Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Moore Bettah Auction

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    This thread has been fun to follow.

Just one thought about this art: how great would it be to see a MBU sell at auction, only to self-immolate or destruct a la the Banksy that had a self-shredding frame which destroyed the work after it sold?

I would guess Chuck and Banksy have differing views on their respective art being sold to a private citizen, but the idea of this really made me laugh.
    That was extremely disrespectful to the buyer of the Bansky and no, it wouldn't be great unless someone has scorn and I'll will towards the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    That was extremely disrespectful to the buyer of the Bansky and no, it wouldn't be great unless someone has scorn and I'll will towards the winner.
    I thought it was the artist protesting his work being sold? I guess I don’t have a good grasp on his ideology, but I thought the point of it was to be accessible to the public, not in someone’s private collection.

I think an artist has the right to destroy a work of their own creation if so desired, especially if it was being sold without their consent.

That said, I really know nothing about the art world (or the details of the Banksy sale) and could be totally off base.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    I thought it was the artist protesting his work being sold? I guess I don’t have a good grasp on his ideology, but I thought the point of it was to be accessible to the public, not in someone’s private collection.

I think an artist has the right to destroy a work of their own creation if so desired, especially if it was being sold without their consent.

That said, I really know nothing about the art world (or the details of the Banksy sale) and could be totally off base.
    I think the act of destroying it was part of the art.. if any thing it is more precious (value not $$) now that it was before and I am sure the buyer agrees... Have you'll seen Michi's guitars or ukulele?
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/vid...ental-ukulele/

The buyer of the self-shredding Banksy was (wait for it) .......... Banksy. Everyone in the art world knows that it was bought back via a proxy bidder. Look at the publicity it got and how his prices have gone even higher since then.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

In case any one reads the misinformed/total BS (potentially troll-ish) comments here.. please refer the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy...Girl_Shredding
    "The woman who won the bidding at the auction decided to go through with the purchase. The partially shredded work has been given a new title, Love is in the Bin, and it was authenticated by Banksy's authentication body Pest Control. Sotheby released a statement that said "Banksy didn't destroy an artwork in the auction, he created one," and called it "the first artwork in history to have been created live during an auction."[146][147]"

Bless you kerneltime, your world view is so sweet!
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Bless you kerneltime, your world view is so sweet!
    Thank you! The all knowing counter point to humanity.. if someone can sell a painting for around 2 million.. they don’t need to boost up their prices.. art is to shock and it did.. Bansky is not a high volume artist and if anything painting on walls don’t sell to benefit the artist
    In the past a mans rants would disperse into the ether but now they are recorded into history and technology gives it the same level playing fields with everything else.. just cause you can type a thought does not give it merit. I had seen Bansky’s art before all this and it was captivating.. all said he has done what he wanted to.. too bad all you have left is to be a noisy counter point

I have stayed out of this topic so far as I am the owner of two MBUs (which I adore and think were worth every penny), and literally wrote the book on Moore Bettah ukuleles. But I think this thread has gone off the rails at this point (not to mention a bit offtopic), and before it deteriorates further and risks personal attacks on either side, this discussion is done. Congratulations to the owner of the ukulele, and to those that disagree as to its value (which you certainly have a right to do so), you have now had ample opportunity to make your opinions known.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Thread Information