Season #408 N.P.R.'s Tiny Desk Concert Series

another collab with del! homemade song written for the season, "a colder winter". main vocal and bb8 1-string bass by me, plus korg kr mini rhythm gizmo, and backing vocal, ukulele, synth, and awesome production by the mighty del

THANK YOU SO MUCH DEL !

New song and artist to me as well Brian, and what an amazing Tiny Desk concert. I've just watched it, thanks for sharing ~

3rd new song to me this week.
This one via the terrific Dan Auerbach NRP Tiny Desk Concert.
These tiny desk concerts are such a terrific source of new songs....hope to bring one more...maybe a Tyler Childers song that I heard on his NRP concert.

Hello, Kev ... and thanks for this great theme! I have not really had much opportunity to listen to the Tiny Desk Concerts because we still have limited monthly Internet access ... but there is an awful lot of interesting stuff out there. This song is one that was penned by our hirsute distant relation (well, he MIGHT be!), Chris Stapleton, who has appeared in a Tiny Desk Concert. It has been covered by Adele, who has also appeared in one of the concerts. Apologies, I have a cold, so my voice is going a bit ... I think it also might be affecting my ukulele playing!

Last edited:
If the opportunity presents itself to play some Courtney Barnett I simply must take advantage of it.

This is off her second album, release last year.

The back of the winter has not been broken yet, but one can sing and dream about spring. "Follow The Heron", written by Scottish musician Karine Polwart:

Ahoy.
Great theme and a lot to choose from. I discovered NPR only this summer when youtube suggested DJ Premiere's NPR concert - an excellent hip-hop-jazz experience.
I did not do hip-hop today though. I covered two Weezer songs today. I say 403 in the video as I misread what season it is... I apologize for that.

The back of the winter has not been broken yet, but one can sing and dream about spring. "Follow The Heron", written by Scottish musician Karine Polwart:

Wonderful that you brought a Karine Polwart song she is brilliant. She seems to have a thing about Mr Trump
Have a listen to her NPR Tiny Desk "I am burned but not consumed" but here is another one of hers which I think
is more accessible.

In meteorology haar is a cold sea fog. It occurs most often on the east coast of England or Scotland
between April and September, when warm air passes over the cold North Sea

Last edited:
It's Wednesday night here, and i've just had the chance to update the playlist. We're up to 30 videos already. Thanks to all of you who have participated this week. Lots of fine videos to check out, and i've discovered so many new artists this week.

Discovered this concert accidentally due to Joko's random search efforts. He passed on this one since she sings in Spanish. I lived in Mexico for 10 years in what seems like another lifetime now, and as a result I'm fluent in Spanish. Whether you speak Spanish or not, I think you'll appreciate her lovely voice ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODaYjDyjyQ

Roseanne Cash ~ Sunken Lands. I'm playing a tenor guitar that i've converted to GCEA tenor ukulele tuning but an octave down

I don't know why I didn't hear much of her music before, but I just recently discovered some of her newer original work with John Leventhal, and I really like it of it a lot.
She did a Tiny Desk concert a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Z

King of Birds by Karine Polwart Here is my interpretation.
Verse 1: In the Great Fire of London of 1666, Old St Paul's was gutted
Verse 2: The cathedral survived the Blitz although struck by bombs on 10 October 1940 and 17 April 1941.
Bridge: Saint Paul's surrounded by the City's financial district
Verse 3: In October 2011 an anti-capitalism Occupy London encampment was established in front of the cathedral
Some things endure

Last edited:
As promised/threatened, here is some Gogol. I consider the album Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike to be essential listening for everyone.

I haven't had this much fun making a video in a long time and that's because there is only one way to play a Gogol Bordello song: by the seat of your pants,

Delighted to see that I am not the first to pick Karine Polwart from that massive list of acts. I saw her at a festival this summer, when as well as the regular Scots folk songs that she is known for, she also covered a lot of songs by more contemporary writers from that country, including this one by Roddy Frame of Aztec Camera. (Who, incidentally, would be perfect for a Tiny Desk concert - a superb solo performer)

Top Bottom