Buying my first... help!

Still trying to decide, kind of just waiting for "the one" to be listed on HMS. I'm torn between The Rebel Mango Tenor, Rebel Particle, aNueNue Koa, aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor, Kanile'a K-1 DLX.

Unfortunately, most of those are out of stock on HMS, but I'm really sold on their setup process.

Is it worth it? One of the sellers on Reverb tried to tell me their setups void the warranty. He sends them stock from the factory after an inspection, which sucks because he has a BEAUTIFUL K-1 DLX I keep looking at. Anyone know if that's true?

How does Mim's setup process compare to HMS? There's a Moon Bird on reverb, but the retailer is in China... I don't trust it. World of Ukes also has one but it ships from UK and more expensive as a result. Also, the guys at HMS tell me, although amazing, the Moon Bird isn't a very traditional uke sound. Kinda leaning something more traditional at first.

Thoughts?

I think you might be overthinking it. Any of the ukes you are looking at would be good. I think you might be going over your original budget, though. Am I right?

Setups are a good idea. Don't know about voiding the warranty. You might want to ask HMS about it, but I highly recommend getting a proper setup. I don't know how Mim's compares to HMS, but they both have a good reputation and setups really aren't rocket science. If someone knows what they are doing, you should be fine.

If you want a traditional sound, get a mahogany, koa, or mango instrument. the Moon Bird has a spruce top, so it will probably sound a bit guitarry.

I think you might be overthinking it. Any of the ukes you are looking at would be good. I think you might be going over your original budget, though. Am I right?

Setups are a good idea. Don't know about voiding the warranty. You might want to ask HMS about it, but I highly recommend getting a proper setup. I don't know how Mim's compares to HMS, but they both have a good reputation and setups really aren't rocket science. If someone knows what they are doing, you should be fine.

If you want a traditional sound, get a mahogany, koa, or mango instrument. the Moon Bird has a spruce top, so it will probably sound a bit guitarry.

Overthinking it, yes, but that's who I am lol. Some videos/ukes I watched/reviewed are strung low G (Rebel) and some aren't so it's a bit misleading. A K-1 could be strung low G with better strings and sound as good, if not better than the Rebel. I just want something that sounds amazing and looks amazing. I know they're all good options, but it's a pretty big purchase and I don't want buyers remorse if once I get it I'm not thrilled with the sound. In a perfect world I'd go sit down and play them side-by-side and the decision would be made in about 10 minutes, but I don't have that luxury.

Regarding budget, it changed. My wife told me to get whatever I wanted under ~$1500.

To be honest, I'll probably just get the Kanile'a, but I really like the look of the Gotoh UPTs (I asked HMS about getting them installed on a K-1 and they said I'd be able to see the drill holes from the original tuners). Also, I wish HMS had a deluxe model in stock... I'm not too crazy about the current selection of K-1s, especially if you saw this DLX on reverb, it looks 3D. Lastly, aNueNue... yes, maybe guitarry, but everyone is raving about these. Every review you read people are acting like it's the best they've ever played/heard; hard not to consider.

Too many choices out there(?). Frightened of getting it wrong....

You need to start with a highly recommended cheaper uke until you really know what you are wanting.

Get a Kala cedar top, great ukes, & it will be your 'beater', once you've decided what you really want. :cool:

Also, I wish HMS had a deluxe model in stock... I'm not too crazy about the current selection of K-1s, especially if you saw this DLX on reverb, it looks 3D. Lastly, aNueNue... yes, maybe guitarry, but everyone is raving about these. Every review you read people are acting like it's the best they've ever played/heard; hard not to consider.

For a Kanile'a there's no reason to buy at HMS. Just order from the factory directly and specify the features you want and they have options with different tuners too. Also use their 100 code for discount. And yeah that KCS deluxe model with Gotoh tuners looks great. I tried the 8-string version in their store and it just blew me away, though price is also way up there.

Last edited:
I'm really sold on their setup process.

Is it worth it? One of the sellers on Reverb tried to tell me their setups void the warranty. He sends them stock from the factory after an inspection,

How does Mim's setup process compare to HMS?

Thoughts?

My understanding of "setup" is that it primarily references the height of the G string at the 12th fret, which varies on production ukes from about 2.4mm to 3.0mm. Lower may make fretting easier, but too low may compromise volume and may cause string buzzing. I tend to doubt that there is a magic universal sweet spot, as I once read about accomplished players discussing their personal preference for setup and there was individual variance (one even liked it above 3mm).

My understanding of "setup" is that it primarily references the height of the G string at the 12th fret, which varies on production ukes from about 2.4mm to 3.0mm. Lower may make fretting easier, but too low may compromise volume and may cause string buzzing. I tend to doubt that there is a magic universal sweet spot, as I once read about accomplished players discussing their personal preference for setup and there was individual variance (one even liked it above 3mm).

The Hawaiian K brands provide a perfect setup from the factory, so adjustment is only needed if you require modifications such as different strings or other personal changes. For Asian mass produced ukes this may not be the case, and variability from instrument to instrument is much larger than from brand to brand. I just bought at $85 uke and the setup was perfect, so it really depends. If you buy used then the need for setup is more likely, as previous owners may have mucked around with it.

