Shop-Built Bridge Clamps

saltytri

Reaction score
If off-the-shelf bridge clamps don't do it for you, try making them from a steel drawer pull, aluminum tubing and standard furniture bolts that are widely available at hardware stores.

49189721756_0ab0b8dc71.jpg

That is a nifty design.
The fact that the gape is adjustable up and down is an added benefit.
The heat shrink is a nice touch … I have clumsily dinged a soft top or two with 'commercial' square-edged (alloy) units.

I followed the link to your site....your work is aesthetically and technically stunning.

Cool. I have a bunch of wood clamps that I could probably make work with a few shims.

What a great tip! My only improvement would be to glue or fit on a 'V' shaped caul on the inside bottom clamp surface. The clamps tend to roll off the middle brace which goes over the bridge plate on a fan bracing scheme. Like this

Soundhole_Clamp_Cauls.jpg

.. I use Stew Macs smallest clamp and at 5" it just barely fits. Would be nice to have something slightly smaller.

What a great tip! My only improvement would be to glue or fit on a 'V' shaped caul on the inside bottom clamp surface. The clamps tend to roll off the middle brace which goes over the bridge plate on a fan bracing scheme.

Right! I just finished three of the clamps today. The next step will be to make a set of cauls that fit the curve of the underside of the bridge plate, two to use under the wings and one for the center of the bridge to accommodate the case where there is a center brace. This can be done by slotting the caul to fit over it.

Last edited:
I designed and made this Soprano Bridge clamp years ago and I've used it on every Soprano i've built since.

IMG_4825 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Top Bottom