Buying my first... help!

colinondrums

Reaction score
Hello friends... So, I'm in the market for my first ukulele. Fun stuff. Well, I've since found myself trapped in a blackhole of research. Honestly, I had no clue there were so many options and now I'm overwhelmed.

A little about me. I'm a drummer and a guitarist and candidly I'm addicted to good gear. That said, I've never bought a uke, but a buddy at work has a cheap soprano in his office that I've noodled on for months and it's addicting so it's time. I'm getting one... A tenor.

I'm definitely not a ukulele player, but I just don't see the sense in buying a "starter" instrument when I know I'll want to upgrade in two months.

So, I embarked upon my research journey and decided quickly I wanted one of the K's. Specifically, a Kanile'a K-1. Pretty simple. The KoAloha probably sounds better, but I just don't like the headstock and the Kamaka seems a little too boring... or the ANueNue Moonbird, but I don't feel like a spruce top screams ukulele.

Regardless, my wife laughed at me. Apparently spending $1,200 on an instrument I don't play isn't allowed. Lol

Anyway, I've since been selling myself (and her) down to something more realistic. As follows:

*The Rebel, Double Creme - It just looks amazing, I mean a Triforce in the soundhole. Gotoh UPT tuners, noice. Sweet headstock and logo/inlays. Beautiful finish and the video on HMS really just sells it. That video makes it sound amazing... but $939.00, still too expensive. And maybe quiet based on what I've read?
*Kanile'a OHA T - I mean it's a Kanile'a, right? $795, stretching it.
*KoAloha Opio KTO-10 - Sounds great, but that headstock. $655, getting closer.
*Pono (AT, ATD, MT, MTD, MG or MGT) - Very nice instruments, excellent build quality, great sound per the videos on HMS. $399-$499, really where I should be.
*Ohana TK-350G - Gorgeous instrument. Solid Koa. Limited edition. Value. $639 from Mim, doable. What am I missing? Why doesn't HMS sell them? Seems too good to be true.
*Romero Creations - Seems like solid instruments, but haven't done a ton of research. Seems within budget.
*Eastman - I don't know enough but they're in play price-wise.
*Snail (SR04-TE or SUT-M3) - Up and coming company. Alex from Southern Ukulele Store swears by them (but he's a salesperson). A lot of premium features for less... but I have 6-driver custom-mold in-ears and I've listened to a lot of audio samples and haven't been impressed although audio production from HMS is far superior to Southern Ukulele Store in their videos. Maybe the videos I heard aren't doing the Snails justice? Regardless, $300-500 depending on the model.

I just know I don't want Kala, no real reason, I just feel like when there are a million models to choose from they're likely highly mass produced and less attention to detail.

But that's where I'm at. Ideally, my wife would like me to be in the $400-600 range, but I might be able to squeeze a bit more out with the right argument.... but with that in mind, I've really been leaning Pono... but that Ohana is really pretty and it's solid Koa.

I just don't know. What would you do? I know Pono's have thicker necks, but I play a Les Paul Standard and I have large hands, doesn't bother me.

For me it's probably:
1) Sound Quality (mellow/warm Hawaiian sound)
2) Craftsmanship
3) Looks - I like medium colored woods (Koa, Acacia, Mango)

What would you do? If you could choose anything under $1000...? What about if you had to stay between $400-700?

Colin

Last edited:
KoAloha Opio - my UAS stopped when I got my long neck concert acacia.

I have several Ohana solid mahogany ukes in my collection, & consider them really good value, with great tone.

(I use Living Water low G concert fluorocarbon strings on most of my ukes.)

You asked what I would do. I would do whatever I had to do, make whatever compromise I had to make, in order to get my Kanilea.

To get my Kamaka, I had to lose 25 pounds and get healthier. For my custom ukulele, my deal with the wife was to siphon $20 off every paycheck to save for my uke. The last thing I would do is settle for a $600 uke. If you are like me...then that will just be $600 wasted because you'll spend the $600, not be satisfied, and ultimately buy the $1200 ukulele you wanted in the first place. In that case you will have spent $1800 to get your $1200 ukulele.

So I would respect the pecuniary and fiduciary element of my partnership with the wife and make a sane plan to acquire the ukulele that is acceptable to all parties involved.

Well you have certainly done the deep dive into research and choices, it can be overwhelming. Warm mellow tone with medium coloured wood. Pono tenor in either mahogany or mango in the $400-$700 range, that all koa Ohana from Mims would be a keeper too.

