NUD: Petros Custom Tenor

mnb128

Reaction score
A few months ago, there was a fair bit of attention on the forums around Petros Ukuleles after The Ukulele Site posted this podcast featuring two of their ukes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpUoCG2Ih9k

At the time the podcast came out, I had already budgeted for a high end uke that was meant to be built this summer, one that looked like it wasn't going to pan out, so I was on the lookout for something that might catch my eyes and ears.

Then I saw the podcast. I'd never seen Corey and Kalei gush over instruments the way they did in that episode. Even had they not, for some reason the sound of those ukes, especially the redwood, was intoxicating to me. I must've listened to the two of them playing with my eyes closed a dozen times, just taking it in.

I emailed Bruce Petros that night. It was 11:58 pm. He emailed me right back. It was a good start.

One of the debates on the forums a few weeks back was about the elaborate nature of Bruce's builds, many of which incorporate really intricate purfling, rosette, and inlay designs. Some loved it. Some felt it was too rich for their taste. For me, it was a little of both. I think his most intricate works are stunningly beautiful works of art, and I believe anybody would be lucky to own one. However, that style isn't exactly for me. I like a simpler, more subtle kind of elegance. So, I asked Bruce if we could do something more 'simple' incorporating a regular wood rosette and purfling and a plain, logo-free headstock.

He said yes without hesitation. So, we worked out a few little details, and in short order I was on his build list.

The result is what you see in the pictures.

It's curly, sinker redwood paired with Claro Walnut, cherry binding, spalted maple accompaniments, butternut neck, ebony fretboard and bridge, and Rubner tuners.

In person, it's absolutely beautiful to look at. The Rubner tuners are buttery smooth. It's feather-light to hold, easy to play, and it sounds like an absolute dream. The tone is warm and sweet with wonderful sustain and volume. The strings are plain, old Aquila's. Whenever I'm away from it I think to myself that I want to change the strings to one of my favorite fluorocarbon sets just to see what it sounds like. Then, when I pick it up and play a few notes I think, nope. Not yet. It sounds so, so good as it is.

I've uploaded a few pieces to Soundcloud in case you want some samples. There are a few bobbles in each, but I'm no professional. There are a couple of harsh notes toward the end of 'Musicbox,' but that is all me. I have a hard time stretching for some of the notes, and can't chord the string all that cleanly.

https://soundcloud.com/user-104262065/sets/petros

Or, if you want to listen to something substandard and far less professional (joking), you can watch this video of Corey playing the same sinker redwood and Claro walnut combo. The second half of the video is 'The Mystery,' and it's fantastic.

https://vimeo.com/357692437

The build is immaculate inside and out. It's clear that Bruce is meticulous in his work. There's not a speck of imperfection anywhere to be seen, and sometimes rather than play, I just sit there turning it over in my hands, it's so beautiful.

Just a couple of notes on working with Bruce. He was great to communicate with, funny and helpful throughout the whole process. Night or day, he was very responsive, as was his son, Matt, whom I communicated with a couple of times. I asked for a few changes late in the build, and he took it all in stride. He also set me up with a photo journal, so I could see the build as it was coming along.

When he first added me to his list, he told me it shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 months. I had it in hand in less than 4.

Long story short, there are three Petros ukes still up and available at The Ukulele Site, which I'm a little shocked by based on how quickly the first two sold. Corey, Kalei, and Brittni also give one a spin on this podcast that's not up on the site yet. It starts at about 43:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9DKbcxiAqs

Yes, they're pricey, but so are a lot of builders. If you've been sitting on the fence about whether to pull the trigger on one of them because you're not that familiar with the builder, I wouldn't hesitate at all. You won't be disappointed. Or, if those designs aren't your cup of tea, reach out directly to Bruce. His entry point is comparable to a lot of others, and as I said, he's great to communicate with and will be patient with any questions you have.

And, if my opinion isn't all that valuable to you, and truly, why would it be, maybe you'll trust Kimo Hussey. Fast forward to 22:00 and watch from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEPurBsw4M

Thanks for taking the time to read. Hope I didn't bore you to death with the length of this post. I just like to tell the whole story sometimes.

Feel free to hit me up with questions if you've got any.

Aloha, everybody.

