Season #408 N.P.R.'s Tiny Desk Concert Series

Jackson Browne did a great Tiny Desk performance back in 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGgrDPDcYNI

Collaborating with Jon on this song "Linda Paloma" which is from his 1976 album 'The Pretender'. Very raw, as I had just learned it, and my voice was recovering from some kind of crud! We certainly did it our way :)

I think i've got the playlist up to date. It's Thursday night here in Texas, and we've had 38 entries at last count. If i've missed anyone, please let me know. Cheers ~

Here's an original. Wrote it two years ago for Pa's Christmas song contest, but I've always introduced it at open mic nights as less of a Christmas song, more a song set at Christmas, and that's because the Christmas prompt was basically a conduit to help me get what I wanted to say at the time off my chest.

It's probably my favourite of my originals because it's the first one where the lyrics really just flowed out while I was writing and I didn't have to struggle to find two verses to go with a half decent line for once. It's also a lot of fun to play.

Jim and Buddy (Lauderdale and Miller) did one of the early Tiny Desk Concerts and they opened with this great song Doc Watson and the Earls of Leicester among others have performed. The train whistle is property of the Raleigh Uke Jam!

The "open option" this week for songwriters has given me a chance to post two of the songs I wrote earlier in the year for FAWM (February Album Writing Month) which have never quite fitted any of the intervening seasons.

This first one was born from a challenge in which the host of the challenge gave each of us who joined in the fun the name of a famous song and we had to write a new song with that title.**

I was sent the Monkees' old hit "I'm a Believer" and this is the result:

**PS I almost used this idea as the theme for my recent season.

So, here is number two. It is also the fruit of the FAWM sessions. This time I can't remember what the inspiration was, but it would certainly fit the category of "right to reply" I used on my Season 406 - since the narrator in this is almost the exact opposite in character to the guy in the song above "I'm a Believer". This guy is determined to keep his feet on the ground and avoid belief systems at all cost.

Hope you enjoy:

My next one needs another set up video. It's only half original and as Kevin said he was interested if anyone could make a connection with the Tiny Desk...

Lay Phyu was on "a" tiny desk,

Tallest Man on Earth cover.I like this guy as a lyricist..always gets my interest with quirky ideas / visuals he creates.Often plays songs capoed way up on the guitar...so they translate well to uke sonics.

Last edited:
Original lyrics are in Myanmar language. Not a direct translation, just keeping the same themes. I've been wanting to do an English version of a popular Myanmar song for some time, and Lay Phyu and his band Iron Cross seemed a good choice - but they burned me once already in Season 400. My cover of their Burmese song was itself a cover of an English song. Not this one... There's lots of songs that go I-V-vi-IV, but adding the "add6" on the D (capo 2) and the power-A, makes this song interesting. The video is a new mega-complex they're finishing up in my neighborhood.

Howdy boys and girls, i've been out of pocket most of yesterday and will be again today. Just updated the playlist and I'm sprinting out the door. But never fear, I will return and catch up on comments etc. :) You still have a few days if inspiration and opportunity strike. Wishing you will be well ~

Ahoy
10 years ago (and this year as well) the Swedish artist The Tallest Man on Earth had an excellent set on the Tiny Desk.
Here is my attempt at I won't be found

I interrupt this season briefly to announce that Season 409 intro has been published

Now back to Season 408 Which still has some time to run.

Here is my version of Bedouine "All of these days"
She played at the tiny desk on the 7th May 2018 according to youtube

Last edited:
this, a song by the Mountain Goats
from the Heretic Pride LP (2008)

I believe the playlist is up to date now. There are 49 videos at last count. Thanks to everyone who's been able to submit a video this week, and thanks to those of you who couldn't but have listened and commented.

It's just passed the midnight hour as we move into Sunday morning here in Houston. So we've got another day for those of you still working on things.

In the meantime, Geoff has announced next weeks theme, and it sounds like it's going to be a festive one!

Wishing everyone a lovely day where ever you are ~

I love the Tiny Desk series. For those who might not know, it is also released as an audio podcast. Often before the video is on YT.

Here's a meta one for you - An artist who performed at the TD who wrote a song about another artist who has also played at the desk.

And another, that I had started working on for Val's season about hands. Good thing that Wilco have performed at the Tiny Desk multiple times.

Thanks for hosting Kevin.

And because I am sneaking in a week of field work beforehand, and then traveling sans uke to see family over the holidays I just want to say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc. to all of you and your loved ones. See you in the New Year!

A little later than usual for me but wanted to make it to the party. Rosanne Cash performed in the Tiny Desk series and this is a song on one of her albums.

Top Bottom