FS: Hoffmann ML Style Custom Cedar Top Koa Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCTeaches

Reaction score
Hoffmann ML Style Custom Cedar Top Koa Tenor
Excellent Condition: $1,750
https://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-ml-style-custom-cedar-top-koa-tenor-hmlt2027.html

This is a gorgeous ukulele that I’m not playing enough with other obligations, so it’s time for a new happy owner. This was sold to me in Excellent condition by a wonderful UU member two years ago. Now it will come to you in Excellent condition from my uke enthusiast smoke-free, humidity controlled home.

IMG_8379.jpgIMG_8362.jpgIMG_8367.jpgIMG_8368.jpgIMG_8374.jpg

From the original Ukulele Site listing:
This incredible custom tenor features a unique western red cedar top with perfect vertical grain and all shop-made purfling crafted from wood selected for this instrument. The binding is selected brown ebony and the bridge and fretboard are Kamagong ebony (Diospyros blancoi). This highly desirable native ebony species, while not endangered, is not currently available outside the Philippines this wood was harvested over 100 years ago and shipped to the U.S. in 1949. The back and sides are gorgeous Hawaiian curly koa and shown off with a flawless gloss finish. The feel is wonderful with nice low action and the tone is exquisite! Take a listen as Corey gives us a "raw" sound sample and a few thoughts on this phenomenal new instrument.

If you aren't already familiar with Hoffmann ukuleles they are made in Missouri by Jerry Hoffmann. His M-style was first introduced in 2007 as a stylistic departure from traditional shaped ukuleles. They featured a forward shifted waist and cantilevered neck with a "reverse heel" neck block. Improvements have been made along the way that include a lighter heel block, bolt-on neck, improved bracing and bridge design, and the introduction of the ML series with its larger body. This has now become Jerry's most popular shape because of it's unique and attractive design and its deep, warm tone.

Jerry Hoffman is a master craftsman and artist. He obviously went way beyond the manual on how to build an ukulele. Each aspect of this build reflects an incredible amount of thought and development. The neck joint on this ukulele is extremely strong because of the "full heel block" that Hoffmann designed. He discusses this method at his article Ukulele Neck Joints. The result is a graceful neck unaffected by the body joint or any issues that can come up around the 'tongue" of the fingerboard where it comes onto the body. It's basically an electric neck and that has some advantages with playability all the way up it. This one has the ability to be unbolted and adjusted if that was ever needed. This ukulele is built to last many generations of joyful play.

Hoffmann ukuleles are made from materials hand processed from as close their source as possible. This gives full control over the process and insures the best sound, durability and style. The actual construction of the ukulele is done entirely by hand where attention is paid to how the materials are selected, and how they will interact together as a single unit. All Hoffmann ukuleles feature an exclusive pinned nut that allows string gauge changes without replacement or modification as required with traditional nuts.

Other noteworthy aspects include the bound side sound port, Gotoh UPT tuners, an extremely comfortable mid-sized neck, a beautiful gloss finish to protect it, and a perfect fitting custom made arched-top wooden case. This is a wonderful ukulele with an awesome sound, look, and feel.

• Scale length: 17"
• Back & sides: Hawaiian Koa
• Top: Western Red Cedar
• Neck: Honduran Mahogany
• Binding: Brown Ebony
• Bound Side Sound Port
• Frets: 20, 17 to body
• Gotoh UPT Tuners
• Custom Fit Hardshell Case

Today, 12/8, I will update photos taken yesterday as soon as I can resolve a tech question!

Last edited:
Wow, stunning!

It's a pleasure to add additional photos for this Hoffmann ML. In all photos, you will see some reflections from the windows near where the photos were taken. In person, the gloss and finish are flawless -- they show Mr. Hoffmann's workmanship and the grain of the wood beautifully from every angle. And thank you, Counter -- I think so, too!

IMG_8371.jpgIMG_8373.jpgIMG_8375.jpgIMG_8370.jpgIMG_8363.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't already have two of Jerry's beautiful creations, I'd be on this one "Like a bluejay on a June bug".
His ML series have a projection and sustain that is unmatched by anyone. The koa on this one is stunning. I don't see how you can part with it. Good luck.

Sent a PM about this instrument.

Thanks so much, bariukish - and I agree - Mr Hoffmann creates a beautiful tone. It will be difficult to part with, while I’ll also be happy for the happiness someone will have.

Last edited:
What an amazing looking instrument.
Do you have theink to Corey's soundbite?

Hi, Tracie -- the video is located in the "description" tab of the ukulele site page. It's a beautiful sound sample! However, this uke has just sold -- just about to post. Thank you for your question!

Thank you all for your interest.
This Hoffmann ML is now sold.
Warm regards to all, and appreciation to the forum team as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom