Hawaii Humidity and Kaniel'a Islands Tenor

Hawaiiguy

Reaction score
I just acquired my Kaniel'a Island Premium Koa tenor as an early Christmas gift. First off, the guys over at the Ukulele site were awesome about the set-up they performed with great attention to detail even down to the way it was shipped to me here on the Big Island. We experience high humidity year round here at my elevation and in Hawaii in general, sometimes up to 75% at night and reducing to about 57% during the day. Should this necessitate using Humidity Control packs in the sound hole along with a case hygrometer to maintain humidity at 45-55%? Any help would be most appreciated....Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka to everyone!

Attachments

• Kaniel'a.jpg
    Kaniel'a.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 29
I would ask the folks at Kanile'a or The Ukulele Site. Or other uke owners nearby.

Last edited:
Beautiful instrument! I really like the grain on that one and the gloss finish really makes it pop.
75% is too high usually...definitely wouldn't want that sustained....but I agree with asking the guys where you bought it. They should know best in this case.

Here in Nuuanu Valley humidity is similar and I've had no problems with my Kaniel'a or any of my other ukuleles or guitars (no AC or dehumidifier). Many of my instruments were made on Oahu and I've owned them since the 1980s and 90s. The only time I've had problems was when I was in low humidity on the West Coast (cracked finish when it dried out too much). Also realize an instrument made in Hawaii is already well acclimated to higher humidity. If I was going to Vegas with a Kaniel'a I'd use a humidifier and keep it in a tight case.

At the Kanile'a factory tour they tell you how wood gets dried and how they work on climate controlled rooms to have environmental humidity like on the mainland. Whatever that may be. So if the ukes are exposed to higher humidity they may swell a bit leading to possibly lower action, so if that is annoying store it in an air-conditioned room. Potential damage comes from dry conditions.

Top Bottom