Moore Bettah Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
In its simplest sense, fair market value (FMV) is the price that real property would sell for on the open market. A term commonly used in tax and real estate, fair market value has come to represent the price of an asset under the following usual set of conditions: Prospective buyers and sellers are reasonably knowledgeable about the asset, behaving in their own best interests, free of undue pressure to trade and given a reasonable time period for completing the transaction. Given these conditions, an asset's fair market value should represent an accurate valuation or assessment of its worth.

Clearly, this description of FMV is apt to real estate, but I also think it fits the buyer (or winner) of this auction: knowledgeable, acting in his/her own best interest, and free to advance the price or walk away at any point. And hopefully the buyer feels the price was worth what was bid and eventually paid.

Collectively, I think we should celebrate when someone acquires an instrument they truly want and place a special value on. I am in no position to judge the actions or what is spent by anyone, either a high or low dollar amount. I am not a fanboy of the material possessions we buy, sell or own – I am more a fan of a community and culture that lifts and revels in the good we can bring to each other. These are the kind of people I want to associate with.

I don’t normally reply to these kinds of threads on this or the guitar forums I belong to, but for once I wanted to state my opinion on the matter. And yes, it’s just my opinion, but I think it is shared by many here on UU.

Last edited:
Because a K brand is a huge improvement over a Mahalo. I don't think an MB is anywhere near as huge an improvement over a K brand, particularly not a custom K brand.

As you get into the premium instruments, the differences become smaller as far as sound goes (woods used and category sizes the same). Playability is different between makers. Some are markedly different, and some differences are small.

Chuck Moore adds remarkable artistic design to his top ukes. Which I doubt alters the sound the instrument produces, but most certainly adds aesthetic value.

We often select one ukulele over another because we like the look of the woodgrain in it over the other. Sometimes we buy one with more bling than another because we like the look of the binding or the perfing or the rosette. None of which affects the sound of the instrument. (Okay, some straight grains are supposed to have a better sound than the highly figured or spalted woods.)

Whether one finds the aesthetics of the instrument important or appreciates added graphics, inlays or scrimshaw, is strictly a personal preference. Some people think it's a waste of money, while others feel that it is well worth the added cost and proudly display and perform with the instrument.

My understanding is that Chuck hand-selects the woods he uses. He does tap tests and scrapes the tops and backs to get exactly the sound he wants. That he feels is ideal for that particular top. He custom tunes the wood if you will. Does it make the uke sound better? Many think it does indeed.

Not being familiar with a Mahalo tenor, I have no basis for comparison. But I would guess the differences would be significant. Worth the price difference? Well, that's up to the buyer/player. The difference between a Hive and an MB is probably smaller. Worth the price difference? Again, that's the player/buyer's call.

I am sure there are a number of MB buyers that enjoy playing a work of art. That it adds significantly to their experience. While others may be collectors and purchase it strictly for it uniqueness and its beauty. (Which would be a shame if it isn't played. Like owning a Ferrari and never driving it.)

Regardless, it's the buyer's decision and motivations. If they have the wherewithal and the desire, then who are we to say different?

Personally, I think it's wonderful that Chuck has a way to express his art while producing excellent sounding instruments at the same time. And that he is receiving the recognition he so richly deserves. May he be able to continue to do so for a long time to come.

Last edited:
Chuck Moore adds remarkable artistic design to his top ukes. Which I doubt alters the sound the instrument produces, but most certainly adds aesthetic value.

But that is entirely subjective, don't any of you see that? 'Remarkable artistic design' - the man can't draw for heavens sake! Look at the arms on the girl in the uke in question. If she had her arms by her side she could walk on her hands her arms are that long and out of proportion. If you honestly think these are worth the money then no-one is stopping you from buying and enjoying them but please don't hail them to the world as great art and then take personal offense when someone disagrees. And before someone tells me that this is just his style, there is a big difference between folksy kitsch and bad draftsmanship. Of course this is just my opinion, I shouldn't have to explain that in a public forum, but if one person has the right to hail these as great art then another person has the right to disagree. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - that would be as dumb as walking into a room full of evangelicals and telling them god doesn't exist - they would also have their fingers in their ears, but I would defend anyone's right to do that if they honestly believed it. I don't care how long it takes to add the inlays - I personally do not think it makes them worth what people are prepared to pay. This is my opinion, get over it!