Matt

39 3-4.jpg39Back.jpg39 3-4Close.jpg39Front.jpg39Frontclose.jpg

Matt, that is gorgeous! I'm with you, I prefer something less ornate. This is a fantastic compromise. It sounds equally fantastic with no compromise on the sound.

Love that walnut in the body. Great selections on the woods.

Enjoy it.

Wow! The look, the sound, all of it! Congrats on a gorgeous uke. I, too, like simple.

BTW, the binding on the fretboard sets everything off in a gorgeous fashion. Well done.

mikhou

Gorgeous uke. I’d never even heard of Petros Ukuleles until last week. I tend to, generally, like a plainer looking uke, but that would only be my first consideration, most important would be how it felt in my hands, and how it sounded. I’m sure we’ve all had those moments when we pick up an instrument, any instrument, and feel a connection with it right away. The next person to pick the same instrument up may feel the opposite, but for us, it’s just “right”.

I cannot imagine keeping silent and not shout to the world (or uu at least) when had this beautiful uke being built. Thanks for sharing with us.

Congratulations on a beautiful Ukulele. Sinker redwood is definitely my favorite tonewood. Happy Strumming :)

Congratulations. I agree with your aces sent. I do like the less ornate trims. The wood choices and more subtle binding, rosette and purfling look fantastic. Love the sound. It should give you a lot of pleasure. Thanks for pointing out the possibilities. These ukes sound great

Love the chunky bat shaped tuners. What brand are they?

Edit- Rubner, sorry just re-read

So nice. Blessed!

Love the chunky bat shaped tuners. What brand are they?

Edit- Rubner, sorry just re-read

Yeah, they are pretty sweet looking, but they feel even better. Never thought I'd get excited about the feel of my tuners, but I really can't get over how smooth they are.

Thanks, everyone for reading and the comments. This one pretty much an impulse buy. I had never even heard of Petros until maybe April of this year when someone posted pics in the 'If you could by any ukulele' thread. That put them on my radar a bit, but I certainly wasn't going out of my way to research them. When I heard the sound samples, though, it sealed it for me instantly. I knew it was a good fit for me and the sound I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Congratulations on a wonderful instrument and very positive experience having it built. I agree with you that some of the Petros builds are a bit much even for my taste, which tends towards some bling.

As to those three Petros ukes still on HMS, they are at the extreme end of even the very highest priced ukes, up there in price with DeVine, Grimes and MBU (each typically over $5K), which means they are simply outside most people's financial means. I think the market falls off dramatically after $3,500 and even that is well beyond what most people can afford. I also think that when you can commission exactly what you want and have it within 6 months, a lot of people will wait. Whereas for the three I mentioned, there is quite a wait.

Enjoy your beauty!

Congratulations on a wonderful instrument and very positive experience having it built. I agree with you that some of the Petros builds are a bit much even for my taste, which tends towards some bling.

As to those three Petros ukes still on HMS, they are at the extreme end of even the very highest priced ukes, up there in price with DeVine, Grimes and MBU (each typically over $5K), which means they are simply outside most people's financial means. I think the market falls off dramatically after $3,500 and even that is well beyond what most people can afford. I also think that when you can commission exactly what you want and have it within 6 months, a lot of people will wait. Whereas for the three I mentioned, there is quite a wait.

Enjoy your beauty!

You make some good points, and I know you have some experience with custom instruments! Your 'The Tree' Hive is one of the most beautiful ukuleles I've ever seen. I'm sure it's even better in person.

Thanks for chiming in!

Congratulations on an amazing instrument. When the guys at HMS get that excited about an instrument you know the builder is a good one. Redwood and walnut is one of my favorite pairings. My I’iwi tenor is redwood and Claro walnut and my Kimo super concert is sinker redwood and black walnut.

Your sound samples give a great representation of the tone. It is full, resonant with wonderful clarity and note separation, the full package. Enjoy it as I am sure you are and will for a long time to come

Holy cow, Matt, you've got a winner there. That is gorgeous!
Yes, had I the funds, Petros or Devine would be my 1st choice.
When I saw the smiles on Kalei and Corey's faces, I was sold.
Never have I seen them so excited.
Keep on pickin'.

Top Bottom