"Ohana" Meaning

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I shouldn't have been surprised top learn that "ohana" means more than just a ukulele maker.

"Ohana is an idea in Hawaiian culture. The word ʻohana means welcome in the Hawaiian language, but in a much wider sense, to include not only one's closer relatives, but also one's cousins, in-laws, friends, race, and other neighbours."

I heard the word Ohana mentioned in a news report last night from Hawaii, about the shooting at Pearl Harbor. The reporter on camera was from Hawaii, and she was talking about how Oahu is a close-knit community and how the shooting hit the community hard. When she was talking about what a close-knit community it is, she mentioned "we call it ohana" or something to that effect. A good name for a ukulele maker.

"Ohana" means family. In Hawaii, this is often used to refer to one's extended family.

Yes. This was one of the big quotes from Lilo and Stitch when it came out. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel that teaches what “Ko’Aloha” means. ��

Yes. This was one of the big quotes from Lilo and Stitch when it came out. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel that teaches what “Ko’Aloha” means. ��

From "Making Music" article: "The name KoAloha comes from the Hawaiian words kou aloha, meaning “your love.” The name also includes “koa,” which is a native Hawaiian wood used to make KoAloha ukuleles."

I heard the word Ohana mentioned in a news report last night from Hawaii, about the shooting at Pearl Harbor. The reporter on camera was from Hawaii, and she was talking about how Oahu is a close-knit community and how the shooting hit the community hard. When she was talking about what a close-knit community it is, she mentioned "we call it ohana" or something to that effect. A good name for a ukulele maker.

Yes, that's where I heard it - actually read it.

Top Bottom