But that is entirely subjective, don't any of you see that? 'Remarkable artistic design' - the man can't draw for heavens sake! Look at the arms on the girl in the uke in question. If she had her arms by her side she could walk on her hands her arms are that long and out of proportion. If you honestly think these are worth the money then no-one is stopping you from buying and enjoying them but please don't hail them to the world as great art and then take personal offense when someone disagrees. And before someone tells me that this is just his style, there is a big difference between folksy kitsch and bad draftsmanship. Of course this is just my opinion, I shouldn't have to explain that in a public forum, but if one person has the right to hail these as great art then another person has the right to disagree. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - that would be as dumb as walking into a room full of evangelicals and telling them god doesn't exist - they would also have their fingers in their ears, but I would defend anyone's right to do that if they honestly believed it. I don't care how long it takes to add the inlays - I personally do not think it makes them worth what people are prepared to pay. This is my opinion, get over it!
No one is taking personal offense, just amusing to see how much time you are burning on something you don’t like and have not experienced in person.. carry on countering..

Its a great discussion, there can never be a right answer.

Arguing about the MBU has to be better than the other things happening in London today. There is no problem arguing for a particular opinion. It will open your mind up to other things.

There is a general election happening in the UK today but nothing else in London as far as I'm aware. Well, it's raining but that goes without saying!

It goes without saying that there's no doubt in my mind that a MB is worth every penny it takes to buy one.

Also,

It goes without saying that there's no doubt in my mind that a Mahalo is worth every penny it takes to buy one.

Completely different instruments yet each totally justifies their selling price.

Last edited:
This thread has been fun to follow.

Just one thought about this art: how great would it be to see a MBU sell at auction, only to self-immolate or destruct a la the Banksy that had a self-shredding frame which destroyed the work after it sold?

I would guess Chuck and Banksy have differing views on their respective art being sold to a private citizen, but the idea of this really made me laugh.

Just one thought about this art: how great would it be to see a MBU sell at auction, only to self-immolate or destruct a la the Banksy that had a self-shredding frame which destroyed the work after it sold?

I would guess Chuck and Banksy have differing views on their respective art being sold to a private citizen, but the idea of this really made me laugh.

Banksy - the perfect example of how a good dealer and the right media coverage can fabricate a 'great' artist and fool rich collectors everywhere :)

That was extremely disrespectful to the buyer of the Bansky and no, it wouldn't be great unless someone has scorn and I'll will towards the winner.

That was extremely disrespectful to the buyer of the Bansky and no, it wouldn't be great unless someone has scorn and I'll will towards the winner.

I thought it was the artist protesting his work being sold? I guess I don’t have a good grasp on his ideology, but I thought the point of it was to be accessible to the public, not in someone’s private collection.

I think an artist has the right to destroy a work of their own creation if so desired, especially if it was being sold without their consent.

That said, I really know nothing about the art world (or the details of the Banksy sale) and could be totally off base.

I thought it was the artist protesting his work being sold? I guess I don’t have a good grasp on his ideology, but I thought the point of it was to be accessible to the public, not in someone’s private collection.

I think an artist has the right to destroy a work of their own creation if so desired, especially if it was being sold without their consent.

That said, I really know nothing about the art world (or the details of the Banksy sale) and could be totally off base.
I think the act of destroying it was part of the art.. if any thing it is more precious (value not $$) now that it was before and I am sure the buyer agrees... Have you'll seen Michi's guitars or ukulele?
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/michihiro-matsudas-experimental-ukulele/

The buyer of the self-shredding Banksy was (wait for it) .......... Banksy. Everyone in the art world knows that it was bought back via a proxy bidder. Look at the publicity it got and how his prices have gone even higher since then.

In case any one reads the misinformed/total BS (potentially troll-ish) comments here.. please refer the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy#Balloon_Girl_Shredding
"The woman who won the bidding at the auction decided to go through with the purchase. The partially shredded work has been given a new title, Love is in the Bin, and it was authenticated by Banksy's authentication body Pest Control. Sotheby released a statement that said "Banksy didn't destroy an artwork in the auction, he created one," and called it "the first artwork in history to have been created live during an auction."[SUP][146][/SUP][SUP][147]"

[/SUP]

Bless you kerneltime, your world view is so sweet! :)
Thank you! The all knowing counter point to humanity.. if someone can sell a painting for around 2 million.. they don’t need to boost up their prices.. art is to shock and it did.. Bansky is not a high volume artist and if anything painting on walls don’t sell to benefit the artist
In the past a mans rants would disperse into the ether but now they are recorded into history and technology gives it the same level playing fields with everything else.. just cause you can type a thought does not give it merit. I had seen Bansky’s art before all this and it was captivating.. all said he has done what he wanted to.. too bad all you have left is to be a noisy counter point

I have stayed out of this topic so far as I am the owner of two MBUs (which I adore and think were worth every penny), and literally wrote the book on Moore Bettah ukuleles. But I think this thread has gone off the rails at this point (not to mention a bit offtopic), and before it deteriorates further and risks personal attacks on either side, this discussion is done. Congratulations to the owner of the ukulele, and to those that disagree as to its value (which you certainly have a right to do so), you have now had ample opportunity to make your opinions known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom