Season #408 N.P.R.'s Tiny Desk Concert Series

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello fellow seasonistas, I hope everyone is doing well! I'm sorry for the last minute post here. I know a lot of you like having some advance notice to research the theme and find songs. Hopefully this week, it will be easy for everyone to find something to perform.

As the title says, it's all about N.P.R.'s Tiny Desk Concert series. I guess I first encountered one about a year ago, and since then, I have discovered dozens of new artists via the youtube rabbit hole trips. Once you start watching them, as you know, they will start popping up randomly. Any performer who has performed for the series is fair game. It does not have to be a song they specifically performed on their tiny desk concert. If they performed in a Tiny desk concert, then any song they have ever been a part of performing or recording is fair game. I'm going to get this posted up as quickly as I can, but i'll come back and add some links later. The last time I checked, there had been 800 concerts done for the series. In the meantime just research NPR Tiny Desk.

https://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/

For the songwriters out there, any original qualifies as long as the recording and video are being posted for the first time. If you can find a creative way to tie into the theme, I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Normal rules apply regarding timing of the season etc. I am personally inclined to allow any instruments here, so long as a uke can be heard somewhere in the mix. It does not have to feature exclusively. So bring out the other instruments that you folks enjoy playing. No Song Limits!

I am going to be gifting a set of uke strings to 5 of you. I haven't decided my criteria yet, and it may be random. I'll follow up later on that note.

PLAYLIST ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duP6cSqKkto&list=PL5FgrFq3aYVd8M6L9MwWUcHvCZUU83vJ3

Remember that Val's "You Need Hands" week still has a little more than a day to go, so hopefully we'll see some more entries there. I look forward to hearing what you come up with, and most importantly, I hope you have fun researching and performing this week.

Last edited:
I too have watched quite a few of those concerts on youtube. Very good source for new music.
And a very wide theme, where to begin!
I hope I can decide :)

Great theme Kevin! A few of my favourites in there, hopefully I'll be able to discover some more too!

Great idea for the week, Kev ... massive choice out there!

Thanks Kevin.Real good theme.
There's plenty of folks i don't know at all...but also some I know well.Lack of time today saw me going for low hanging fruit..I'm a John P but this John P is somewhat more well known.

Ok, Kevin. I've been thinking lately that I needed to find some new music to listen to. This is quite a lot to choose from. I started at the NPR pages, and found lots of others showing 10 best types things.. I found a "Ranker" site on Tiny Desk, which lists 85 of the 600+ on one page. This might be helpful for those looking for choices...

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-npr-tiny-desk-concerts/ranker-music

Scrolling through, my eye was caught by this young lady... Oooo! Look a ukulele!

Oh wait.. even better! 756 Tiny Desks on their page..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1B627337ED6F55F0

Turns out she sings in Spanish...
thumbnail

Last edited:
Well now.

Pandora's box hath been opened if Gogol Bordello are fair game

Their Tiny Desk Concert is the gold standard for all Tiny Desk Concerts IMHO. They crushed it, in high desk-stepping manner.

We interrupt this programme to bring you a newsflash.... The Winner has just been announced of 406...

We now return you to our normal schedule!

Thanks for all of the positive comments! I hope that everyone will be able to find something, and hopefully discover something new while researching! I am going to put up the playlist now and listen to videos that have already been posted. Cheers ~

Thanks Joko, for sharing some more info here on how to quickly research the Tiny Desk Concerts! Whenever I want to discover something new, I definitely use the Tiny Desk concerts as one of my reliable sources for finding awesome artists and performances! Enjoy the search and the season, and look forward to hearing back from you with a song or two this week ~

Ok, Kevin. I've been thinking lately that I needed to find some new music to listen to. This is quite a lot to choose from. I started at the NPR pages, and found lots of others showing 10 best types things.. I found a "Ranker" site on Tiny Desk, which lists 85 of the 600+ on one page. This might be helpful for those looking for choices...

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-npr-tiny-desk-concerts/ranker-music

Scrolling through, my eye was caught by this young lady... Oooo! Look a ukulele!

Oh wait.. even better! 756 Tiny Desks on their page..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1B627337ED6F55F0

Turns out she sings in Spanish...

I just started the playlist and added this first 6 performances for the week! Thanks to Pa, John, Jon & Joo, Rob, Wim and Lynda for their fine contributions! It's a really wonderful start!

If time allows, i'll post up one of my favorites Tiny Desks concerts each day of the week! Feel free to share you're favorite (just ONE please) Tiny Desk Concert! WARNING: Some strong language in this one :)

i went straight to the Tiny Desk page and checked out the most recent performers who were new to me. Many were wildly talented hip hop artists whose work I couldn't hope to adapt to uke.

I kept scrolling down the page, listening to every new performer, and I found Sunny War.

Don't even bother listening to my version. War's beautiful, bluesy finger-picked guitar and her incredible voice and lyrics might either break or heal your heart, depending on its current state.

Thank you, Kevin, for the reminder to meet some new performers!

Top Bottom