Sticky Fingers

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I guess I'm a little weird, but I wash my hands with soap constantly. Not related, but I am also a DJ and carry a damp wash cloth in a plastic baggie to wipe off my sweaty or sticky fingers. Those shows are 4-5 hours non-stop.

I do not play instruments professionally; just for my own amusement.

Where this relates to paying ukuleles: I need to be able to feel everything on my fingertips but sometime they feel too dry and don't "grip" the strings.

I keep things neat, but I am not obsessed with cleaning the instuments, just my hands.

To the point, am I actually de-sensetizing my fingers by cleaning so much, or should I just use a dry towel?

Try putting lotion on your hands before you wash them. It will help reduce the dryness that comes from frequent washings. I also find that vigorously rubbing my hands under running water (no soap) will often clean my hands well enough, and will avoid the dryness that comes from using soap all the time. Switching to hand soap that contains moisturizers or aloe vera is good for those who need to wash their hands frequently. Also try to use a soap that is fragrance-free. Unless it’s from a natural source, fragrance is one of the ingredients that contributes to the drying effect. Trying any or all of the above should help restore the sensitivity to your fingertips and make your playing sessions more enjoyable. Best of luck, Wiggy!

Jan D.

I appreciate the ideas. Wifey, who quilts, gave me some Shea Butter. It only takes a tiny bit; you rub it quickly to warm it up, and it soaks right in. It is not at all greasy and will not leave a spot or stain. I like it so far.

-W

Shea butter is good, indeed, and you can try aloe vera based hydrating hand creams, these should do the trick more than fine.

You guys are freaks! (I say this throwing my head back in a full-throated laugh). We are all freaks. We are denizens of this sub-thread because we are anal about something. I don't feel your pain about finger moisture in my guts and bowels, but I recognize that the pain you feel about that is the pain I feel about other things. So I offer you a big cyber-hug and hope you can skip over this hurdle.

Top Bottom