Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't expect that.

Default Didn't expect that.

Hello,

So, something happened that I did not expect whatsoever. My mother and her class in church are having a musical number tomorrow. We are singing a song during the sacrament service.

My mom approached me and asked if I could try accompanying a video of the song on the Ukulele. I did, and she said it sounded so good that she was going to talk to the bishop to see if I can accompany the piano during the number.

Now, for those who do not know, in my church, ukulele and guitar are not Chapel approved instruments. However, to my shock, the bishop said yes.

I did not expect that.

Looks like I'm taking my ukulele playing to the chapel for the first time! I'm excited!

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Unfortunately, church policy prohibits me from recording anything during the sacrament service in the chapel.

Will keep you updated,

Jared

That's great news, Jared. Indeed, let us know how it goes. Congrats!
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Fantastic! You'll do great!
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I'm not criticizing nor intend any disrespect. I'm wondering why an instrument would or would not be "chapel approved"?

Enjoy your performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Vintageukes View Post
    I'm not criticizing nor intend any disrespect. I'm wondering why an instrument would or would not be "chapel approved"?

Enjoy your performance!
    Yes, I was wondering about that, too. And why would it be approved now?

Good luck with your performance, may there be many more to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by jnicholes View Post
    Hello,

So, something happened that I did not expect whatsoever. My mother and her class in church are having a musical number tomorrow. We are singing a song during the sacrament service.

My mom approached me and asked if I could try accompanying a video of the song on the Ukulele. I did, and she said it sounded so good that she was going to talk to the bishop to see if I can accompany the piano during the number.

Now, for those who do not know, in my church, ukulele and guitar are not Chapel approved instruments. However, to my shock, the bishop said yes.

I did not expect that.

Looks like I'm taking my ukulele playing to the chapel for the first time! I'm excited!

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Unfortunately, church policy prohibits me from recording anything during the sacrament service in the chapel.

Will keep you updated,

Jared
    Sounds good. Enjoy the experience.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vintageukes View Post

Enjoy your performance!
    Just guessing, but I suspect it's to maintain a level of dignity. If anyone could do anything, well, you know how people can be. I can't imagine a standard instrument being denied. I remember when guitars would play in our church. That was unusual, but no one complained.

Could it be a continuation of the historical divide between the instruments considered suitable for sacred music rather than secular? This page covers that to an extent https://www.liveabout.com/the-rise-o...-music-2456377. I think I may have a thesis on the subject buried somewhere in my hard drive - I'll have a look.

As someone guilty of playing English half-long bagpipes, I'll admit that the sound would be more appropriate in a tavern than in a chapel.
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hurst View Post
    As someone guilty of playing English half-long bagpipes, I'll admit that the sound would be more appropriate in a tavern than in a chapel.
    Singing hymns to bagpipe music sounds like a Monty Python skit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Singing hymns to bagpipe music sounds like a Monty Python skit.
    A travesty if I was playing - although the pipes are a lot quieter than the modern GHBs (Great Highland Bagpipes).

A good thing, as you get thumped less when playing indoors, and no one asks you to play them while advancing towards heavy machine gun fire

Phil Pl Pipes 02.jpg
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Thread Information