Didn't expect that.

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello,

So, something happened that I did not expect whatsoever. My mother and her class in church are having a musical number tomorrow. We are singing a song during the sacrament service.

My mom approached me and asked if I could try accompanying a video of the song on the Ukulele. I did, and she said it sounded so good that she was going to talk to the bishop to see if I can accompany the piano during the number.

Now, for those who do not know, in my church, ukulele and guitar are not Chapel approved instruments. However, to my shock, the bishop said yes.

I did not expect that.

Looks like I'm taking my ukulele playing to the chapel for the first time! I'm excited!

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Unfortunately, church policy prohibits me from recording anything during the sacrament service in the chapel.

Will keep you updated,

Jared

That's great news, Jared. Indeed, let us know how it goes. Congrats!

Fantastic! You'll do great!

I'm not criticizing nor intend any disrespect. I'm wondering why an instrument would or would not be "chapel approved"?

Enjoy your performance!

I'm not criticizing nor intend any disrespect. I'm wondering why an instrument would or would not be "chapel approved"?

Enjoy your performance!

Yes, I was wondering about that, too. And why would it be approved now?

Good luck with your performance, may there be many more to follow!

Hello,

So, something happened that I did not expect whatsoever. My mother and her class in church are having a musical number tomorrow. We are singing a song during the sacrament service.

My mom approached me and asked if I could try accompanying a video of the song on the Ukulele. I did, and she said it sounded so good that she was going to talk to the bishop to see if I can accompany the piano during the number.

Now, for those who do not know, in my church, ukulele and guitar are not Chapel approved instruments. However, to my shock, the bishop said yes.

I did not expect that.

Looks like I'm taking my ukulele playing to the chapel for the first time! I'm excited!

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Unfortunately, church policy prohibits me from recording anything during the sacrament service in the chapel.

Will keep you updated,

Jared

Sounds good. Enjoy the experience.

Enjoy your performance!

Just guessing, but I suspect it's to maintain a level of dignity. If anyone could do anything, well, you know how people can be. I can't imagine a standard instrument being denied. I remember when guitars would play in our church. That was unusual, but no one complained.

Could it be a continuation of the historical divide between the instruments considered suitable for sacred music rather than secular? This page covers that to an extent https://www.liveabout.com/the-rise-of-secular-music-2456377. I think I may have a thesis on the subject buried somewhere in my hard drive - I'll have a look.

As someone guilty of playing English half-long bagpipes, I'll admit that the sound would be more appropriate in a tavern than in a chapel.

Singing hymns to bagpipe music sounds like a Monty Python skit.

A travesty if I was playing - although the pipes are a lot quieter than the modern GHBs (Great Highland Bagpipes).

A good thing, as you get thumped less when playing indoors, and no one asks you to play them while advancing towards heavy machine gun fire

Phil Pl Pipes 02.jpg

Enjoy your performance!

Allow me to explain. In my church, we try our best to make sure that the music is and sounds reverent. Thus, certain instruments like the organ and the piano are approved.

Other instruments can be approved, but you need to talk to the bishop first. In my case, the ukulele was approved because he knows how I play, and I don't intend to do anything that would make the music sound not sacred.

I hope this explains it. And no criticism or disrespect taken.

It actually went quite well today. A lot of people came up after the meeting and told me how I played very well. They were all very impressed with how I played along with the piano.

Jared

I'm glad to hear it went well. The fact that they were impressed with your ability to play with the piano means you have good musical instincts. I hope you have a chance to do it again. And I hope you enjoyed it.

A travesty if I was playing - although the pipes are a lot quieter than the modern GHBs (Great Highland Bagpipes).

A good thing, as you get thumped less when playing indoors, and no one asks you to play them while advancing towards heavy machine gun fire

View attachment 123534

ROFL. I don't know what those bagpipes are, but I'm going up look it up.

That's great!
Guitar has been used in the Dances of Universal Peace for over 30 years. Just the last couple of years, I have been the honorary ukulele player for certain songs done in the Dances.

View attachment 123534

We have two local people who play the pipes, and they get asked to play at events quite often. I like the sound of bagpipes, and I'm surprised that so many people don't.

Enjoy your performance!

When I was growing up in 1960s and 70s, the church I was attending only allowed keyboard instruments in services. The guitar was associated with worldly music—blues, rock, jazz, etc.—and therefore "of the devil." We even had a record burning gathering after church and Hendrix's Purple Haze was used to demonstrate satan's mind control power through music! Needless to say I kept my Hendrix records and my guitars. Oddly enough, these many years later, that very church now uses electric guitars, bass and drums and the worship music sounds like smoothed out pop music...

jnicholes -- I know your church!

We recently had a Primary children’s program and for the first time our Bishop allowed some guitar accompaniment. It was reverent and totally appropriate with one of the songs they sang.

jnicholes -- I know your church!

We recently had a Primary children’s program and for the first time our Bishop allowed some guitar accompaniment. It was reverent and totally appropriate with one of the songs they sang.

I'll be darned! You do know my church!

My primary president allows me to bring my ukulele to accompany the piano in primary. That's what I do. I've only played it in Sacrament once.

Actually I just got my guitar fixed. Planning on bringing it next Sunday to primary to accompany the piano. They are pretty good with it.

Jared

Top Bottom