Season #408 N.P.R.'s Tiny Desk Concert Series

Last edited:
Found this on the NPR website...it features a ukulele, figured it should be included here.

[video]https://www.npr.org/2011/12/01/142861581/tune-yards-tiny-desk-concert?jwsource=cl[/video]

I drink because I am lonesome, and I'm lonesome because I drink.

Code:
[FONT=arial]There's a bottle on the dresser by your ring
And it's empty so right now I don't feel a thing
I'll be hurting when I wake up on the floor
But I'll be over it by noon
That's the difference between whiskey and you
Come tomorrow, I can walk in any store
It ain't a problem, they'll always sell me more
But your forgiveness
Well, that's something I can't buy
There ain't a thing that I can do
One's the devil, one keeps driving me insane
At times I wonder if they ain't both the same
But one's a liar that helps to hide me from my pain
And one's the long gone bitter truth
That's the difference between whiskey and you[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I've got a problem but it ain't like what you think
I drink because I'm lonesome and I'm lonesome 'cause I drink
But if I don't break down and bring it on myself
It'll hit out of the blue
One's the devil, one keeps driving me insane
At times I wonder, oh if they ain't both the same
But one's a liar that helps to hide me from my pain
And one's the long gone bitter truth
That's the difference between whiskey and you[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Ah, that's the difference between whiskey and you[/FONT]

One of the artists that I have heard on NPR Tiny Desk in Rhiannon Giddens.
She once, in another concert, did a cover of this old Elisabeth Cotton song.
I have wanting to do this song for a while, so I saw my chance this week.

I don't rememeber how I found NPR Tiny Desk, if I was searching for an artist who was on there or something else. But I am glad I did.
Another Youtube channel that has a lot of nice concerts is the Audiotree Live channel. Great stuff there too.

Found this on the NPR website...it features a ukulele, figured it should be included here.

[video]https://www.npr.org/2011/12/01/142861581/tune-yards-tiny-desk-concert?jwsource=cl[/video]

Thanks for sharing this, another new one to me ~

Just watched David Crosby and The Lighthouse Band tiny desk concert.
All brill but the best version of Woodstock I have ever heard.

What I love about the tiny desk series and other stuff like it on YouTube is that it is real live immediate no bs music.
Quality recording certainly but no bs.
Brillant stuff imho.
Thanks for the reason to check out some stuff I haven't seen before and for your thoughtful attentive hosting Kevin.

Last edited:
Yes Randy Newman sat at an old upright piano and sung 4 songs She Chose Me was one of them, but the killer song of the set was Wandering Boy

Code:
[FONT=Roboto]I[B][SIZE=4]'m not much to talk to and I know how I look
All I know about life comes out of book
But of all the people, there are in the world
She chose me
Most of my life, I've been on my own
W[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][B][SIZE=4][FONT=Roboto]hatever I did, I did it alone
And then she came along Now I'm not alone
Since she chose me
Every night I thank the lucky stars above me
That someone as beautiful as she could really love me
From time to time I ask myself 
why was it IAnd nobody else
The most beautiful girl that I'd ever seen
And she chose me[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited:
Howdy all, well hello seasonistas old and new,its been a mighty long time since i was around these parts.
Actually had some down time so i have managed to do a little song,its been a long time since ive played or sung,evidence is in the pudding.
Great theme i love the tiny desk concerts.i have done a song by John Prine,only got into him recently boy what have i been mising.
Ive known this song for a long time as my favourite version is on the debut album by Alabama 3.who i am going to see again on dec 21 at brixton to celebrate 25 years of said albums release.
Any who here is my entry,love you guys x.

Unlike seemingly everybody else, I had never heard of the Tiny Desk until this week, much less 98% of the acts performing on it. After an hour or two of scrolling, listening, enjoying, scrolling some more and indecision - I went with the random number generator solution and found Waxahatchie. I enjoy plaintive, whiney, guitar songs, and they fit that to a tee. Essentially, this song is one big justification for being a horrible, moody, inattentive partner. But she probably just sees it as 'quirky'.

D A Em G
Take my word for it, I'm not worth it
D A Em G
I ignored you all night and you don't deserve it
Morning, bathtub, my skin soft and hot
I was sure you were right but you're not

Em G
I contemplate my ruined fate
G D
Someone will hurt me so bad one day
And you'll resonate or I'll apologize
Or maybe I'll make the same mistake twice

D A Em G
I hide from phone calls under the warm water
D A Em G
Malice desists, no it woefully recurs
And it plays like daytime TV shows, I confuse you
and I tell you not to love me
But I still kiss you when I want to

..and so on...

The chord sheet called for a capo on the 9th fret... Um, on a uke that doesn't leach much space to play. (9th fret on a guitar equals 4th fret of GCEA , I just had to remember to play the chords 'baritone" style.

You can use other instruments, he said… the ukulele doesn’t need to be centre stage… Hmm. OK! Here is my cover of Right Next Door (It’s Because of Me), Robert Cray’s blues/pop hit from the 80’s. Hope you like it…. There is an ukulele in there… somewhere. Cheers.

PS. Like Joko I had never heard of tiny desk before, so I googled blues together with the word NPR Tiny Desk and Robert Cray came up :) Great Stuff.

PPS. That Tiny Desk Robert Cray concert is worth listening to https://youtu.be/fEjzBKo-sxI

Last edited:
There are many songs I want to do with this week but I'll start with this one because I sort of need it right now. It's by John Grant

F-bomb warning active.

Just now getting caught up with the playlist, thanks to everyone who has participated thus far. There have really been some fantastic entries, and i've discovered some great new music along the way, including this one that Ryan and Christopher we're discussing earlier in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSM7S4v76tg&t=880s

Looking forward to more discoveries as the week goes along ~

This is an original song and a collaboration with Del. A big thanks to Del for adding his electronic rhythms, bass and melodies. I had envisioned doing it in this manner, and after learning of Del's talents here on the seasons, I'm grateful he was interested and willing to spend the time working it up with me.

Some strumming ,some scraping and a sort of singing thing !!! Viva Gogol Bordello.

Top Bottom