Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying my first... help!

I like my Martin T1k and it fits into your criteria. It is all solid koa and it is a Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoolie View Post
    I like my Martin T1k and it fits into your criteria. It is all solid koa and it is a Martin.
    Yeah, I've definitely considered it... but I don't know, something is leading me away from it. Kind of my thoughts on the Kala's (though I know there probably isn't a comparison) that there are SO many available for sale that there is less attention to detail. I'm probably wrong, but they feel overproduced to me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by colinondrums View Post
    Yeah, I've definitely considered it... but I don't know, something is leading me away from it. Kind of my thoughts on the Kala's (though I know there probably isn't a comparison) that there are SO many available for sale that there is less attention to detail. I'm probably wrong, but they feel overproduced to me.

Thanks!
    The Asia-made Kalas are quite generic, but the Kala Elites can be nice and close to one of the K brands. But the price for a Koa model can also be up there ...

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    To get my Kamaka, I had to lose 25 pounds and get healthier.
    Now that's what I call a win-win: weight loss AND a new ukulele! Great job!

I will second the comment in favour of the Martin T1K. I had a chance to try it out in a music shop and it's a beaut, both in looks (depending on the specific wood grain of course) and sound. Since tenors are not for me I didn't buy but I could easily tell that the build quality was excellent. While the cheaper Martins are made in Mexico and not in Pennsylvania they're still way better quality than anything I've seen from the far-eastern produced companies, like Kala as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't be concerned with attention to detail or build quality regarding the Martins, even if they're not on par with the vintage ones or the ones made in Nazareth.

Also, if you're dead set on having a cheaper uke now, my advice would be to go to a music shop with a decent selection and just try some out. Try the far-eastern made brands so you know what you don't like. Try some of the ones mentioned here that you might like. Just browsing the internet can get overwhelming, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I will second the comment in favour of the Martin T1K. I had a chance to try it out in a music shop and it's a beaut, both in looks (depending on the specific wood grain of course) and sound. Since tenors are not for me I didn't buy but I could easily tell that the build quality was excellent. While the cheaper Martins are made in Mexico and not in Pennsylvania they're still way better quality than anything I've seen from the far-eastern produced companies, like Kala as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't be concerned with attention to detail or build quality regarding the Martins, even if they're not on par with the vintage ones or the ones made in Nazareth.

Also, if you're dead set on having a cheaper uke now, my advice would be to go to a music shop with a decent selection and just try some out. Try the far-eastern made brands so you know what you don't like. Try some of the ones mentioned here that you might like. Just browsing the internet can get overwhelming, as you said.
    That's the problem, no music shops with decent ukulele selections around here. Tons of boutique guitar shops but uke selection is limited... or Guitar Center... St. Louis, MO if anyone knows of a place I don't.

And good to hear, I'll give Martin another shot. I absolutely trust that Martin is quality. Just not quite as unique as I was hoping.
    Last edited by colinondrums; 12-04-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Fazio's in Brentwood, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by mhaggard View Post
    Fazio's in Brentwood, I believe
    That's the only place I thought of. Good selection?

Update: All Fazio's carries are Luna, Lanikai, Kala and Cordoba. All models under $250. Sweet.
    Last edited by colinondrums; 12-04-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Colin, you already know way more about ukes than I did after playing for two years!

Mim's Ukes can help you pick out a great uke for your wife, she sells more Ohana ukes than any other dealer. She does a great setup, I'm sure you know what that is.

Happy hunting!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Colin, you already know way more about ukes than I did after playing for two years!

Mim's Ukes can help you pick out a great uke for your wife, she sells more Ohana ukes than any other dealer. She does a great setup, I'm sure you know what that is.

Happy hunting!
    Haha, I don't know anything! And we're looking for a uke for me before her lol!

I made her read this entire forum post to me out loud today and many of everyone's arguments may have gotten her to come around to the Kanile'a. I made her listen to audio samples of others I'm considering, too. She noticed a difference. Called the less expensive models "harsh" and agreed that I'll still end up wanting a K-1.

It's not that we can't afford the K-1, it's really more just principle that I don't play ukulele and there are more responsible things we could do with that money..... but, I want a Kanile'a.

I've presented my case and given her the options. We shall see.

Thread Information