Flight TUSL-35 Concert Scale Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I just saw this as I was browsing youtube. Nice review. Those Flights are really surprisingly good players and an incredible bargain.

Indeed - 'no brainer' ukes considering the price.

Nice review, I had no doubt this one would get a decent score. I'd probably go for the Flight Travel uke myself if I didn't have a Flea ordered already. :)

I do own two Flea's and love them. I will always endorse them too for the work they have done for the community. But there is no getting away from the price difference here!

Thanks for the review Barry I have the soprano version and love it I was thinking of getting this one but as my travel uke being a bit shorter is a slight advantage, your right about the fret paint a lot of mine has worn off but I can’t feel any change of the frets.

I have been bugging Flight for a long time about making a concert model, and they let me know this was coming some time ago. I’ll be receiving one and when I do, I’ll review it, too.

I think the saddle is removable. I’ll miss the compensated saddle, but an adjustable saddle is a good thing. I love the new front markers.

I like concerts...and thus long neck soprano bodies are also in my wheelhouse. The soprano version of the TUS had a 14” scale length (on the long side for a soprano) so I’ll look forward to seeing what it is on the long neck.

I had to play the TUS 35 next to a Fluke (concert) to realize how good it was...I had let the plastic appearance and washed out stain on the top (the light blue version that sold for under $30 a year or so ago) impact my brain on how it sounded. The sound of a TUS-35 is very similar to the Fluke, but 1/4 or less of the price. That’s not saying I wouldn’t want a Fluke...but it does make this a remarkable $50 in the US (not sure what the US price will be for the TUSL).

Great review as always, Barry!

Thanks for the review Barry I have the soprano version and love it I was thinking of getting this one but as my travel uke being a bit shorter is a slight advantage, your right about the fret paint a lot of mine has worn off but I can’t feel any change of the frets.

Yeah - I've stress tested the Flight frets quite hard! I do that as I once reviewed a plastic uke that seemed ok. Took it on holiday for two weeks and by the end the frets had notches in them!

Not saying that in several years this wont happen a bit to the Flight (it happened a bit to my Flea), but it will take a lot of time. Not worth worrying about for £40

I think the saddle is removable. I’ll miss the compensated saddle, but an adjustable saddle is a good thing. I love the new front markers.

I like concerts...and thus long neck soprano bodies are also in my wheelhouse. The soprano version of the TUS had a 14” scale length (on the long side for a soprano) so I’ll look forward to seeing what it is on the long neck.

Yeah had to keep this one under wraps for some time as they only launched in the UK at least last week.

Yes, i believe you are right - the saddle may be removeable. That's a plus point, though the action on this example (and the soprano before it) were just spot on.

The scale is about 15 ¾ inches!

Just got mine this week. Can't recall the last time I got a ukulele that exceeded my expectations as this one did.

Just a pleasure to play, wide string spacing, good sound. The texture on the neck is quite nice, just the right amount for grip and movement. Even the texture on the back is decent for playing strapless. I was surprised how low the action was - 2mm at the 12th. Lowest I've ever had. Plays perfectly well with the low action, but I'm more of a finger picker, so I might look at raising it one day. Haven't had Super Nylguts for a long time so that was a bit of getting used to, but they're growing on me. Have a few sets of fluoros in the drawer for when they need changing.

The weight took a bit of getting used to - not so much when playing, just when picking it up. It's a good 200 grams heavier than my Ohana soprano, but probably similar to a Dolphin. If I had to nit pick, the side dots are a little tiny for my eyes, and a side dot at 12 would have been nice. The tuners are quite stiff, but not a real issue (I might look into Ratios someday as the screw holes look like they might match up). Also, I lightly filed the plastic edge on the face of the headstock where it rests on my hand as it was a bit sharp. It's plastic, so took 30 seconds with a nail file.

Top Bottom