You will certainly enjoy it and can always explore different makes in the future
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-05-2019 at 01:59 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Perhaps a LoPrinzi might suit you. http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/

And have you been to https://musicfolk.com/ ?

Music Folk
    8015 Big Bend
    St. Louis, MO 63119
    Telephone 800-892-2970

If you are patient, used Kanile'a tenors come up for sale this time of year and ones in excellent to mint condition go for less than $800 plus shipping. Look at Reverb and other sites and certainly check the UU Marketplace here as well as Fleamarketmusic marketplace. Elderly has them from time to time as well as others.

Are you looking for one with a pickup? That will add $150-ish.

I like Kanile'a tenors a lot. Good luck with your search.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I see you are in Missouri. You might contact Butler Music in (where else?) Butler, MO to see what they have.

-Wiggy

Quote Originally Posted by colinondrums View Post
    I actually do find the ovaloid sound hole kind of cool, but I really don't like the headstock. Such a dumb thing to get caught up on because I do think I might like the sound of the KoAloha the best. Unfortunately, I'm not able to hear or play any of them in person unless I head to Hawaii
    Haha, I had to check and you're about an 8-11 hour drive from Elderly, Uke Republic and Mim's. Me, I'm more like a 36-43 hour drive away, so cheer up, things could be worse!
    Glenn

Thread Information