12 fret vs 14 fret.. which one do you prefer? Why?

Wow, ripock, if I could understand what you just wrote I would consider myself somewhat
comfortable with Music theory. As it stands, most of it went way over my head, but I'm not
complaining or taking issue at all.

In fact, I'm in awe of you and anyone who could understand what you wrote! I'm glad we
have UUers who can understand these matters :)

keep it up. We need you... I think :)

keep uke'in',

All my ukes have, by design and intention, 19 frets. I do this because I mostly play in the key of E and the 19th fret, A string, is an E so that my highest note is a root note. I also do it to organize my fretboard by the side-dots on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th, and 19th frets. Why are those frets important? They are the notes of the pentatonic scale, the cornerstone of the American musical experience. I am not a singer whatsoever, so I definitely use all my fretboard. For example, I have recently been obsessed with the Phrygian dominant scale. So I begin my playing at the 11th fret and noodle my way up to the 19th for improvisation. However in the matter of chords and the extended neck, I find that although the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak. As a general rule, I wouldn't even think of chords beyond the 15th fret. It just doesn't work for me. There are exceptions. For instance the m7b5 chord with the root on the A string is playable all the way to the end with my skills. And straight barres like the major and minor triads as well as the minor 7 barre work everywhere.
I am always impressed by your systematic and diligent approach to learn and plan things out!

All my ukes have, by design and intention, 19 frets. I do this because I mostly play in the key of E and the 19th fret, A string, is an E so that my highest note is a root note. I also do it to organize my fretboard by the side-dots on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th, and 19th frets. Why are those frets important? They are the notes of the pentatonic scale, the cornerstone of the American musical experience. I am not a singer whatsoever, so I definitely use all my fretboard. For example, I have recently been obsessed with the Phrygian dominant scale. So I begin my playing at the 11th fret and noodle my way up to the 19th for improvisation. However in the matter of chords and the extended neck, I find that although the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak. As a general rule, I wouldn't even think of chords beyond the 15th fret. It just doesn't work for me. There are exceptions. For instance the m7b5 chord with the root on the A string is playable all the way to the end with my skills. And straight barres like the major and minor triads as well as the minor 7 barre work everywhere.

Ummm...what's the key of E?

Just kidding! As others have said, that's all way beyond me, but it's awesome just the same.

well...thanks for the compliments. However I only know what I know, and there are huge gaps in my knowledge. And I probably couldn't play with Uncle Rod because, although I can talk a good game, I have difficulty playing in the pocket and staying within my assigned role. I need a lot more discipline and much more one-on-one time with my metronome.

Top Bottom