Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying my first... help!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    "just get what you want,"

OMG if I heard this, I would think I had died and gone to heaven....I might even go into shock.

Lucky you!
    Lol, right!? But it almost makes it even harder... of course she means within reason, but still.

I wonder what she meant by within reason?

MY wife just gave me the money to get a new uke for Christmas. The amount's the only limit.

She told me what she wanted. Almost scared me half to death....I suggested something else....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I love my Pono. You will be very happy with one. Inexpensive enough to keep as your gig ukulele / second ukulele if you decide to stick with it and get a more expensive ukulele.
    NOTE: My Pono is an early Koa model that they do not make anymore. I have heard from the owners of Pono/Ko`olau when I took it to their shop for a visit to NEVER SELL mine. It's a good one. But the point is, it is good enough that I have not been compelled to buy a Kanile`a or a Kamaka, I just don't need one.

I do have a very nice Compass Rose ukulele as well.

I would say though, for your first, you can't go wrong with a Pono, or a Kanile'a, or a Kamaka.
    You can also buy a used instrument and save some $.

Oh, and I love The Rebel ukuleles. I have played several of them. Totally worth it.
    Last edited by Pueo; 12-09-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

If you're in St. Louis...
    https://www.hoffmannlutherie.com/index.html
    These are amazing instruments.
    Ever heard of the Flea Bitten Dawgs?
    http://www.fleabittendawgs.com/index.html
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Kaniel'a.jpg

I agree with most of the posters on this thread and involving your wife in the learning process is an important step. If you love the uke, chances are as a musician you will end up doing what we all do, start out with a first purchase and play that for six months then realize as you become more accomplished in your technique, that the sound the construction and tone and sustain should be better. You'll soon have a family of ukes until you reach the ultimate Kaniel'a and in all likelihhood that will be your go to uke from now till the end of time. It happened to me and don't regret it one bit as this will serve me well till death do us apart

Hawaiiguy, What a beautiful instrument you have there! Kanilea does make some supremely gorgeous ukes! There is no doubt about that! I love that Island series...it's the first uke I fell for. Maybe one day I'll still end up with one

If you can somehow get a Kanilea, please go for it. You really won't be disappointed. It completely cured my UAS a year ago when I bought my Tenor from HMS.

I have a bunch of other ukes, but end up playing them for a couple minutes then it's right back to the Kanilea. I find that some ukes are beautiful, but don't sound as good as you'd like or just the opposite, but I feel like Kanilea nails the perfect match in that price range.

What I did is went on theukulelesite.com, ran the Affirm credit check and ended up paying like $90 a month for one of my dream ukes. Small price to pay for something I'll never get rid of.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    You might also want to check out Mele Ukuleles. I love my Mele.

https://meleukulele.com/

I'll echo a few others when I say that the sound and playability of Koaloha Opios is great. The main reason I don't own one is because I think the headstock and sound hole look tacky.
    I have both a Mele and an Opio. I consider those as my top two great sounding ukes out of the fifteen or so that I have.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Zither Heaven, First Act

I'm really interested to hear what you decided in the end.

Still trying to decide, kind of just waiting for "the one" to be listed on HMS. I'm torn between The Rebel Mango Tenor, Rebel Particle, aNueNue Koa, aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor, Kanile'a K-1 DLX.

Unfortunately, most of those are out of stock on HMS, but I'm really sold on their setup process.

Is it worth it? One of the sellers on Reverb tried to tell me their setups void the warranty. He sends them stock from the factory after an inspection, which sucks because he has a BEAUTIFUL K-1 DLX I keep looking at. Anyone know if that's true?

How does Mim's setup process compare to HMS? There's a Moon Bird on reverb, but the retailer is in China... I don't trust it. World of Ukes also has one but it ships from UK and more expensive as a result. Also, the guys at HMS tell me, although amazing, the Moon Bird isn't a very traditional uke sound. Kinda leaning something more traditional at first.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by colinondrums; 12-17-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information