Under $1000.00 either the Rebel or the Kanilea, seeing as you don’t like the Koaloha headstock. But I would take Koaloha for the tone, although that’s a personal preference

Here is the TRUTH, this will not be your only ukulele. You are a musician and self proclaimed good gear junky. Buy something good $400-$700 to start knowing full well once up to speed you will buy again........more then once

Last edited:
I think your initial approach is the right one: Buy a high quality instrument in the first place. It will almost certainly save you money in the long run, as you'll always wonder how that Kanilea would have been. So my advice would be to save that extra money and then go for what you really want, the all Koa Kanilea. If that's not an option, then the Kanilea Oha will be extremely close in sound, feel, and looks (except for the wood on the back and sides). Other than that, my personal opinion is that a Pono or a KoAloha Opio are almost as good as the ukes made in Hawaii and therefore offer a great value at a lesser price. However, I feel you regarding that KoAloha headstock, so again, I wouldn't settle for something that you don't find entirely pleasing and instead go for the Kanilea.

Buying a reasonably well priced Uke will NOT save you money in the long run.

You have more than one guitar, right?

You WILL soon acquire more Ukes, it is a simple fact that UAS is rampant and far more serious a condition than GAS.

Onto which uke, a Martin C1K is what I would have on top of my short list in the £500 price range.

Do be careful with buying a Pono, see this thread

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...7-Why-I-Can-No-Longer-Recommend-Pono-Ukuleles

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the feedback, first post here... didn't expect so many responses so quickly. I think you all have fair points, yes, I have 3 electrics, 2 acoustics, a bass, two drum kits, multiple sets of cymbals... gear on gear on gear.

Honestly, I've even bargained with my wife saying I'd sell one of my electrics (PRS SE24, Fender Strat Hotrod Deluxe '57 Reissue, Les Paul Standard) to get the Kanile'a and she says, "I don't want you to have to sell something," but you're all right that it's inevitable that I will always want what I always wanted and get it at some point... then I am indeed in for at least $1,800 as opposed to being in for $1,200 and being content for a long while. Thanks for that argument for my wife! Lol

So then, if that's the case being that it's Christmas time, there was a fair shot at getting a uke ~$600. Not as confident about the K-1... but there are financing options where we could put a significant portion down and pay a small monthly amount to have it paid off in 6 months anyway... so that said, if it's just not in the cards to scoop the Kanile'a now, would you guys do what riprock said above, wait it out and save... which might set my timeline back several months to getting my uke (which let's be honest, I'm probably not going to drop the subject until I get one, lol) or would you just get the $600 uke for xmas and be satisfied for awhile having SOMETHING to play?

And if all the sudden the big boys were in play and I decided I was just going to wait it out, what else besides the K-1, KTM-00 and Kamaka's tenor do you like in that $1,000-$1,500 price range? I kind of stopped looking because I didn't want to get my hopes up.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I came back from a visit to Oahu last week where I had opportunity to visit several stores and go on factory tours. I played dozens of ukes of various brands including newest KoAloha and Kanile'a models. In summary, none of the "alternatives" you listed will come anywhere close to a Kanile'a, and if you get an alternative and play it for a few weeks you will want to get the Kanile'a anyway. By then you may have infected the wife with uke virus and pass the alternative down to her. If that's not likely to happen then talk her into treating you to the one you want for xmas!

Last edited:
I came back from a visit to Oahu last week where I had opportunity to visit several stores and go on factory tours. I played dozens of ukes of various brands including newest KoAloha and Kanile'a models. In summary, none of the "alternatives" you listed will come anywhere close to a Kanile'a, and if you get an alternative and play it for a few weeks you will want to get the Kanile'a anyway. By then you may have infected the wife with uke virus and pass the alternative down to her. If that's not likely to happen then talk her into treating you to the one you want for xmas!

That was one argument I made. She wants to learn an instrument I told her I'd teach her and we'd learn together. Uke is definitely a great instrument to pick up for someone interested in learning an instrument. Would love her to catch the uke virus and be able relate to my obsession with good gear. Maybe, just maybe.

Thanks, Merlin. You're absolutely right!

