Luna Koa?

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Luna has a new model tenor at around $300 that seems to imply that it's made of solid Koa. I don't actually see the word "solid" anywhere in their description but rather that it features a "deep Koa body". A You Tube reviewer said it was laminate but other reviews list it as solid Koa. Anybody know?

Pretty sure it's laminate koa. GC has it listed as "all koa" which is just misleading marketing. If it was solid koa it would say "solid koa" on both GC's and Luna's website.

The price tells me that it is not solid Koa.

John Colter

It's pretty much never solid if the description doesn't use the word "solid".

If you shop on a site like Amazon or similar market seller site, some sellers will use the word "solid" to describe a laminate instrument because they aren't able to provide an accurate translation to English (or some may be outright deceptive). Price is usually the first hint to start questioning the construction.

It's pretty much never solid if the description doesn't use the word "solid".

If you shop on a site like Amazon or similar market seller site, some sellers will use the word "solid" to describe a laminate instrument because they aren't able to provide an accurate translation to English (or some may be outright deceptive). Price is usually the first hint to start questioning the construction.

They probably mean it's solid as opposed to liquid or gaseous.

Luna has a new model tenor at around $300 that seems to imply that it's made of solid Koa. I don't actually see the word "solid" anywhere in their description but rather that it features a "deep Koa body". A You Tube reviewer said it was laminate but other reviews list it as solid Koa. Anybody know?

All Koa Laminate as opposed to Mahogany laminate or Koa and Mahogany laminate.

Unless explicitly described as "solid" (either "all solid" or "solid top") by the manufacturer, you can assume it is laminate.

As for reviewers saying it is 'solid', they are probably simply mistaken/uninformed.

They probably mean it's solid as opposed to liquid or gaseous.

ha ha ha, that choked me up!

IMHO, Luna is a good brand to stay away from. Especially if they're being nebulous in their ads.

I also see a Bondi koa ukulele on Amazon for $350. Their slick ad never says if it it plywood or solid Hawaiian koa. I know nothing about this brand, but will avoid them from now on.

Top Bottom