For a Kanile'a there's no reason to buy at HMS. Just order from the factory directly and specify the features you want and they have options with different tuners too. Also use their 100 code for discount. And yeah that KCS deluxe model with Gotoh tuners looks great. I tried the 8-string version in their store and it just blew me away, though price is also way up there.

What's the coupon code for Kanile'a site? Thanks!

I've watched Mim set up a lot of ukes, and she's a pure pro, extremely picky. I trust her. I'm sure the guys at HMS are very good, too.

I've watched Mim set up a lot of ukes, and she's a pure pro, extremely picky. I trust her. I'm sure the guys at HMS are very good, too.

I have ukes set up by both HMS and Mim. Cant tell the difference. They are both pros.

I have ukes set up by both HMS and Mim. Cant tell the difference. They are both pros.

I think I'm going with The Rebel. Someone talk me out of it.

Not a lot of feedback on it, but it checks all my boxes. Less than$1,000. Warm. KoAloha sound. Gotoh UPTs. Triforce inside. Unique. No one has it... I like it.

What do you guys think. I'm pulling the trigger in the next day or so.

Looks good to me. If you like it, then go for it!

I think I'm going with The Rebel. Someone talk me out of it.

Not a lot of feedback on it, but it checks all my boxes. Less than$1,000.

Not trying to talk you out of it. When I was at HMS they had one hanging with the cheaper ukes and I picked it off the wall not knowing what it was. I was quite impressed with it and really liked it. But I also thought it was a 300 to 400 uke like the others it was hanging with. I think it was a concert and when Corey told me it was 600 something I quickly lost interest. That would put it in the range of Opios which rule in that range IMO.

I haven’t read the entire thread, so I may be repeating what has been said, but here is my logic.

You are new to the ukulele and not certain if you want to delve into it, there fore spend no more than $300, maybe, MAYBE $400. A lot of decent, playable, well sounding instruments available at that price.

You are new to the ukulele BUT you are an experienced string percussionist. You KNOW that you like to play guitar, you are accustomed to playing quality instruments. Spend $1000 to $1500 or more and buy a quality instrument.

Based on your experience, you will notice the difference.

Good luck

I haven’t read the entire thread, so I may be repeating what has been said, but here is my logic.

You are new to the ukulele and not certain if you want to delve into it, there fore spend no more than $300, maybe, MAYBE $400. A lot of decent, playable, well sounding instruments available at that price.

You are new to the ukulele BUT you are an experienced string percussionist. You KNOW that you like to play guitar, you are accustomed to playing quality instruments. Spend $1000 to $1500 or more and buy a quality instrument.

Based on your experience, you will notice the difference.

Good luck

Exactly, my first electric was after a beginner Yamaha acoustic. I bought an American Strat then a Standard Les Paul then a PRS. I'll pick up the uke quickly. And I've technically already been playing for about a year on a garbage soprano.

The message above about the Rebel is concerning. Has anyone played a Rebel Tenor and a K-1? I think the aNueNue is out, can't find them and I've been window shopping for a month.

Thanks.

Please take this in the vain it was given.........it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks or their individual experience with an individual instrument. We are all different, we have different tastes in sound and feel. One of my playing partners likes bright and loud, I like soft and warm. I sold him a custom build tenor I owned for one year that wasn’t doing it for me, it’s his Holy Grail uke. No one can do this for you and all our individual experiences are meaningless. You are talking about $1500 ukuleles so they are all good.

You seem to mention Kanilea in every comparison.........seems you are in love with that make. I think that might answer your question??? :D

Last edited:
Still trying to decide, kind of just waiting for "the one" to be listed on HMS. I'm torn between The Rebel Mango Tenor, Rebel Particle, aNueNue Koa, aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor, Kanile'a K-1 DLX.

Unfortunately, most of those are out of stock on HMS, but I'm really sold on their setup process.

Is it worth it? One of the sellers on Reverb tried to tell me their setups void the warranty. He sends them stock from the factory after an inspection, which sucks because he has a BEAUTIFUL K-1 DLX I keep looking at. Anyone know if that's true?

How does Mim's setup process compare to HMS? There's a Moon Bird on reverb, but the retailer is in China... I don't trust it. World of Ukes also has one but it ships from UK and more expensive as a result. Also, the guys at HMS tell me, although amazing, the Moon Bird isn't a very traditional uke sound. Kinda leaning something more traditional at first.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are you should stay focused. You've been all about the Kanilea, so get your Kanilea. To be honest, I heartily dislike the traditional uke sound and I spend much time and money side-stepping it. But that's me. You're questing on that traditional sound, so don't get distracted.

My thought on warranties is that I would rather have a tech at HMS, or Mim's, or Elderly do the work than reserve the right to pay $50 in shipping to send a uke back to the factory. Therefore I would gladly waive the warranty in lieu of having an actual skilled person do the job. Of course, any such person is going to inspect the uke before he or she sets it up and if there is some flaw in the actual uke, they are going to see it, notify you, and you can return the uke to the factory under warranty.

Order placed. Kanile'a K-1T-DLX.

I don't know the rules on linking listings, but that's the only picture I have right now. Pumped.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!! I guess I knew from the beginning.

...guess I gotta learn ukulele now...

Last edited:
All thumbs up, great move! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Top Bottom