Good idea about getting your wife involved with playing and learning along with you! This way, you will not only have someone to share your passion with, but you will also inevitably need TWO instruments… So it would be easier to settle for something a little less expensive now and then upgrade in half a year or so. Because let's face it: If you'll have to save money for several months to get that Kanilea somewhere down the road, it will only keep you from learning and playing and enjoying now = waste of time. You should be able to scoop a nice entry level Pono for less $400 USD. This way, you'd have more money left for that second uke you'll "need". Here is a nice Pono MTDX that has the upgraded gloss finish for less than their entry satin finished model (no affiliation to the seller, I was just checking some of my favorite stores for a good deal for you):

https://alohacityukes.com/collections/pono/products/pono-tenor-ukulele-solid-mahogany-mtdx

I like my Martin T1k and it fits into your criteria. It is all solid koa and it is a Martin.

I like my Martin T1k and it fits into your criteria. It is all solid koa and it is a Martin.

Yeah, I've definitely considered it... but I don't know, something is leading me away from it. Kind of my thoughts on the Kala's (though I know there probably isn't a comparison) that there are SO many available for sale that there is less attention to detail. I'm probably wrong, but they feel overproduced to me.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've definitely considered it... but I don't know, something is leading me away from it. Kind of my thoughts on the Kala's (though I know there probably isn't a comparison) that there are SO many available for sale that there is less attention to detail. I'm probably wrong, but they feel overproduced to me.

Thanks!

The Asia-made Kalas are quite generic, but the Kala Elites can be nice and close to one of the K brands. But the price for a Koa model can also be up there ...

I will second the comment in favour of the Martin T1K. I had a chance to try it out in a music shop and it's a beaut, both in looks (depending on the specific wood grain of course) and sound. Since tenors are not for me I didn't buy but I could easily tell that the build quality was excellent. While the cheaper Martins are made in Mexico and not in Pennsylvania they're still way better quality than anything I've seen from the far-eastern produced companies, like Kala as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't be concerned with attention to detail or build quality regarding the Martins, even if they're not on par with the vintage ones or the ones made in Nazareth.

Also, if you're dead set on having a cheaper uke now, my advice would be to go to a music shop with a decent selection and just try some out. Try the far-eastern made brands so you know what you don't like. Try some of the ones mentioned here that you might like. Just browsing the internet can get overwhelming, as you said.

I will second the comment in favour of the Martin T1K. I had a chance to try it out in a music shop and it's a beaut, both in looks (depending on the specific wood grain of course) and sound. Since tenors are not for me I didn't buy but I could easily tell that the build quality was excellent. While the cheaper Martins are made in Mexico and not in Pennsylvania they're still way better quality than anything I've seen from the far-eastern produced companies, like Kala as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't be concerned with attention to detail or build quality regarding the Martins, even if they're not on par with the vintage ones or the ones made in Nazareth.

Also, if you're dead set on having a cheaper uke now, my advice would be to go to a music shop with a decent selection and just try some out. Try the far-eastern made brands so you know what you don't like. Try some of the ones mentioned here that you might like. Just browsing the internet can get overwhelming, as you said.

That's the problem, no music shops with decent ukulele selections around here. Tons of boutique guitar shops but uke selection is limited... or Guitar Center... St. Louis, MO if anyone knows of a place I don't.

And good to hear, I'll give Martin another shot. I absolutely trust that Martin is quality. Just not quite as unique as I was hoping.

Last edited:
Fazio's in Brentwood, I believe

That's the only place I thought of. Good selection?

Update: All Fazio's carries are Luna, Lanikai, Kala and Cordoba. All models under $250. Sweet.

Last edited:
Colin, you already know way more about ukes than I did after playing for two years!

Mim's Ukes can help you pick out a great uke for your wife, she sells more Ohana ukes than any other dealer. She does a great setup, I'm sure you know what that is.

Happy hunting!

Colin, you already know way more about ukes than I did after playing for two years!

Mim's Ukes can help you pick out a great uke for your wife, she sells more Ohana ukes than any other dealer. She does a great setup, I'm sure you know what that is.

Happy hunting!

Haha, I don't know anything! And we're looking for a uke for me before her lol!

I made her read this entire forum post to me out loud today and many of everyone's arguments may have gotten her to come around to the Kanile'a. I made her listen to audio samples of others I'm considering, too. She noticed a difference. Called the less expensive models "harsh" and agreed that I'll still end up wanting a K-1.

It's not that we can't afford the K-1, it's really more just principle that I don't play ukulele and there are more responsible things we could do with that money..... but, I want a Kanile'a.

I've presented my case and given her the options. We shall see.

Top Bottom