Review or the KMISE Tenor guitar

uketanzon

Reaction score
We use a combination of Flight and Kmise ukuleles for our children/teenager ukulele group...
as they present the best value for us...

I happened to see Kmise made what they billed as a Tenor Guitar and out of curiosity
acquired one ...thru Kmise to review

Although its billed as a tenor guitar, It really is more more like a
steel string long scale baritone ukulele, than a tenor guitar size, in truth.

see pictures at

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kmise-Teno...796929?hash=item2cfddec841:g:8sgAAOSwGzBd4fHq

What I like about this Kmise instrument

- Construction quality is very good. An attractive instrument. Nice wood grain.....it presents quite well
- Nicely bound fretboard....frets filed well and smooth
- Pinned bridge and working Truss Rod..
- Some small binding evident which is nice
- Tuners nice and attractive
- strap buttons installed
- Very nice looking soft case
- Added picks and truss rod tool and strap

Action
Overall it was very decent, action at 12 fret low e string was high, 3mm.
but with a truss rod adjustment I lowered to 2.5 mm on the 12 fret. Plays much
better now, and not getting any buzz. I also cut a few nut slots to my personal height preference.
But these are pretty standard adjustments I make to all instruments.

Sound
overall has a nice sound ..It does sound pleasing finger picked. Strumming should be lightly done and above the soundhole for better sound and clarity, like a ukulele.

soundbite...song Saltwater Joys, a Newfoundland folk song
https://soundcloud.com/user-670358043/december-10-2019-2-49-58-pm

Value...is a great value, for sure, new owner may need some tweeks and minor adjustments to
action..maybe try different strings...and alternate tunings...
I tuned mine dgbe.

overall...its a nice instrument ...and you can buy on ebay or amazon
between $59-79 dollars..

Michael Tanner

Attachments

• D7FCE1F3-DFFA-4D42-977B-D11091D94650.jpg
    D7FCE1F3-DFFA-4D42-977B-D11091D94650.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 69
  • 7C3117C5-C565-4FDD-B2A3-4B911E2656F2.jpg
    7C3117C5-C565-4FDD-B2A3-4B911E2656F2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 54
  • CA7F8E71-F94D-49EB-B24F-AEAA5A13EC16.jpg
    CA7F8E71-F94D-49EB-B24F-AEAA5A13EC16.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 49
  • 71AD8681-96FF-423E-A6FC-18C8DE5927DB.jpg
    71AD8681-96FF-423E-A6FC-18C8DE5927DB.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DE45A0C4-F0C7-411F-9712-43202386D7D7.jpg
    DE45A0C4-F0C7-411F-9712-43202386D7D7.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Looks real nice for the money.

I just converted my Washburn Rover to a tenor guitar. An eighth turn up set it just right.
I don't have a tuner yet. I believe it is currently tuned ADGB. But I'd like to try a wider CDGA as soon as I can figure out the particulars.

I just stumbled on this on YouTube. I have been agonising over upgrading my six string acoustic because I like the sound of steel strings or accepting that i enjoy playing four strings more and upgrading my ukulele. This may be the ideal, affordable opportunity to experiment.

Edit: ouch, shipping is the same cost as the instrument

Last edited:
I just put real guitar strings on it, 11/50, dgbe, and its sounds pretty good! especially finger picked....and the truss rod works fine. I think it a bargain. you can find on amazon or ebay with free or reasonable shipping.

You know I had the washburn rover, and my sounded so dead and muted I sold it. Maybe I got a bad one. I like the sound of this kmise much better.

I’ve never seen sealed fear tuners with clear top so you can see the gears! Cool! How is quality of the tuners?

there fine...no issues.
after experimenting a while, with bari tuned dgbe, like the sound best tuned one step down, I think that is the sweet spot.

You know I had the washburn rover, and my sounded so dead and muted I sold it. Maybe I got a bad one. I like the sound of this kmise much better.

Meh. It is what it is...a high quality built cigar box sized guitar that I can carry around with me wherever I might go.
And nice sized neck for my tenor guitar conversion with the wide string spacing that I wanted.

I think it sounds pretty good. But didn't expect a stagelike sound. A little bassier than a banjo or a uke though. And I love the ultra-compact dimensions and sturdy little case it came with.

For the eighty bucks I spent, I'm really happy with it. Although I might try some classical strings for a little softer sound and feel.

Attachments

• 20191208_145554~2.jpg
    20191208_145554~2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Would the kmise sound ok with the lower adgb tuning or is d as low as it will go?

Also, thanks to rakele regards aliexpress tip, can see some kmise ukes but no tenor guitar for now. Will keep checking

Meh. It is what it is...a high quality built cigar box sized guitar that I can carry around with me wherever I might go.
And nice sized neck for my tenor guitar conversion with the wide string spacing that I wanted.

I think it sounds pretty good. But didn't expect a stagelike sound. A little bassier than a banjo or a uke though. And I love the ultra-compact dimensions and sturdy little case it came with.

For the eighty bucks I spent, I'm really happy with it. Although I might try some classical strings for a little softer sound and feel.

How did you mod the nut? Thanks

Last edited:
Would the kmise sound ok with the lower adgb tuning or is d as low as it will go?

Also, thanks to rakele regards aliexpress tip, can see some kmise ukes but no tenor guitar for now. Will keep checking

How did you mod the nut? Thanks

I hope you're asking uketanzon that first question. I'm just a newb with some toys. But I would assume you could tune the KMise however you want.
I don't know the construction of thebracing. So not sure how lower tension strings mat affect the sound.

For my Rover, I intend to replace the nut. I'll move the number one string up a mm or two for clearance(I keep inadvertently rubbing against it with my index finger.
Initial alterations to the nut were crudely filed with a fine serated edge kitchen knife.

Just an update, I started building my own tenor, with the stew mac dyi build kit, the build kit is $130, plus all the tools and clamps and glue and sandpaper and tru oil and so on and so on..hmaybe another easy $100. Plus the time to learn and read the instructions and watch the vedios.....its a big time commitment and I am into this laminate build for $230 and lots of hours.

then I look at this kmise tenor guitar instrument with a nice case. Fretwork is wonderfull, even has fretboard binding. nice quality nut and saddle. bracing on the inside looks sharp and clean, no glue over hang or excess ... very nice tuners. Neck joint is nice and flush to body, wood is attractive...$60 bucks, hard to believe, do not know how its possible.

Ha, when I am done with my build it wont be as nice as the 60 buck Kmise, being honest.

Attachments

• FC385AF4-021C-4930-BDC9-9E9A8BA47472.jpg
    FC385AF4-021C-4930-BDC9-9E9A8BA47472.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1CF5C2B5-0AA0-4CF0-9017-9DA27D7CB59C.jpg
    1CF5C2B5-0AA0-4CF0-9017-9DA27D7CB59C.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Congrats on a nice instrument. I have a recent Kmise tenor uke which looks very similar. Frankly, I was shocked how good it sounds for $43.00 shipped. Sure, I'd like a bit wider nut and string spread, but it has a great sound and playability, I've done a few videos with it over on the Seasons. This is the one uke of mine where Aquilas sound just great to me, woody & strong. Seems that Kmise is stepping up their game.

Have ordered one and also luna bass uke flatwounds which are same tuning as 4 low strings of guitar. Plan to use as travel piccolo bass and will likely add kmise uke electronics.

Kmise is a great entry brand. I've bought several for students and as gifts. Just got the tenor guitar. Great deal. However, I still like my Ohana baritone better. Mellower and almost as loud as the steel strung tenor guitar.

Top Bottom