The Coventry Carol

wwelti

Reaction score
It was quite interesting to arrange this piece for re-entrant ukulele. Maybe it would have been easier with low-G -- and you know that I really prefer re-entrant tuning! Anyway, I think it turned out nicely though!

Lovely, Wilfried. Thank you for providing a reflective moment in my day.
Jan

Thanks for posting this, beautiful playing and very seasonal. Always a joy to listen to one of your videos and you make the challenging (certainly impossible for me and to play) look so easy, such things do inspire one to try again and to try harder.

It’s nice to see your Bruko dusted off and in use again. To my ears mine had a tendency to sound a bit plinky (mostly on the A string IIRC) and I seem to need tall(er) frets too so I ended up letting it go, but yours sings out rather nicely. I guess that the operator makes a lot of difference :) and my memory of my Bruko is of a product of exceptionally good build quality.

Please keep playing and posting links here. Your stuff is always lovely to hear and it reminds folk of what a Soprano is capable of, or maybe even meant for, and that’s playing classic type (including classical) unaccompanied music.

Last edited:
Thanks, my friends.

Graham: It's wild how different brükos can be in sound. I really have the impression my Brüko No.6 is improving all the time, and I'm playing it since more than 10 years now... However I believe it was a good one from the beginning. That's why I always try to hand-select ukuleles. I discovered it when I was visiting Brüko's outlet store, and this one was reduced in price even because of an "imperfection" -- some structure in the wood of the neck, I couldn't care less about that -- actually it gives the instrument a nice personality! But I instantly liked its sound. I thought it was a bit better than its siblings! At the beginning I had a hard time to really make it sing though, but I learned to get along with it over time. I filed down the nut slits a bit too. And I put brown medium Worths on it. And -- I played it a lot then. And now I'm really beginning to value it more and more. It's a great instrument and works so well with early music!

Best Regards
Wilfried

Absolutely beautiful! That's one of my favorite. I always enjoy hearing your playing!

It's wild how different brükos can be in sound. I really have the impression my Brüko No.6 is improving all the time, and I'm playing it since more than 10 years now... However I believe it was a good one from the beginning. That's why I always try to hand-select ukuleles. I discovered it when I was visiting Brüko's outlet store ...

Many thanks for sharing all of the comments and insights in your post. The additional information has corrected some of my expectations and logic, very helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom